November 25th, 2019 at 9:34:27 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Beck has declared he has never been a Scientologist
Yea, right.
Leah Remini called Beck out
"Pussy move"
Gotta love Leah, never holds back when it comes to $cientology

https://tonyortega.org/2019/11/25/leah-remini-calls-becks-sudden-scientology-defection-a-pussy-move/
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 19th, 2019 at 9:35:45 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
This is last part of an editorial from some of your evangelical friends (Billy Graham), or as you might call them the wayward ones. The link is on the impeachment thread

Quote:
To the many evangelicals who continue to support Mr. Trump in spite of his blackened moral record, we might say this: Remember who you are and whom you serve. Consider how your justification of Mr. Trump influences your witness to your Lord and Savior. Consider what an unbelieving world will say if you continue to brush off Mr. Trump’s immoral words and behavior in the cause of political expediency. If we don’t reverse course now, will anyone take anything we say about justice and righteousness with any seriousness for decades to come? Can we say with a straight face that abortion is a great evil that cannot be tolerated and, with the same straight face, say that the bent and broken character of our nation’s leader doesn’t really matter in the end?

We have reserved judgment on Mr. Trump for years now. Some have criticized us for our reserve. But when it comes to condemning the behavior of another, patient charity must come first. So we have done our best to give evangelical Trump supporters their due, to try to understand their point of view, to see the prudential nature of so many political decisions they have made regarding Mr. Trump. To use an old cliché, it’s time to call a spade a spade, to say that no matter how many hands we win in this political poker game, we are playing with a stacked deck of gross immorality and ethical incompetence. And just when we think it’s time to push all our chips to the center of the table, that’s when the whole game will come crashing down. It will crash down on the reputation of evangelical religion and on the world’s understanding of the gospel. And it will come crashing down on a nation of men and women whose welfare is also our concern.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 20th, 2019 at 6:57:30 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: rxwine
This is last part of an editorial from some of your evangelical friends (Billy Graham), or as you might call them the wayward ones. The link is on the impeachment thread
Billy Graham the evangelical has been dead awhile. Billy Graham the wrestler is still above ground but in ill health.
December 20th, 2019 at 9:31:58 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: FrGamble
I think the Commandment covers all lying in general.

Nope. Doctors often, with family permission, lie to dying patients to ease suffering and give a ray of hope. I would guess you have done the same and do not consider it a sin.
December 21st, 2019 at 4:50:34 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Withholding the truth or not fully sharing information that someone does not need to know isn't lying.

On another note I really liked the Christianity Today piece.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 23rd, 2019 at 7:48:29 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
December 23rd, 2019 at 1:05:37 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I can only say that he has a negative view of what he calls prosletizing. I think by this he means to just try to convince someone by arguments of words that they should convert. In some ways I agree. You need to have an experience of God to truly change your beliefs, faith in Jesus is not an intellectual experience, but a relationship of love. The Pope is saying that if you live your faith consistently then it will attract others. He is talking about evangelizing by wittness not words.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 23rd, 2019 at 1:22:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
You need to have an experience of God to truly change your beliefs

Same thing with unicorns and Santa.
I'm still waiting.. Not holding my
breath in anticipation..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 23rd, 2019 at 2:15:19 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
I can only say that he has a negative view of what he calls prosletizing. I think by this he means to just try to convince someone by arguments of words that they should convert. In some ways I agree. You need to have an experience of God to truly change your beliefs, faith in Jesus is not an intellectual experience, but a relationship of love. The Pope is saying that if you live your faith consistently then it will attract others. He is talking about evangelizing by wittness not words.

I think this is a great answer! Understanding by you that you telling someone about God/Jesus is not enough.... That it has to be something internal to the previous non-believer.....
December 23rd, 2019 at 2:47:54 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: SOOPOO
Understanding by you that you telling someone about God/Jesus is not enough.... ..

But it's all they have. There is
no god for anybody to experience.
If there were there would be no
atheists, just like there's nobody
who doesn't believe the sun exists.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.