AZ Duffman, The Steelers, and Mr. Vick

Page 2 of 3<123>
February 4th, 2016 at 11:53:31 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: terapined
There is a solution
Flag football

I've never seen a game of flag football, so I won't tell you it's not the same. But I do imagine there are plenty of differences.

Now, could receivers still be hit to keep them from grabbing the ball? how about pushing people off bounds?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 4th, 2016 at 11:57:42 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
There is a solution

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 4th, 2016 at 2:23:29 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
100 years from now People will view football and their fans as we view the horrible fight competition in Django
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 4th, 2016 at 2:35:56 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
There is a solution
Flag football
Its played everyday on college campuses all over the country , its exciting, athletic and does not cause CTE

Flag football is for playing, not so much for watching. We could make the NFL less dangerous physically.

We could limit the size and weight of players. Say 275lbs max. Above that and we say, "sorry, son, you are too big and will cause people to get hurt." Weight could adjust for size, say line vs skill positions. But a limit.

The NFL could stop glorifying massive hits and ban the use of their film in "Greatest Hits" DVDs.

Basic tackling could return, wrap a guy up and bring him down, less of this just slamming into people.

Padding could be reduced and leather helmets brought back, making a guy realize if he uses his head as a weapon it will be he that pays the price.

None of it will happen. What will happen is two things. One, youth to college programs will shut down. Parents will keep kids out and PC pressure will combine to kill them. Meanwhile, the NFL will look more and more like this year's Pro Bowl. This will take maybe 20 years. Slow at first, then will feel like an avalanche. Maybe I lost interest just in time??
The President is a fink.
February 4th, 2016 at 2:43:58 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman

Padding could be reduced and leather helmets brought back, making a guy realize if he uses his head as a weapon it will be he that pays the price.

You might like this finding. I remember reading a study that had a finding that if you take away traffic signs and lights at intersections people drive more slowly and likely safer through intersections. They are forced to depend on their eyes, ears, timing and so forth to proceed safely to avoid collisions.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 4th, 2016 at 4:36:57 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: rxwine
You might like this finding. I remember reading a study that had a finding that if you take away traffic signs and lights at intersections people drive more slowly and likely safer through intersections. They are forced to depend on their eyes, ears, timing and so forth to proceed safely to avoid collisions.

Did that study also report on what effect non-signaled intersections had on traffic congestion?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
February 4th, 2016 at 5:14:54 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: AZDuffman

Something or many things have just destroyed my interest.

The game changed. I can understand necessary changes for safety's sake, or addressing the severe increase in athleticism over the past 30 years. But when one finger literally grazes a helmet and receives the biggest penalty in the game? GTFO of here with that mess.

I'm defense oriented. Hockey, baseball, football, life, I'm a defender through and through. They completely neutered that aspect. It's a lot like playing your retarded friend in Madden that only goes for the huge plays. It gets really boring really fast. I've caught a few plays at the bar or during an Applebee's visit; I hardly recognize the game. It's like watching Euro league hockey. Same, but different.

Watching players inflict brain damage on each other is not great entertainment to me

All very well said. I've had a few TBI's and suffer from PCS. It's no picnic. I can't watch boxing for this reason. MMA and all its injuries I can stomach. But seeing some punch drunk fool pushed back into action... it turns my stomach. I know what he feels and what he will feel in the future. It's damnation.

Of course, these are free men. I certainly wouldn't push for bans, but like AZD, I see parents making that push themselves. I know I certainly do not want my kid anywhere near the foosball. I wouldn't stop him, but I'd push hockey, karting, myriad options first. It's no joke.

I've had now 32 concussions since I started keeping track. Most were mild, sure, but they are cumulative. 3 moderate to serious, one severe. And that stuff just doesn't heal. I can experience PCS just by drying myself like a dog (shaking back and forth). I got hit in Turkey Bowl, shoulder to shoulder. Didn't touch my head, but f#$%ed me up for 4/5 days. While I have (IMO) a very good ability to recall, as attested by my trip reports, I occasionally become dumb as a bag of stones. I know something happened, but I can't recall what, not even a detail of it. Sometimes I hear voices with no source, or see things that aren't there. I'm too old to be developing schizophrenia, so I blame the TBI. And the migraines, oh the migraines.

I'm not sure I've heard of one report where they found nothing. Seau kills himself, CTE. Benoit offs his whole family and then himself, CTE. Another was just revealed, some QB from y'alls era. Staubach? Riddled with CTE.

I certainly plan to send my dome to Boston. They as of yet have not done anyone but pro athletes. I'd like to be a part of revealing what general youthful mayhem can also create.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 4th, 2016 at 5:28:05 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face

I'm defense oriented. Hockey, baseball, football, life, I'm a defender through and through. They completely neutered that aspect. It's a lot like playing your retarded friend in Madden that only goes for the huge plays. It gets really boring really fast. I've caught a few plays at the bar or during an Applebee's visit; I hardly recognize the game. It's like watching Euro league hockey. Same, but different.

I'll second it on defense. Super Bowl in 1997, game started score-score-score. Next day discussion I remarked how boring I found it. My second in command thought I was nuts. People still think I am nuts for preferring the chess match to the shootout. They do not understand the difference between incompetent offenses and good defenses.

My experience is that demographically it is mainly a subset of white males born before the mid-1980s who will prefer a good defensive match. While there will always be the exception, everyone else likes the shootout. The NFL is marketing to this clearly.

It is why I prefer hockey to basketball. Baseball to basketball. Curling to basketball. Yeah, I kind of like curling, usually ladies curling. Anyone else prefer defense?
The President is a fink.
February 4th, 2016 at 6:04:10 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Face
I certainly plan to send my dome to Boston. They as of yet have not done anyone but pro athletes. I'd like to be a part of revealing what general youthful mayhem can also create.

You play organized Hockey
They are definitely interested in you
Not just your brain later, but interested in you now :-)

Below from the Boston U CTE site
http://www.bu.edu/cte/our-research/clinical-studies-legend/
LEGEND Study
LEGEND (Longitudinal Examination to Gather Evidence of Neurodegenerative Disease)
The study focuses on examining the effects of repetitive head impacts (like one may receive playing some organized sports) in living people. Participants complete online questionnaires and talk with a member of our study staff once a year over the phone so we may gather information on concussions, athletic history, medical history, and cognitive functioning. Participants can also choose to provide a saliva sample for genetic analysis. The goal is to track our participants’ progress over time, so we can see who develops problems down the road and who does not.
CURRENTLY ENROLLING: Learn how to participation contact John Hayden at: johayden@bu.edu

Here is the link to the Brain donation registry
http://www.bu.edu/cte/our-research/brain-donation-registry/
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 4th, 2016 at 6:05:10 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Dalex64
Did that study also report on what effect non-signaled intersections had on traffic congestion?

I don't recall, but I suspect like most things there is usually a trade-off somewhere.
Page 2 of 3<123>