Quebec

Page 1 of 212>
January 5th, 2016 at 9:23:53 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I just got back from one of the best vacations in my life in the province of Quebec in Canada. My mom said they used to advertise travel there to be Friendly, Fun, Foreign, and Near. They should rekindle that advertising campaign because that is exactly as I found Montreal and Quebec City. It is like going to Europe without the long flights.

It reminded me of Europe in foreign language, culture, food, architecture, and fantastic history! The Churches are beautiful and the people were very friendly. I don't think I will need to travel to Europe again. If you haven't been to that part of Canada I can't recommend it highly enough.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 5th, 2016 at 10:20:00 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
If you haven't been to that part of Canada I can't recommend it highly enough.

And you can ride the buses in July and
the smell of sweat and garlic are nowhere
to be found. That alone is a good reason
to go there.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 5th, 2016 at 11:02:21 PM permalink
FrGamble
I'm sure someplace in Quebec you can ride a bus and find that smell, like you experienced in Italy. That does not mean that it is a universal experience for everyone that goes to Italy or Quebec.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 6th, 2016 at 2:49:03 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Nice. I should have found the time to get up there when I lived in Albany. I hear there is an underground city. How was it getting around for an English-speaker?
The President is a fink.
January 6th, 2016 at 6:31:39 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: AZDuffman
Nice. I should have found the time to get up there when I lived in Albany. I hear there is an underground city. How was it getting around for an English-speaker?

I was so worried about this because I heard the people in this province are very proud of their unique heritage and their language. My French consists of general niceties and Bon Jour. They are very proud of their uniqueness, but could not be kinder! Everyone I met speaks perfect French and usually excellent English. A "Bon Jour" leads to smiles and an easy conversation and help in English. This is especially true in tourist areas, but I found the same experience anywhere I went. It was easier and more friendly than my experiences in Europe.

Montréal has an amazing almost dizzying underground city. I can't imagine any mall, even the Mall of America coming close to the size of this underground city (mostly stores and restaurants). I'm not a big shopper and it is confusing underground, but it was something I had never seen the likes of before. By the way the metro is easy, cheap, and can get you anywhere you want to go.
January 7th, 2016 at 3:14:38 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
In the underground city, can you shake the sense that you are in a tunnel? Or are you in a tunnel?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 7th, 2016 at 3:34:20 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: odiousgambit
In the underground city, can you shake the sense that you are in a tunnel? Or are you in a tunnel?

I wonder if it is like Crystal City near DC? That place was amazing but some guy there said CC was nothing compared to Quebec.
The President is a fink.
January 7th, 2016 at 4:21:18 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: AZDuffman
I wonder if it is like Crystal City near DC? That place was amazing but some guy there said CC was nothing compared to Quebec.

I definitely never shook the feeling I was in a tunnel in Crystal City's place
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 7th, 2016 at 3:41:54 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: odiousgambit

It was a bit claustrophobic for me. You definitely know you are underground but it is so vast and sprawling that you never really feel you are in a tunnel. I can't imagine how long it took to build it and what the infrastructure looks like.
January 7th, 2016 at 4:02:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
"With over 32 km (20 mi) of tunnels spread over more than 12 km2 (4.6 sq mi), connected areas include shopping malls, apartment buildings, hotels, condominiums, banks, offices, museums, universities, seven Metro stations, two commuter train stations, a regional bus terminal, and the Bell Centre amphitheatre and arena"

20 miles of tunnels? They must have a huge
maintenance dept.

20 miles of this? I'm lost already.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 1 of 212>