Anoying Things!

Page 5 of 6« First<23456>
April 28th, 2016 at 3:22:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
You need to clear your cookies.

They clean automatically every 10 days.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 28th, 2016 at 4:40:27 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Wizard
You need to clear your cookies.

Yeah, toss them.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
May 9th, 2016 at 11:37:49 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
So when I got back from vacation, there were two projects going on at the office.

One involved 5 companies, and enough 5-inch 3-ring binders and paper to open up a stationary store. We worked it hard in order to get it done by Friday. This meant staying late Wednesday and Thursday so we could leave not-too-late on Friday.

Well, guess what?

The customer cancelled the project Friday evening at 8 pm.

We were about 15 minutes away from completion.

Now we have to do it over at some point in the near future....
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 4th, 2016 at 8:10:37 AM permalink
Nareed
This is ridiculous and very annoying.

Ten days before the payment due date, the bank started calling, sending text messages (by SMS no less) and emails reminding me to pay. I usually pay 2-3 days before the due date (I figure if they're so hard up for money, maybe if I withhold mine as long as possible so they'll go broke <w>).

Eventually I paid up.

So what happens next? They call again, at 9 pm on Friday while I'm having dinner and watching TV, to again remind me to pay. I answered, more or less "I've already paid that card, you effing morons! Stop bugging me!"

Next day, Saturday, at 6:30 am they call again to "thank" me for paying, and to ask whether I've any questions. I said "Yes, I have a question. I've already paid, why do you keep effing bugging me?" The bank person repeated her earlier statement. I said they hadn't answered my question. She repeated her script once more. So I asked to talk to her supervisor. Then I hung up.

Worse yet is they don't like coming to the point at once. The script is usually "May I speak to cardholder? Good morning/evening. How are you doing today?" When this happens I either hang up, or I say "Tell me why you've called and interrupted my dinner, or I'll hang up."

At work someone apparently owes a car financing service money. We don't know who, because they just call like ten times between 8 and 9 am and play a recording. I don't even answer that extension between those hours. Also at work, they keep calling form someone who 1) was transferred out of our department 3 years ago and 2) quit the company entirely about 8 months ago. Usually they keep demanding to speak to this person and making threats of bad credit ratings and repossession. then they give up and ask to be connected to human resources.

When I field that call, I tell them "this person doesn't work here any more, and I don't know his phone number or current location. I can transfer you to human resources or I can hang up." 9 times out of ten I hang up.

Oh, I know the banks and financing companies are not even the ones making the calls. They hire that to collection services. But it does hurt their image a great deal. I know several people who've dropped a bank because they annoyed them too often with phone calls. I'm considering dropping this aprticular bank for just that reason.
September 4th, 2016 at 1:13:03 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I don't think banks sell current accounts to collectors, only delinquent accounts get sold for so many cents on teh dollar and the collectors try to maximize their efforts.

I get emails and phone calls at times as reminders of appoints or bill due dates or 'please rate your appointment you just had'. It is annoying at times. In the comments section I once said the only bad thing was my cell phone ringing as I was driving home.
September 5th, 2016 at 8:56:41 AM permalink
Nareed
Yesterday I came close to setting my apartment on fire.

Long story short, my mom used my oven Saturday to make something. Unbeknownst to me, she left a little (i.e. huge) pool of cooking oil in the oven for some reason. Part in the baking tray I use to catch spills, but part in the bottom of the oven.

I set the oven to pre-warm to 200 C. and set about making a sauce. A few minutes later I noticed white smoke coming from the oven's vent. I shut it off, carefully opened the door, and was treated to the sight of smoking cooking oil. The oven was at about 115-130 C by then (I forget exactly).

I let the oven cool, removed the baking tray, and tried to clean the oven. Alas, the oil had partly turned to sticky gunk by now. I have the very caustic chemicals used for oven cleaning, but couldn't find thick latex gloves (the maid usually cleans the oven). So I figured I'd leave the mess for the poor maid to clean Monday.

Meantime I had two trays full of small pieces of chicken breast covered in flour egg, milk, and semi-powdered bran flakes cereal and spices. I figured I could fry them (not an option), toss them (not an option), freeze them (sure to ruin them), or try the microwave. Amazingly they came out not entirely ruined. The microwave cooked through them in under 4 minutes, though I ad to do them in about five batches, and the outside wasn't crispy at all, more like mushy <sigh>. But it wasn't a total loss, and properly drowned in sauce, instead of merely covered in it, they're not so bad.

And the kitchen didn't burn down.
September 5th, 2016 at 10:00:55 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Years ago, I had an apartment set on fire by a lightning bolt at 2am.

Pretty sure the noise brought me awake. Got up and was passing the second bedroom, and there was a very weird light coming from underneath the door. Very odd, like one seen of aliens arriving in a Spielberg movie. I opened the door to a pillar of fire from floor to ceiling. Turned out my dustbuster charger had taken a direct hit. The dustbuster wasn't in it, so perhaps that made the charger vulnerable.

Anyway, I shut the door, and woke my girlfriend up. She's like, "What, we're on fire? Where?" but still half asleep. I tried to jam a large bucket under the faucet of a small bathroom sink. Took me another minute to figure out, I needed to get water from the bathtub faucet.

Anyway, one room got burned up.

The apartment complex moved us into their furnished model apartment until they repaired the place. I think they tried to sue Black & Decker, but I don't know how that turned out.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 5th, 2016 at 11:57:16 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Nareed
(the maid usually cleans the oven).

Wait, you have a maid? You can afford a maid?
What are you, a rich executive?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 5th, 2016 at 12:53:33 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I NEVER turn an oven on without opening it and looking inside, even if it has a glass door. I open it each and every single solitary time. No food, no spills, no cats,,, nothing.

Its like taking meds in the dark. Never. Even if you only have but one Rx container, you turn on the light and you read it each and every time.
September 5th, 2016 at 1:03:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Fleastiff
Its like taking meds in the dark. Never. Even if you only have but one Rx container, you turn on the light and you read it each and every time.

I finally got one of those 7 day pill
holders. Put all my meds for a day
in each compartment, that way I
only have to screw with the bottles
once a week. My grandma had one
50 years ago, why I waited so long
is a mystery.
Page 5 of 6« First<23456>