Back to School?

January 4th, 2016 at 2:52:14 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I've been considering it again and figured this would be a good place to search for advice. So here I am.

No, I'm not talking the 4yr plan of borrowing money I'll never be able to pay back for a job that doesn't exist. I actually had a good idea (I think), one that sort of makes sense all the way around, no matter what happens.

Car school. You know, wrenching and whatnot.

I'm sort of trying to protect myself, should I continue (and I will) my habit of casting myself to the wind where employment is concerned. Auto mechanic, like welder, carpenter, et al, is one of those things that always seems to be available and sought after. I thought of it as sort of a safety net for the next time my ramblin' side gets the better of me.

It's a bit of money, yes, and it doesn't necessarily mean I'll automatically find employment... but it seems like there's no way to lose. Even if I never turn a single wrench on the clock, wouldn't it damn near pay for itself doing my own service on truck / racer / atv / boat? I mean, labor rates will be touching $100 an hour by the time I'm 40; it just seems like a not-stupid if not outright smart idea to have.

Any preliminary thoughts?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 4th, 2016 at 3:30:25 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
First off, you got to be happy. It is looking like most people are going to have to work till they die, so do something you like.

Wrenching on auto's is a thankless, knuckle busting ordeal. Many now are just code readers, you will end up taking out a few of your co workers, either with a torque wrench or a side arm.

Consider this. Didn't you want to fly? Mechanics schools are cranking out younger competition faster than new cars are now being sold. I urge you to go down to that little airport you so admired and ask someone around there, "who does the airplane inspections", or brings them up yearly to all AWD's? I dare you, double dare you.

Easier to catch a twenty pound steelie in the bush than even find these guys. They start at IDK, buck fitty or two, to change out a cotter key, or check the play in the yoke. God forbid you actually had to change a spark plug, but at least if you have to, you can stand up like a human being and your work is at eye level. Not crunched up like a ferret stuck in a wall, trying to make love with another ferret.

That is another reason I wouldn't want another in board motor on a boat. Getting all twisted up and hurt, just to check the oil, sheesh. Outboards, stand up, reach easy. Summer time, outboard mechanics do real well also. Where are they even putting the motors on new cars? They are hard to find.

I enjoy firing up 2-300 hp outboards or airplane motors, no mufflers, great sound...high lift cams, rev 'em up feel the ground tremble. Yearly inspection on perfectly running small aircraft is insanely expensive, performed in nice clean hangers, tunes playing etc. Car garage, meh. Changing a tranny, blah.

It would fit nicer with your personality of quality and close tolerance, and segue nicely with your race motors. I found out from guides that "fisherman are cheap" when it comes to tipping guides, but hunters are usually wealthy and tip better. You fix somebody's Ford, they will still dislike you, you fix their Maul im6, or Piper, they will let you fly it for the weekend. Your call.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 4th, 2016 at 6:24:05 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
First thought is great, school for a skill not a piece of paper. You seem inclined to this in general so not a bad thing. That is the hard part. This is a skill where if the Witness Protection Program dumps you in any strange town on Monday you can probably find work by Friday. Now to specific thoughts found off my own beat.

Where are you looking at going to school? This matters. Your local CC should have a "tech division" and if it does not my thought is you will need to haul up to Buffalo to find one with a good program. This will give you a basis, but might limit you to Pep Boys level work. You want to get better than that. The big-buck guys work at dealers.

Shoot for becoming factory certified or whatever they will call it. You will need to pick a brand. I would pick Audi. German stuff is complex and breaks. It is expensive to fix. You do the same work but get paid more on fancy cars. Audi IMHO has the best path to continued growth, it is what Buick once was; a fancy car without the snob name that makes clients wonder how much their dentist is overcharging them.

Take that advice as much as you like but you have to pick a brand. Avoid niche plays like Mitsubishi that are dying or even Mazda which can go either way. Another plus for you at the top end is you have experience dealing with suits. Don't short-sell this.

Now, this is where the school issue comes in. When I was in AZ, there was a place called MMI, which did motorcycle repair training as a sister to their auto division. If you want more info PM and I will hunt some down. The place was like going to Harvard, MIT, or for trades that culinary school in Hyde Park. IOW, it was the best and you found work if it was on your resume.

Not saying go there, saying consider where you go. If you went there you were out in IIRC 13 months. Meaning winterize your place, get a room on CL (how I met the roommate that went to the school), find PT work out there (very easy), and hunker down and live like a monk for the duration. Given your income crash you may even get some of it comped by the Feds.

That is my basic idea.
The President is a fink.
January 4th, 2016 at 7:22:53 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: petroglyph
I found out from guides that "fisherman are cheap" when it comes to tipping guides, but hunters are usually wealthy and tip better. You fix somebody's Ford, they will still dislike you, you fix their Maul im6, or Piper, they will let you fly it for the weekend. Your call.

Even the full airframe and powerplant licenses are worth it... check current union rates.

A and P for the smaller planes is good money, due to good scheduling and good conditions. Hell of a lot better than trying to absorb new manuals for car engines and put up with so much cramped conditions that you just knows it long it can still be done.

Heck, with your skills you could BUILD small planes though I think you'd enjoy building the Catamarans you have rented on vacation trips.