What do we have a militia clause for?

Page 3 of 3<123
December 16th, 2012 at 6:21:30 PM permalink
98Clubs
Threads: 2
I think the Culture of Death is financed and propagated by Movies, Television, and Video Games. violence breeds violence, peace breeds peace. We've been teaching violence, by allowing violence to prevail. Our culture here, is one that requires both parents to hold several jobs. In my 55 years of life I witness the decay of family by the parents not being around enogh, by using a television set as babysitter, by having strangers raise our kids in absentia. As of late the banking upon our future has been savaged by greed, automation and computerization replace human jobs, health care become a burdensome and unaffordable "luxury" that the non-working cannot possibly afford. One aspect here is the striving for profits at the expense of people: money has no soul, no heart. Another aspect here is the defense of what little some folks have, and how tenuous the family unit has become. It seems to be near-breaking, and in many, many instances it has already been broken. People themselve are breaking under the strain. And we've been "teaching" by its allowance, a violent solution. We do have the right to keep and bear arms for a proper militia, which does include self-defense. Access to those arms must be limited to the purchaser, who is of sound mind and body. Even that cannot possibly guarantee that the arms in question will be used as intended.
There are four things certain in life... Death, Taxes, the Resistance to them, and Stupidity.
December 16th, 2012 at 6:47:28 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
How many U.S. commerical airliners have been hijacked since 9/11? Answer. 0.

But if you want to blame someone, blame Bush. : ) (he was the dude in charge of starting all that)

We had the shoe bomber and the underwear bomber. Truth is on 9/10/2001 skyjackings were kind on a 70s/80s thing from the past. Fwiw I do wish bush had called for profiling.
The President is a fink.
December 16th, 2012 at 7:34:33 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Don't know how the peace response works out, but there's this. The Amish schoolhouse shooting.

Quote:
Inside the school, Ballenger said, "there was not one desk, not one chair, in the whole schoolroom that was not splattered with either blood or glass. There were bullet holes everywhere."

[edit] Amish community response

On the day of the shooting, a grandfather of one of the murdered Amish girls was heard warning some young relatives not to hate the killer, saying, "We must not think evil of this man."[15] Another Amish father noted, "He had a mother and a wife and a soul and now he's standing before a just God."[16] Jack Meyer, a member of the Brethren community living near the Amish in Lancaster County, explained: "I don't think there's anybody here that wants to do anything but forgive and not only reach out to those who have suffered a loss in that way but to reach out to the family of the man who committed these acts."[15]

A Roberts family spokesman said an Amish neighbor comforted the Roberts family hours after the shooting and extended forgiveness to them.[17] Amish community members visited and comforted Roberts' widow, parents, and parents-in-law. One Amish man held Roberts' sobbing father in his arms, reportedly for as long as an hour, to comfort him.[18] The Amish have also set up a charitable fund for the family of the shooter.[19] About 30 members of the Amish community attended Roberts' funeral,[18] and Marie Roberts, the widow of the killer, was one of the few outsiders invited to the funeral of one of the victims.[20]

Marie Roberts wrote an open letter to her Amish neighbors thanking them for their forgiveness, grace, and mercy. She wrote, "Your love for our family has helped to provide the healing we so desperately need. Gifts you've given have touched our hearts in a way no words can describe. Your compassion has reached beyond our family, beyond our community, and is changing our world, and for this we sincerely thank you."[20] The Amish do not normally accept charity, but due to the extreme nature of the tragedy, donations were accepted. Richie Lauer, director of the Anabaptist Foundation, said the Amish community, whose religious beliefs prohibit them from having health insurance, will likely use the donations to help pay the medical costs of the hospitalized children.[21]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish_school_shooting
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 17th, 2012 at 12:23:19 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: s2dbaker
If only each of the kindergarteners had a concealed carry permit, this tragedy would have all been avoided or minimized.

I must assume you mean 'kinder garden teachers', because if you didn't then either you were making a not very funny joke or you are completely crazy.

As always, given the scenario of an armed psycopath shooting everyone around you, it would be better if you had a weapon. In those cases you would be better off with a weapon even if you weren't trained. But I still don't follow the logical step that says the world would be safer if everyone were armed. There are too many minor scuffles that could go high order given firearms.
December 17th, 2012 at 12:42:40 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Pacomartin
There are too many minor scuffles that could go high order given firearms.

Quote:
Michael Dunn, a 45-year-old software developer, has pleaded not guilty to a second-degree murder charge in the fatal shooting of Davis. He told police he fired in self-defense after arguing with him and three other youths in a sport utility vehicle over their loud music.

His attorney, Robin Lemonidis, has not said Dunn will invoke the Stand Your Ground law in his defense. But she said in media interviews that he "acted responsibly" and fired out of fear for his life when someone in the SUV brandished a shotgun and threatened him. No shotgun, or other weapon, was found, authorities say.

The Stand Your Ground law says it is legal for people to defend themselves if they "reasonably believe" someone will hurt them.

"Stand your ground" is approximately the rule of engagement for a soldier in Afghanistan. They guy got into an argument with a bunch of kids, thought he saw a shotgun, feared for his life and fired multiple shots into their car killing one of the kids.

"thought he saw" Yikes. Hopefully everyone will be wearing their glasses and hearing aides in this state, and not be paranoid or a hothead.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 17th, 2012 at 1:47:22 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: rxwine
How many U.S. commerical airliners have been hijacked since 9/11? Answer. 0.

But if you want to blame someone, blame Bush. : ) (he was the dude in charge of starting all that)

I believe a lot of credit goes to heightened awareness by the passengers. After 9/11 everyone realizes that the passengers on United 93, the ones that fought back, saved lives. No one puts up with shenanigans on airliners anymore.
December 17th, 2012 at 3:13:48 PM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
Quote: Pacomartin
Quote: s2dbaker
If only each of the kindergarteners had a concealed carry permit, this tragedy would have all been avoided or minimized.

I must assume you mean 'kinder garden teachers', because if you didn't then either you were making a not very funny joke or you are completely crazy.

As always, given the scenario of an armed psycopath shooting everyone around you, it would be better if you had a weapon. In those cases you would be better off with a weapon even if you weren't trained. But I still don't follow the logical step that says the world would be safer if everyone were armed. There are too many minor scuffles that could go high order given firearms.

Based on the context of s2dbaker's past posts, I believe he was probably making a joke attempting to satirize the "gun nut" perspective on recent events (not to put words in anyone's mouth, of course).

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here, or much at all anywhere. At the previous shooting at an Oregon mall, a citizen with a concealed carry permit drew his weapon and trained it on the shooter. He did not fire, and it's unclear whether or not the shooter saw or acknowledged the other person with the gun.
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
Page 3 of 3<123