Anoying Things!

Page 1 of 61234>Last »
January 20th, 2016 at 2:04:38 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Yeah, I spelled annoying wrong on purpose.

But this thread on buzz feed is amusing.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/hannahjewell/things-that-will-irritate-you-more-than-they-should#.uiKopmgw0w
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 2nd, 2016 at 9:28:44 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Not that you asked, but lately I've found two big annoyances:

1) Misuse of the terms "your" and "you're," as well as "their" and "they're."

I know they sound exactly the same, but they're quite distinct in print. I can overlook them on hastily tapped text messages, but, really, when typing from a proper keyboard one should know better.

2) Misuse of the term "literally."

Not to mention that the vast increase in content available online, and in some outlets the pressure to publish quickly, means proofreading has fallen behind (I know!). Now, this is acceptable, up to a point, in blog posts and personal publications. But seeing it in news items, articles and editorials from professional publications is quite jarring.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 2nd, 2016 at 10:51:24 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I'd like to add to that list when stores put price stickers on the glass part of picture frames.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 2nd, 2016 at 11:27:36 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
The use of "actually" and "obviously" by announcers/reporters in news stories. Neither are ever required.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 2nd, 2016 at 12:52:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
A new annoyance is when they put in new
card swipers at the checkout, they all have
bunch of questions now. Your total is $18,
is this correct? Yes/No. Did you find everything
you needed? Yes/No. Do you want cash back
from your card? Pick the amount or select
No. Choose one: Debit or Credit? Arrguhhhh!
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 2nd, 2016 at 1:03:32 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Evenbob
A new annoyance is when they put in new
card swipers at the checkout, they all have
bunch of questions now. Your total is $18,
is this correct? Yes/No. Did you find everything
you needed? Yes/No. Do you want cash back
from your card? Pick the amount or select
No. Choose one: Debit or Credit? Arrguhhhh!

Yes, all that fancy stuff and they paid to get it, but ignored in the meantime how vulnerable the system was and your CC information gets stolen LOL
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 2nd, 2016 at 1:04:27 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I don't go to many in-theater movies, but it can be really hard to guess when to show up so you don't sit through 30 minutes of previews PSAs, and ads.

Like the show sometimes will start after just a few things, and other times, you get bombarded for quite awhile before the movie ever starts.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 2nd, 2016 at 1:22:15 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
I don't go to many in-theater movies, but it can be really hard to guess when to show up so you don't sit through 30 minutes of previews PSAs, and ads.

I don't disagree, but there is a simple explanation for this: the theater makes a great deal more from the ads than it does from the movie. Almost all the revenue from ticket sales goes to the studio (or the distributor). Nearly all the revenue from ad sales goes to the theater.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 2nd, 2016 at 6:52:02 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: rxwine

Like the show sometimes will start after just a few things, and other times, you get bombarded for quite awhile before the movie ever starts.

I assume about 25 minutes for previews, but I kind of like them anyway. However, if you see an odd-ball movie, it may start right away. I think that happened when I saw Meru. I might add my wife and I were the only ones in the theater and my wife only went under protest.
February 2nd, 2016 at 7:00:41 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Does it annoy you when somebody prefaces an opinion on something with "In my opinion." For example, I might say "In my opinion, Marco Rubio has a better chance at winning the GOP nomination than the polls suggest." This is obviously an opinion, so would I really need to add that preface?
Page 1 of 61234>Last »