Simple question?

Thread Rating:

May 17th, 2019 at 8:18:05 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I don't think any other Christian would say something different. Where are you going with this?

The reality is pretty clear Jesus is teaching us to not be a slave to worldly things. I don't really know how it can be more clear.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 17th, 2019 at 11:10:19 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
I don't think any other Christian would say something different..

You've never heard of the Amish,
or the Mennonites, then. Or even
the Anabaptists.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 18th, 2019 at 7:02:01 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
You've never heard of the Amish,
or the Mennonites, then. Or even
the Anabaptists.

I think those examples above would agree that Jesus is teaching us not to be slaves to worldly things. In fact some of their practices and traditions make that vividly clear.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 18th, 2019 at 10:41:14 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble
I think those examples above would agree that Jesus is teaching us not to be slaves to worldly things. .

They would also say the sun
comes up in the east, so
what. They take the passage
literally, no rich people are
getting into heaven. Because
that's what it says.

That's why Xtionity is the worst
religion, nobody knows what it
really says. 2500 different
offshoots, and counting. And they
all think they're right.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 18th, 2019 at 11:58:28 AM permalink
FrGamble
You are just being silly now. The Amish don't believe no rich people are getting into Heaven. All Christians believe very much the same things and for the majority of time that Christanity has existed we have all been part of one Church.
May 18th, 2019 at 12:48:02 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Don't all people that identify as Christian think they are going to Heaven? People being the general self serving creatures that they are, why even pretend if there isn't something in it for them, or so they think?

Right off the get go, they are doing it for the wrong reason. The jokes on them.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 18th, 2019 at 2:39:46 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: petroglyph
Right off the get go, they are doing it for the wrong reason. The jokes on them.

The jokes on all the god religions. There
is no heaven, no reward or punishment.
Fairy stories concocted to keep people
in line. What you see right here and now
is what you get, until you die and start
it all over again. Boring, huh.

Heaven and hell play much better, lots
of melodrama. Meeting all your
dead relatives and pets again, rewards
galore for kissing gods ass all you life.

Big surprise coming. But it won't be a
surprise at all because you've done this so
many times already.
May 19th, 2019 at 1:25:48 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
The jokes on all the god religions. There is no heaven, no reward or punishment. Fairy stories concocted to keep people in line.

There is no Free Lunch either and no advantage play, but that doesn't prevent various members of the Gambler's Sect from prosletizing and distributing tracts about a positive edge.
May 19th, 2019 at 6:02:52 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
If there
was a god, why would he be
so egocentric

Bob has plagiarized my brain.

Ever since I was very young (9ish?) I've always questioned why my Hebrew prayers were basically a continuous praising of God. Multiple different prayers that all had the same theme. I felt that the omnipotent, omnipresent would not need us people to continually pray for him, nor would he WANT us to! There must be better things that he's want the humans to do....
May 19th, 2019 at 6:38:04 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: SOOPOO
Bob has plagiarized my brain.

Ever since I was very young (9ish?) I've always questioned why my Hebrew prayers were basically a continuous praising of God. Multiple different prayers that all had the same theme. I felt that the omnipotent, omnipresent would not need us people to continually pray for him, nor would he WANT us to! There must be better things that he's want the humans to do....
What are you supposed to do condemn and complain to God? That's what the Israelites did and it didn't get them very far.