Quote: FrGamble
If God loved you enough you could surely offend Him

Even that is far fetched. If there
was a god, why would he be
so egocentric as to let himself
be offended by something as
ridiculous as humans. Silliness
personified.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 13th, 2019 at 6:11:19 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
If God loved you enough you could surely offend Him and guess what God does love you that much. Loves you so much He will always forgive you as well.

In regards to sin, just think back a few minutes ago to one of your offensive posts or something else in your life that made you feel bad and you will have a better understanding of sin.

Just looks at how he pokes at you, and everyone. He gets his enjoyment out of causing misery to others. That is his "personal edification" which is supposed to mean enlightenment or expansion of knowledge, not personal pleasure
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
May 13th, 2019 at 7:05:50 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Dalex64
Just looks at how he pokes at you, and everyone.

God pokes at people to advance them
along, that's how the myth goes. He's
always on your side. But then he's
on everybody's side, which means he's
on nobody's..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 15th, 2019 at 1:59:19 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
One particular problem for reincarnation I think is, seems like more people would come back and reveal things like where all those Mayan cities were in South America. They could identify the location of some ship wrecks and even specifically what was carried on that ship. Burial places of artifacts, many of which are still buried. Even given the difficulty of knowing a geographic area today, which no longer goes by the same name, the description of plants, animals, seasons, star positions, trade, might all be able to be used to locate the remains of place to do a dig.

Sure there are some good reasons why this might fail, for instance, how are going to you identify a place in a large body of sand like the Sahara? But I don't buy that totally. Someone could still predict that someone will find something like the Sphinx even it they don't know where it was buried. And is there some reason why there aren't several hundred murder cases solved by victims being reincarnated? And ID the location of bones of missing people who were never found? Or more location of buried or hidden valuables? There's also some debates of history they could settle, perhaps knowing where evidence existed for a certain theory to settle something once and for all.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 15th, 2019 at 4:16:34 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: rxwine
One particular problem for reincarnation I think is, seems like more people would come back and reveal thing

You're talking about the Shirley
McLane type. In the real reincarnation
it doesn't work like that. The kids
who died violently or unexpectedly
in the last life lose the memories
by age 5.
May 15th, 2019 at 8:53:00 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Evenbob

Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”.. Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail

No Xtions I know do this or
anything close. Not even priests.

FrG still hasn't addressed this. Jesus makes
it pretty clear what his followers have to
do, yet none that I know do anything
like it. Even FrG has a truck and Nflix
and I'm sure has access to all the
privileges and pleasantries of modern
life. The opposite of the life Jesus
prescribed.

Remember, Jesus main teaching, the
one he taught in his 3 years of ministry,
he harped on it daily, that these were
the final times, god was coming and
it will soon be judgement day. Xtions
today act like they never heard that
before.
May 17th, 2019 at 3:34:35 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67

Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”.. Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail

No Xtions I know do this or
anything close. Not even priests.

I was just thinking again on this strange criticism of Evenbob, especially because I'm not sure if he did or not but I think he was pretty critical of me when I was discerning the call to become a monk not so long ago who do sell everything they have and focus only on their treasure in Heaven. It shouldn't come as a suprise that Bob misses the context of this episode in the life of Jesus. He is talking to a rich young man who is living well the commandments of God. Jesus sees in this man the call to give away all he has to the poor. This doesn't mean that Jesus asks everyone to do this. What Jesus does ask is for all of us to put God first and to not be possessed by our possessions. The things of the world, even Netflix, can be good and used for good. Money itself is not evil, we need it and can use it to do great things. The key for me and how I try to live (often unsuccessfully) is to use the worldly things in my life to give glory and honor to God.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 17th, 2019 at 4:56:16 PM permalink
Evenbob
IMoney itself is not evil,

Oh yeah?

"it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God"

The meaning is obvious. But I'm sure
the Church has some other convoluted
explanation about what it 'really' means.
May 17th, 2019 at 5:25:40 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Oh yeah?

"it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God"

The meaning is obvious. But I'm sure
the Church has some other convoluted
explanation about what it 'really' means.

It is not convoluted. A rich man who is possessed by his possessions and not willing to share or help others makes it hard for them to enter the kingdom of God. Yet the next verse gives when the disciples question Jesus about this gives hope by saying, "yet everything is possible for God.". Do you really think that Jesus is saying any rich person cannot enter the Kingdom of God? You need to read more Scripture my friend.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 17th, 2019 at 8:03:07 PM permalink
Evenbob
It is not convoluted. A rich man who is possessed by his possessions and not willing to share or help others makes it hard for them to enter the kingdom of God. .

Yet that's not what it says, that's what
you make it say. And 300 other versions
of Xtionity will say it differently. I've
seen religions on the backs of cereal
boxes that make more sense than
Xtionity.