Newtown, Conn

Page 4 of 14<1234567>Last »
December 18th, 2012 at 9:34:26 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: FarFromVegas
Yeah--we all should be stay-at-home moms who homeschool our kids so they don't turn out to be mass murderers! Oh, wait...

Thanks for giving a perfect example if what I am talking about. People give up more material things to raise their kids in a better way and you make fun of them.
The President is a fink.
December 18th, 2012 at 9:41:26 AM permalink
MidwestAP
Threads: 1
Quote: AZDuffman
Thanks for giving a perfect example if what I am talking about. People give up more material things to raise their kids in a better way and you make fun of them.

I wouldn't agree that home schooling is raising kids in a better way.
December 18th, 2012 at 9:50:16 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: MidwestAP
I wouldn't agree that home schooling is raising kids in a better way.

Any reason why not? Surely seems like it is using more parenting time than both patents working and sending the kids to a school that may or may not be teaching well. If you want to teach any moral values then the school is a waste of time.
The President is a fink.
December 18th, 2012 at 9:55:19 AM permalink
FarFromVegas
Threads: 3

I'm a stay-at-home mom! I put a homecooked meal on the table every night if we don't take the kids out for pizza on Friday. My daughter and I baked snickerdoodles and chocolate chip cookies together after her religion class last night. I'm as June Cleaver as you can get but that won't save my kids from being slaughtered in their classrooms. I'm making fun of the idea that your way works for everyone. It didn't for Adam Lanza, because he had access to an assault weapon that had been legally obtained. "Values" don't put a magic shield around you and protect you from actual, real, physical harm.

My daughter is the same age as those poor kids. At least for 3 more days, until she hits the ripe old age of 8. The local hospital trauma committee used to go to the high schools and lecture on the medical effect of gunshots--until a few years ago when they were told it was too controversial! You can show school kids what happens when you wreck a car but not fire a gun. Their First Amendment rights weren't as important as Second Amendment rights, I guess.

What WILL protect kids from guns is getting guns away from them. Somehow, someway, but it has to be done.
This space for rent
December 18th, 2012 at 10:00:59 AM permalink
FarFromVegas
Any reason why not? Surely seems like it is using more parenting time than both patents working and sending the kids to a school that may or may not be teaching well. If you want to teach any moral values then the school is a waste of time.

Reason? My kids are learning stuff I have no clue about! They play instruments I can't and learn languages I don't know and math I forgot decades ago. Technology that has changed in the 30 years since I was in school. At home they get the manners and things they're supposed to learn at home but the schools are for learning academic subjects.
This space for rent
December 18th, 2012 at 10:08:37 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: FarFromVegas
Reason? My kids are learning stuff I have no clue about! They play instruments I can't and learn languages I don't know and math I forgot decades ago. Technology that has changed in the 30 years since I was in school. At home they get the manners and things they're supposed to learn at home but the schools are for learning academic subjects.

Given how our kids are testing in most schools I would say the schools are doing an average job at best. The reason the education estaishment is against homeschooling is just plain greed on their part. Again I ask why wold you make fun of people who are able to and do give their kids this benefit? I will repeat this is another exams of putting down those that try to do better helping themselves and their families instead of waiting for the government to "do something."
The President is a fink.
December 18th, 2012 at 10:17:53 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

You can keep your guns. But I don't see the word "bullet" in the Constitution. I don't see the word "ammunition."

So let's tax bullets.
December 18th, 2012 at 10:25:42 AM permalink
FarFromVegas
Given how our kids are testing in most schools I would say the schools are doing an average job at best. The reason the education estaishment is against homeschooling is just plain greed on their part. Again I ask why wold you make fun of people who are able to and do give their kids this benefit? I will repeat this is another exams of putting down those that try to do better helping themselves and their families instead of waiting for the government to "do something."

Yeah, well my not homeschooled son just got 100 on his latest exam in college. The college that was the scene of the worst school shooting in US history, coincidentally. He lives one floor up from the first shooting. When I was there, I lived one floor down.

All schools aren't failing. All working moms aren't terrible parents. All Obama voters aren't looking for handouts (I just found out I'm in the 1%--lucky me!).

But you're turning the discussion away from the guns. I'm waiting for the government to "do something" about those, that's for sure.
This space for rent
December 18th, 2012 at 10:33:00 AM permalink
MidwestAP
Threads: 1

I have several reasons why I feel that sending my kids to a public school is better (and let me preface this by saying that I live in a very good school district).

1) I wouldn't be able to teach at the same acedemic level they at school, I'm just not qualified to do so.
2) In order for my kids to have certain luxuries (like a roof over their head, and food on the table), I have to work.
3) There are social skills that are learned in school that I can't duplicate at home.
December 18th, 2012 at 10:41:59 AM permalink
98Clubs
Threads: 2
One of the problems is that it has been a 2 or 3 income household for about 30 years.
I have noticed that most teach at home occurances have to be qualified (at least at state level). There's probably exceptions...
Social skills, yup, school is better.

We need that annual check-up from the neck-up. This Culture of Death Syndrome needs an ID, and a pathology.
There are four things certain in life... Death, Taxes, the Resistance to them, and Stupidity.
Page 4 of 14<1234567>Last »