Limits

January 25th, 2016 at 9:25:13 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I've been listening recently to a podcast called "Eric's Guide to Ancient Egypt." It's not a history podcast per se. Rather Eric (I forget his full name) covers topics in depth. He's talked about Nefertiti, for example, in connection to the new discoveries in Tutankhamen's tomb. He's also talked about the age of the Sphinx, the reasons for building pyramids, etc.

Twice he had free-flow talk with Kara Cooney, another Egyptologist. It's like they're talking shop, without quite a set topic, and I wonder if they even keep it all understandable to the layman. These episodes were fascinating. In particular the last one where Cooney talks about Akhenaton. Eric did a multi-part discussion of Akhenaton himself, considering diverse interpretations of the heretic king, and considering various aspects as well.

Both these discussion paint a rather different picture of the Amarna period as compared to that in Brier's lecture series and even Mertz's books (including an Elizabeth Peters story set in Amarna). What's striking is they point out some obvious things I've totally overlooked thus far.

IT's nice going beyond the limits.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 25th, 2016 at 9:34:44 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Nareed
IT's nice going beyond the limits.
Often ancient peoples who took up maritime trading in small boats found that winds, storms and rocky coasts had no such limits as the people had been told. I know very little of the arbitrary divisions of Egyptian society and wonder since it was really Greeks ruling Egypt why practices were so different between the two peoples? White man's burden? Greek man's burden?