Planet 9 from outer space

January 21st, 2016 at 3:05:57 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
obviously, the astronomers are having fun calling it this

but there seems to be a new planet in our solar system

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/01/feature-astronomers-say-neptune-sized-planet-lurks-unseen-solar-system
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 21st, 2016 at 3:11:47 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I am hoping if it exists they actually name it "Planet 9".

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 21st, 2016 at 3:41:06 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I actually don't know what it should be named going by convention. I expect a Greco-Roman name.

I'd suggest Minerva. Unless it's a rocky world, in which case it should be Demeter or Gaia.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 22nd, 2016 at 3:39:41 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
No dwarf planet baloney this time. The thing is plenty big, I think only Jupiter is bigger? at least Neptune and Jupiter are bigger... but still. And way way out there.

from http://www.space.com/31677-astronomers-could-see-planet-nine.html

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 22nd, 2016 at 5:06:40 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Saturn and Uranus would be bigger too.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
January 22nd, 2016 at 6:50:29 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
If we can tell Planet 9 exists by the orbits of objects in the Kuiper belt, then why can we see things items in the Kuiper belt but not Planet 9?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 22nd, 2016 at 7:23:49 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
If we can tell Planet 9 exists by the orbits of objects in the Kuiper belt, then why can we see things items in the Kuiper belt but not Planet 9?

The six objects studied are fairly close to their perigee, but the Planet #9 is near it's apogee. As the oribital period is longer than human civilization, it will take some time before reaching it's perigee.

January 22nd, 2016 at 7:32:02 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
The six objects studied are fairly close to their perigee, but the Planet #9 is near it's apogee. As the oribital period is longer than human civilization, it will take some time before reaching it's perigee.

Good modeling makes a great deal of difference.

LeVerrier calculated Neptune's orbit so well, from the theoretical model of the orbit of Uranus, that it took mere days for someone to look at the search area and get a sighting of the new planet.

But an incomplete understanding of gravity can mess with your head. Flush with the success of Neptune's discovery, astronomers then turned to the problem of Mercury's mismatch with theory. The planet they thought was causing the anomalies was as precisely located, and never found. It didn't exist. It took Einstein to explain what was going on.

This means finding Minerva will be exciting. But it may be even more exciting to find there's no Planet IX.

To update Asimov's quip: The most exciting utterance in science is not "Eureka!" but rather "What the fuck??"
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER