Coffee. What are your preferences?

Page 6 of 6« First<3456
January 25th, 2018 at 8:08:58 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
My favorite bean is sold at Peet's retail stores: Guatemala San Sebastian, but it's not cheap-- about $17 per lb. I sometimes cheat on the price by purchasing discounted used Peet's gift cards (the best website for this is giftcardgranny.com).

Can you think of any U.S. food as popular as coffee which has changed so dramatically in the past 30 years? In the 1980s, most Americans drank bland coffee: Folgers, Hills Bros, Yuban, Brim, Sanka, MJB, Taster's Choice. In the 1980s, most Americans didn't grind their own beans. And setting aside a major metropolis like NYC or LA, etc, how many restaurants in medium sized cities (Indianapolis, Omaha, Cincinnati, Orlando) offered lattes, cappuccinos, espresso, in the 1980s? I'm not a huge fan of Starbucks, but I have to admit that Starbucks has dramatically raised the bar on coffee quality and varieties.
January 25th, 2018 at 8:20:19 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
When not travelling
I never buy prepared coffee. I always make it at home which is very easy and am pretty happy with the quality
Costco Kirkland whole beans, 4.99 a LB. Bargain.
I don't use tap water, use bottled water I buy in 1/2 gallon containers. Tampa water is terrible.
Occasionally will buy from Starbucks but only a cold Frappe on a hot sunny day.
I tried making frappes at home, not nearly as good as Starbucks.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 25th, 2018 at 9:02:47 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: reno
And setting aside a major metropolis like NYC or LA, etc, how many restaurants in medium sized cities (Indianapolis, Omaha, Cincinnati, Orlando) offered lattes, cappuccinos, espresso, in the 1980s?

I imagine many high-end Italian restaurants did.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 25th, 2018 at 9:08:07 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: terapined
When not travelling
I never buy prepared coffee. I always make it at home which is very easy and am pretty happy with the quality
Costco Kirkland whole beans, 4.99 a LB. Bargain.

I steal ground coffee from the office. it's very cheap! :)

The one we buy is from a local coffee shop, at about $10-12 US per kilo. It's a mix of Chiapas and Oaxaca beans, which for some reason it's called French Mix <shrug>

Quote:
Occasionally will buy from Starbucks but only a cold Frappe on a hot sunny day.
I tried making frappes at home, not nearly as good as Starbucks.

Probably a different sweetener.

I get coffee at Sbucks, triple latte, Saturday and Sunday mornings before I do the weekly grocery shopping. The grocery store has carts with cup holders, which is very convenient.
January 25th, 2018 at 9:51:41 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Nareed

The grocery store has carts with cup holders, which is very convenient.

What a great idea.
I wish where I shopped they had cup holders on the carts
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 25th, 2018 at 12:44:05 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: terapined
What a great idea.
I wish where I shopped they had cup holders on the carts

Well, they kind of have to. In a remodel a few years back, they added an area that sells coffee, with tables and chairs, and pastries and overpriced sandwiches. You can be served in a ceramic mug, or take it to go in a paper cup. For the latter, it's useful if the carts have cup holders.
Page 6 of 6« First<3456