Simple question?

Thread Rating:

April 16th, 2020 at 12:39:31 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
That does seem like a good and timely sermon. This week is Divine Mercy Sunday but maybe I'll post one for the week following.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 17th, 2020 at 7:01:33 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: FrGamble
It is not discrimination to want to place a child in a loving home with a mom and a dad before wanting to place them anywhere else.

I may agree with you, but society now does not, at least here in the USA. I think it is considered discrimination to favor an opposite sex couple over a same sex couple. Or is it still something determined at the State level?
April 17th, 2020 at 1:40:46 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: SOOPOO
I may agree with you, but society now does not, at least here in the USA. I think it is considered discrimination to favor an opposite sex couple over a same sex couple. Or is it still something determined at the State level?

Maybe finding some common ground is important?

Do you think that there is any substantial difference between a same-sex couple and heterosexual couple?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 17th, 2020 at 2:52:07 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

Do you think that there is any substantial difference between a same-sex couple and heterosexual couple?

Same sex couples seem to try harder
and make better parents because
they know people are watching and
judging them.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 17th, 2020 at 3:25:05 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Maybe finding some common ground is important?

I do. But I am now in the minority.

The question you should ask me is there any difference between a same sex couple versus a single parent household when it comes to rearing a child. In some communities the single mother household outnumbers the traditional same sex couple.
April 17th, 2020 at 6:05:58 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: SOOPOO
I do. But I am now in the minority.

The question you should ask me is there any difference between a same sex couple versus a single parent household when it comes to rearing a child. In some communities the single mother household outnumbers the traditional same sex couple.

Surely you and I are not in the minority. If there are real differences between men and women it only stands to reason that there are real differences between same-sex couples and heterosexual couples.

Those real differences effect how we can rear a child. Just as heroic single parents are impacted in how they can rear a child. Would it be right to prefer a heterosexual couple over a single person who would like to adopt?
July 13th, 2020 at 11:38:24 PM permalink
Evenbob
Oh my gosh. I just discovered a
treasure trove I didn't even know
existed. It's something called
Mythicism, and their view of
the Jesus story.

Mythicists argue that in the gospels "a fictitious historical narrative" was imposed on the "mythical cosmic savior figure" created by Paul. According to Robert Price, the Gospels "smack of fictional composition", arguing that the Gospels are a type of legendary fiction and that the story of Jesus portrayed in the Gospels fits the mythic hero archetype. The mythic hero archetype is present in many cultures who often have miraculous conceptions or virgin births heralded by wise men and marked by a star, are tempted by or fight evil forces, die on a hill, appear after death and then ascend to heaven. Some myth proponents suggest that some parts of the New Testament were meant to appeal to Gentiles as familiar allegories rather than history. According to Earl Doherty, the gospels are "essentially allegory and fiction"

I'm so pleased I discovered all of
this on my own, I had no idea
a group like this even existed.
There's a hugely long article
on Wiki that has over 400
sources. I'm like a kid in candy
store, lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_myth_theory#:~:text=the%20first%20model.-,Christ%20myth%20theorists,1st%20century%20who%20was%20deified.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 14th, 2020 at 11:17:03 AM permalink
Evenbob
What is so fascinating about Xtianity
is, there are two sides to the basic
question, and both sides are vehement
in their stance. The Church says everything
in the NT is absolutely true, and the other
side says it's absolutely myth. To the point
of not even believing Jesus was a real
person.

Like so many things, the answers are in
the middle somewhere. Jesus was a real
person. most scholars believe that. He
had a ministry, he preached doom and
gloom, he died on the cross. Was he
a gods son? No more or less than any
of us are. Did he do all the sorcery he's
accused of? No. Was there a ton of stuff
made up about him in the decades and
centuries after he died? Obviously.

But to believe so strongly in either direction
is just ridiculous. Like most things in life,
truth is boring and mundane. I guess people
like to create melodrama to make things more
exciting. That's why soap opera's have always
been so wildly popular. Religion is an ongoing
soap opera.
July 14th, 2020 at 3:01:21 PM permalink
FrGamble
I feel like you and I are a soap opera.

However, I agree that answers are often found in the middle. We do have to have a healthy dose of critical study of the Sacred Scriptures so that we don't fall into the errors of blind faith or atheism.

I disagree that life is boring or mundane. Life, like truth, is exciting and mysterious. It is awesome and is always drawing us to learn and understand more about the miracle of life all around us.
July 14th, 2020 at 3:39:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
I disagree that life is boring or mundane. .

It's exactly what you make it,
you create your own reality.
For most people it's boring
and mundane. 200 years ago
Thoreau said men lead lives
of quiet desperation. People
are so bored and frustrated
drug use is an epidemic. The
easier it gets to live, the worse
it will get.