Simple question?

Thread Rating:

May 20th, 2019 at 11:11:14 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
If I didn't think God exists I would hope that I would be moral and smart enough to not become the sole judge of my purpose, meaning, and what I should do. Of course if I was silly enough to think that God did not exist then there is no telling what I might think.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 20th, 2019 at 11:48:51 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
If I didn't think God exists I would hope that I would be moral and smart enough to not become the sole judge

That's NOT what I said! What I said
was, if you start a church thinking
a god exists, when one really doesn't,
you then become the god. You get
to make rules torturing people who
don't agree with you, even burning
them at the stake if you feel like it.

Sound familiar, that's the history
of YOUR church.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 1st, 2019 at 1:09:45 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
FrGamble, if you thought God was wrong about something, why not just stand up to him and take your beating?

I would suggest a few thing Catholics encourage are less than ideal to say the least. I'm sure I would take a beating over the discouragement of condom use by married couples in particular. But there are other things as well. Like women in the priesthood. Do you really think Jesus would object to women priests in today's climate?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 1st, 2019 at 2:05:30 PM permalink
FrGamble
I don't know about God, He is perfect, but the Church He founded is not and believe you me, I have stood up to things I think are wrong, and maybe need to do more. However in regards to the example you mentioned I have seen too many marriages change for the better through Natural Family Planning.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 1st, 2019 at 2:48:08 PM permalink
Evenbob
I have seen too many marriages change for the better through Natural Family Planning.

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) cites an overall FABM typical use failure rate of 24%, that is of 100 women who use them in a year, 24 will get pregnant. "

Why bother to do all that work,
just use condoms. Which most
Catholics do.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 2nd, 2019 at 11:19:39 AM permalink
FrGamble
If you go right to the CDC website they list the effectiveness of NFP as low as 2% when done correctly. It makes sense it is a great system it just uses our natural cycles and helps women and men better understand her body.
June 2nd, 2019 at 12:50:44 PM permalink
Evenbob
as low as 2% when done correctly. .

And there is the fly in the
proverbial ointment. It's
almost impossible to do
it 100% correctly all the
time. That's why it has a
24% failure rate.

I knew a couple who tried
it for 3 months and almost
lost their minds. Their final
conclusion was, are you
fricking kidding me? Abstinence
is easier.
June 2nd, 2019 at 1:38:54 PM permalink
FrGamble
It does not have a high failure rate, it is one of the best. It uses or biology and not harmful chemicals and hormones. It does take some education and effort, anything so important should, but it changes relationships for the better. It is the best way by far in planning families. I doubt you've really known a couple who've tried it, but I know you get rightfully upset when accused of lying, so therefore let me tell you that 3 months is not an adequate time frame to judge the benefits of NFP.

[Edit: do you at least realize the falsity of your statement about the CDC actually says? There is no typical high failure rate and yet when pointed out you continue to use it. You remind me of someone who decries fake news but continues to spread it.]
June 2nd, 2019 at 3:21:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
It does not have a high failure rate, it is one of the best..]

There are a TON of articles like
this out there.

The Super Suckage of NFP

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/barefootandpregnant/2012/04/the-super-suckage-of-nfp.html
June 2nd, 2019 at 5:27:02 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Argue with facts.

https://www.cdc.govPDF
Effectiveness of Contraceptive Methods - CDC
https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/contraception/unintendedpregnancy/pdf/Contraceptive_methods_508.pdf
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan