Newtown, Conn

Page 12 of 14« First<91011121314>
December 20th, 2012 at 12:42:46 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
If you could access premade bombs made by professional bombmakers, (no different than having gun manufacturers), we would have more bombings.

The only thing that prevents it, is, we don't. We don't allow unrestricted use.

Banning works. Real banning, Not fake banning where I can cross a state border, or maybe even purchase on the internet with little scruitiny.

There's a guy from the Virginia Tech shooting showing how there are NO REAL GUN BANS.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/virginia-tech-survivor-colin-goddard-fights-back-guns/story?id=18022765

Bombs are not the same as guns at all. There is no defensive use of a bomb. Seriously you need to quit blaming the guns for the problem
The President is a fink.
December 20th, 2012 at 12:52:17 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
I'm talking about banning effectiveness, not whether a car or gun or bomb are the same.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 20th, 2012 at 12:54:04 PM permalink
rxwine
Guns don't kill people; people with guns kill people,
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 20th, 2012 at 12:57:18 PM permalink
rxwine
as I never see a gun jump up and run into a 7-11 and rob someone without a person attached.

People with guns kill people.
December 20th, 2012 at 1:00:45 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: FarFromVegas
You have had "training"...

Lol sorry. I guess I could've been more clear. The quotations were to denote sarcasm. Remember, this was a "government mandated" and government run training. As such, that particular "training" was laughable. I'm not sure what course comes before "Gun 101", but for anyone with even a rudimentary understanding of firearm operation, it was a joke. Any single person in this thread no matter their level of experience would have gained nothing from that particular course.

You are a security professional.

But I'm not. Professionally, I'm just a surveillance officer. I watch TV all day, and the programs never change ;) Personally, I'm just regular, lower middle class country kid. A good deal of what looks like "a trained professional" came from my realization of a few truths.

Namely, the police can't save you if something were to happen. One time, when a tree fell across the road blocking a blind corner on a hill, I attempted to contact them to take care of it. Between dispatch not knowing what County to send (even though I live, and the tree was down, entirely within Erie) and the three back and forths to Erie, Cattaraugus, then the State boys, and one drive to my local PD where not a soul was in the building, I finally tracked a Local boy down by driving around and flagging him to pull over. Took 40 minutes. When a drunk came to the house, vandalized my yard, and threatened my Pops, he had done all his damage and was gone by the time the police arrived. If he had a gun, Pops and my ex-wife would be dead (unless Pops shot him first, since he carries)

Cops are there to enforce the law. They are not a safety shield. My knowledge of SD, gun use, safety, and security was all mostly self taught. I realized that no matter the situation, my and my family's safety is guaranteed by no one but me. What I know and the habits I have are the result of years of reading, studying, and talking to all levels of Law Enforcement, because that knowledge is important to me. Keeping my family safe is important to me.

I'm not an obtuse man. Every single time something like this happens, I always reevaluate my values and ask myself certain questions. If there was some sort of regulation or restriction suggested that would somehow increase the safety of my son when I'm not around, of course I would consider it, even if that meant I would never own my dream gun. He's my number one priority. But the things I know as the result of my knowledge don't jive with what's been being thrown around. Those in the know, the police, the guys who have to deal with this all the time, have to be the target of these things, who train non stop in this very subject, from the Georgian bred "born-with-a-gun-in-your-hand" type to the restrictive NY boys, not a single one of them supports any sort of increased control whatsoever. Are we all just being stubborn, or has our knowledge and training shown it's not the way to go?

I don't know, but I think it's important to talk about. I'm glad we've been able to do this thus far without a breakdown into garbage. I haven't been able to fall asleep before 5a all week. Without this outlet, I'd be greeting the sun.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
December 20th, 2012 at 1:14:39 PM permalink
FarFromVegas
Threads: 3
Quote: Face

Those in the know, the police, the guys who have to deal with this all the time, have to be the target of these things, who train non stop in this very subject, from the Georgian bred "born-with-a-gun-in-your-hand" type to the restrictive NY boys, not a single one of them supports any sort of increased control whatsoever. Are we all just being stubborn, or has our knowledge and training shown it's not the way to go?

I do know "a single one of them"--my b-i-l is on the force in NC. It's scary approaching a car you've stopped and wondering what hell will greet you.

The FOP backed the last assault weapons ban, as did Ronald Reagan, himself a gunshot victim.
This space for rent
December 20th, 2012 at 1:17:46 PM permalink
FarFromVegas
Threads: 3
A happy and safe holiday season to all (have to get that in before the world ends tomorrow!)

Okay, just kidding about the world ending. But I'm gone until next year, so Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and whatever you say for Festivus (couldn't stomach Seinfeld so don't know the proper greeting for that.)
This space for rent
December 20th, 2012 at 1:20:52 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I'm willing to bet all your guns are registered

Posters keep mentioning gun registration. Face has to register his handguns I guess? Probably means any new handguns? I am guessing NY does not have citizens register other guns.

But gun registration is highly resisted in most parts of the US. I am moderate on gun control but very much against gun registration.

It's been hard to find authoritative facts on this, but consider the below:

Quote: link
At the moment, a minority of states including New York, Maryland, California, New Jersey, and Massachusetts require mandatory registration for handguns. [Some states] ... require sales of handguns to go through a dealer, who keeps records of the transaction.

Under federal law, there's no formal registration for any non-automatic firearm, and unrecorded transfers between private citizens are permitted. ... the Nazis "disarmed Berlin's Jews using the Weimar firearm registration records.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504383_162-5258192-504383.html

Oh, that last part of the quote I had to include; it is very pertinent. It is odd they included that one thing, in that registration leading to confiscation has a much uglier track record than that one incident!
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 20th, 2012 at 4:20:01 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
It sounds extreme, but training, screening, then allowing teachers and administrators to carry concealed weapons as part of a comprehensive security plan like this school in Texas makes sense to me. If the principal and staff in Newtown had such training and weapons available to them, perhaps they could have done something more effective than a fearless, but vain, attempt to disarm the shooter barehanded.
December 20th, 2012 at 4:59:25 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Note that the Chinese communist government has come out for Americans to be disarmed because of this. I'm not saying I'm just saying.
The President is a fink.
Page 12 of 14« First<91011121314>