Where is FrG?

Page 1 of 111234>Last »
January 4th, 2016 at 11:34:11 AM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 106
Posts: 10725
8 days ago he said he was going on vacay
for a couple of days, we've heard nothing
since. My theory is all my common sense
posts have weighted him down with questions
he has no answer for. I completely understand.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 4th, 2016 at 11:36:45 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Member since: Oct 28, 2012
Threads: 71
Posts: 1510
Quote: Evenbob
8 days ago he said he was going on vacay
for a couple of days, we've heard nothing
since. My theory is all my common sense
posts have weighted him down with questions
he has no answer for. I completely understand.


What on Earth would you do with your days if you couldn't fence with Father G.?
Mustard:You like Kipling, Miss Scarlet? Sure, I'll eat anything [from movie]
January 4th, 2016 at 2:44:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 106
Posts: 10725
Quote: odiousgambit
What on Earth would you do with your days if you couldn't fence with Father G.?


I don't call him 'father' anything, I don't
even know what that means. He's not my
father, he's not your father, why would
you call him that.

I looked it up and Jesus supposedly said
'call no man father' but the Catholics don't
think that applies to them. I guess. The
answers I read on Catholic sites were so wordy
and convoluted I gave up on them. I did
read priests don't like people asking them
that question, probably because they don't
know the answer.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 4th, 2016 at 6:25:51 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 98
Posts: 6203
Quote: Evenbob

I looked it up and Jesus supposedly said
'call no man father' but the Catholics don't
think that applies to them. I guess. The
answers I read on Catholic sites were so wordy
and convoluted I gave up on them. I did
read priests don't like people asking them
that question, probably because they don't
know the answer.


Why do you read Catholic sites if you are an atheist? I don't read atheist sites, WOT for me.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
January 4th, 2016 at 6:40:32 PM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 106
Posts: 10725
Quote: AZDuffman
Why do you read Catholic sites if you are an atheist?


Where else would I find the info if
not a Catholic site. I suppose Catholics
are the only ones allowed there.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 4th, 2016 at 6:48:57 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 98
Posts: 6203
Quote: Evenbob
Where else would I find the info if
not a Catholic site. I suppose Catholics
are the only ones allowed there.


Didn't say others were not allowed, I just wonder why someone who hates the Catholic church like you do so much along with your hatred of religion in general that you would spend time there? Seems like a muslim surfing sites for the best rib joint in Memphis.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
January 4th, 2016 at 7:08:00 PM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 106
Posts: 10725
Quote: AZDuffman
Didn't say others were not allowed, I just wonder why someone who hates the Catholic church like you do so much along with your hatred of religion in general that you would spend time there? .


Religion is highly entertaining, the Catholic
Church especially so. To an atheist all
religions are interesting for various reasons.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 4th, 2016 at 7:08:33 PM permalink
rxwine
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 116
Posts: 4759
FrGamble probably had to take a break and do something more relaxing like an exorcism.
No one has ever proven I am not God.
January 5th, 2016 at 2:06:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 106
Posts: 10725
I asked my brother in law, the Baptist minister,
about the calling a priest 'father' thing. He was
quite adamant that the NT forbids calling anybody
but god 'father' and it's just another example of
Catholics ignoring or changing scripture.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 5th, 2016 at 10:04:38 PM permalink
FrGamble
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 44
Posts: 4980
Quote: Evenbob
I asked my brother in law, the Baptist minister,
about the calling a priest 'father' thing. He was
quite adamant that the NT forbids calling anybody
but god 'father' and it's just another example of
Catholics ignoring or changing scripture.


I love talking about this issue because it shows two things. First, how problematic a fundamentalist reading of the Scripture can be and Secondly, how profoundly Biblical the Catholic Church is.

Please point out to your brother in law the times when Jesus uses the title father to refer to other human beings (Mt. 15:4-6; 19:5, 19; 21:31; Jn 8:56) Jesus uses the term "Father Abraham" for example three times in the parable in Luke chapter 16:24, 27, 30.

The ancient tradition of calling priests fathers comes from the tradition Paul established by calling himself and his disciples fathers of Churches, see Phil 2:22 and 1Cor 4:15 for just a couple of examples. This is not even bringing up the many times Jesus and others in Scripture call other people teachers or Rabbis which is supposedly forbidden by the same saying of Jesus. I'm sure your brother in law has a concordance, just ask him to look up all the times the words father or teacher is used in Scripture.

When you look at the meaning of Jesus' saying and His teaching you can clearly see along with His own practice, Paul's, and the early Church that Jesus does not mean literally call no man on earth your father. Remember who Jesus is speaking to in this part of scripture namely the prideful Pharisees who have begun to think that they take the place of God with their rules and regulations. It is a warning against spiritual pride not a commendation of word we naturally and spiritual call those who have given life and care for us or for a community.
Page 1 of 111234>Last »