Disney Salaries

Page 1 of 212>
January 2nd, 2016 at 3:34:52 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
While the Forbes Salary numbers include sources outside of the primary TV show, with the exception of Sofia Vergara most money comes from their primary acting job.

If the salary for Star Wars was really $40 million, with about half going to Harrison Ford and Daisy Ridley making $300K-$400K, think of the return that Disney is getting on this salary vs the TV salaries that they pay.

2015 TV Actress list publications dated August & September 2015
(comedy; Modern Family)
Sofia Vergara: $28.5 million {mostly from advertisements}
Julie Bowen: $12 million,
Ty Burrell $11.5 million,
Jesse Tyler Ferguson $11 million,
Eric Stonestreet $10.5 million,
Ed O’Neill $10.5 million

Other ABC shows
Patrick Dempsey: $12 million (drama; Grey's anatomy)
Ellen Pompeo: $11.5 million (drama; Grey's Anatomy )
Kerry Washington: $7 million (drama;Scandal )
Patricia Heaton:$7 million (comedy; The Middle)

==============
Patricia Heaton's show is the same age as "Modern Family" and is now getting similar overall ratings even if the audience is older. Her supporting cast is not being paid the mega salaries. Patricia Heaton's net worth is $40 million. Neil Flynn (the former janitor from Scrubs who plays Patricia's husband) is listed as net worth of $5 million, which is less than her yearly salary.
January 2nd, 2016 at 6:08:14 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
When I worked for Disneyland I barely got paid more than minimum wage. If you deduct the mandatory union dues, I'm sure it would have been less. What that union ever did, I have no idea. Working conditions were better at Knott's Berry Farm, which had no union.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 2nd, 2016 at 6:58:32 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
When I worked for Disneyland I barely got paid more than minimum wage. If you deduct the mandatory union dues, I'm sure it would have been less. What that union ever did, I have no idea. Working conditions were better at Knott's Berry Farm, which had no union.

The union probably was there to make sure Walt's company did not use the wrong food vendors or trash service.
The President is a fink.
January 2nd, 2016 at 7:27:52 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
When I worked for Disneyland I barely got paid more than minimum wage. If you deduct the mandatory union dues, I'm sure it would have been less. What that union ever did, I have no idea. .

Walt hated unions, he was a slavemaster and
worked people into the ground for little pay.
In the 40's he made his animators work long
hours and harassed them constantly. It's no
wonder a union finally made an appearance.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 3rd, 2016 at 8:41:24 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Pacomartin

(comedy; Modern Family)
Ed O’Neill $10.5 million

Other ABC shows

Most of ABC's big salaries are from the shows not owned by Disney. The exception being Kerry Washington. But then she is the single biggest star of a the Disney owned shows.

Wicked City (O) cancelled
Blood & Oil (O) cancelled
Nashville (O)
Castle (O)
Last Man Standing <=========
The Muppets (O)
Dr. Ken (O)
Quantico (O)
Fresh Off the Boat<=========

Once Upon a Time (O)
Black-ish (O)
The Middle <=========
Agents of SHIELD (O)
How to Get Away with Murder (O)
The Goldbergs<=========
Grey’s Anatomy (O)
Scandal (O)
Modern Family<=========
January 4th, 2016 at 1:20:30 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
...If the salary for Star Wars was really $40 million, with about half going to Harrison Ford and Daisy Ridley making $300K-$400K, think of the return that Disney is getting on this salary vs the TV salaries that they pay...

I would be surprised if Harrison Ford's SW7 deal was for one-time, salary only. He may have a multi-picture, or gross profit deal in the works too.

He was badly injured during the production, so the worker's compensation settlement could be huge, all by itself.
January 4th, 2016 at 1:49:52 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Ayecarumba
I would be surprised if Harrison Ford's SW7 deal was for one-time, salary only. He may have a multi-picture, or gross profit deal in the works too.

IMDB says Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) his pay was $25,000,000 + 0.5% of gross. If that applies to worldwide gross than that is an extra $7.5 million already and they haven't released it in China yet.

I doubt that HF has a multi picture contract with Disney. I think they are hoping that they don't have to pay those kind of salaries again.

HF got $25 million plus 20% of the gross on K-19 the Widowmaker(2002), out of a total budget of $100 million. The film only returned $65,716,126 worldwide revenue, for a massive bust.

The producers were clearly hoping for a repeat of Air Force One (1997), for which Harrison was paid $22 million and no points, but which grossed over $300 million worldwide.
March 10th, 2016 at 7:06:31 AM permalink
Pacomartin
(comedy; Modern Family)

Ed O’Neill $10.5 million

Other ABC shows

Disney renewed their top 12 shows on ABC including all of the shows in the above posts.
Rico Rodriguez is getting
$75K per episode for season 4
$85K per episode for season 5
$95K per episode for season 6
$105K per episode for season 7
$115K per episode for season 8 ($2.8 million for 24 episodes)
and the girls are getting a lot more.

The salary of the eight year old who plays the adopted Chinese girls salary is undisclosed, but it seems hard to believe that she is making less than a million dollars a year.

I think this season is the last covered under the Modern Family salary negotiations. After season #8 they will be at 192 episodes.

MODERN FAMILY CHILDREN ages
8.8 Aubrey Anderson-Emmons
17.4 Noland Gould
17.6 Rico Rodriguez
18.1 Ariel Winter
25.3 Sarah Hyland

Ariel Winter was emancipated from her mother at the age of 17.
March 10th, 2016 at 11:26:00 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I watch Modern Family 6 days a week while
I eat dinner. Why does Julie Bowen make
more than Ed O'Neil? She's not in it any
more than anybody else, and she's shrill
and irritating. Ed and Ty Burrell are the stars,
they're the funniest on the show. The Gay's
were funny for the first few seasons, but
the humor has gotten old.

The kid who plays Luke has grown into just
an awful actor. He's painful to watch now,
like he's trying really hard to act and it just
comes off strained. Sofia just plays a Latino
stereotype now. It's Ed and Ty that hold the
show together. Ty Burrell is an ace at physical
comedy and they give him tons of ironic lines
also. Same with Ed, heavy on the irony.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 10th, 2016 at 1:09:19 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
Why does Julie Bowen make more than Ed O'Neil?

After three seasons and 72 episodes, it was reported that most of the adults made $65K per episode and Ed made $105K. The cast sued to have their contract renegotiated and Ed took the same salary as the others to support unity. But he gets a better deal on the syndication.

The Forbes earnings are based on all sources including commercials and other shows and movies. Ty Burrell’s bottom-line was helped by Finding Dory and his advertising relationship with Verizon Smart Rewards, while Tyler Ferguson teamed up with P&G to promote Swiffer and Febreze this past March.

Forbes does not give details on the calculations. But as I thought the cast was making $325K or $375K per episode, that would be respectively $7.8m or $9.0m for a 24 episode season. But as all earnings are listed by Forbes as considerably above that, they either make more money per episode or they make money elsewhere.

Now the viewership numbers of any of these shows wouldn't land them in the top 50 thirty years ago. M*A*S*H Special CBS drew 50,150,000 households (not people) on 2/28/83. Even adjusting for inflation, TV stars didn't make this kind of salary. So there is a question of when this business model is unsustainable.
Page 1 of 212>