Quebec

Page 2 of 2<12
January 7th, 2016 at 4:25:37 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: odiousgambit
In the underground city, can you shake the sense that you are in a tunnel? Or are you in a tunnel?

I've been to Montreal lots of times. Maybe I somehow missed it, but I got the impression the "underground city" is mainly some shopping centers connected by underground tunnels. Most of the shops would have been above ground. However, like most shopping centers, there were no windows, so you had no concept of where you were.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 7th, 2016 at 4:41:44 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
I've been to Montreal lots of times. Maybe I somehow missed it, but I got the impression the "underground city" is mainly some shopping centers connected by underground tunnels. Most of the shops would have been above ground..

'Many tunnels are large enough to have shops on both sides of the passage'
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 7th, 2016 at 6:48:12 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
'Many tunnels are large enough to have shops on both sides of the passage'

As I recall, they are just little shops, like in an airport. It really was no big deal.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 7th, 2016 at 7:38:58 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
As I recall, they are just little shops, like in an airport. It really was no big deal.

I always felt that way about Crystal City. Sure it was nice to have a half a mile hallway to walk in if it was pouring rain, but it certainly wasn't exciting. The crystal city buildings are as close as 220 yards from the parking terminals of National Airport, but there was no enclosed walkway to the airport, just train tracks and high speed highways dividing the buildings and the airport. There is a lot of talk about a new kind of city where airports will be as inclusive as Grand Central Terminal was in Manhattan when it was built in 1871, or New York City Pennsylvania Station was in 1910. But although Crystal City should be as close to that ideal as possible, they still seemed dependent on cars as much as anyone (although driving distances were short).

January 7th, 2016 at 10:26:24 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
I'm half-Canadian, with relatives in Montreal. It was my impression that virtually everyone is bi-lingual. I've never been to the underground portion, though it makes a lot of sense with the winters up there. 20 MILES of tunnels? Wow.

As to nice, Canadians are amazing that way. They're very educated and opinionated, but they don't make it personal. Refreshing.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
Page 2 of 2<12