Newtown, Conn

December 18th, 2012 at 10:42:13 AM permalink
midwestgb
Threads: 2
Quote: FarFromVegas
Yeah--we all should be stay-at-home moms who homeschool our kids so they don't turn out to be mass murderers! Oh, wait...

Ms. Lanza was into protecting her son. It did not work out. She built a structure around him that so hemmed him in that he decided the only way out of that structure was to shoot his way out of it. So, he took out the gatekeeper first (Mom herself) then went back to the place where the gatekeeping got started - his elementary school - and took down the rest of the structure there.

While I am as liberal as it comes, the Lanza's had some disturbing mental health issues that permeated their existence. This country has lost its way when the subject is mental health. Much to be done, and so little time and money...
December 18th, 2012 at 10:45:53 AM permalink
FarFromVegas
Threads: 3
Quote: midwestgb

While I am as liberal as it comes, the Lanza's had some disturbing mental health issues that permeated their existence. This country has lost its way when the subject is mental health. Much to be done, and so little time and money...

Oh, yes! But it's so much easier and cheaper to give someone a pill, but that's not working either (and my s-i-l does drug studies, so I can't say that around her!) That's another discussion that keeps being put on the back burner.
This space for rent
December 18th, 2012 at 10:47:24 AM permalink
98Clubs
Threads: 2
Quote: midwestgb
While I am as liberal as it comes, the Lanza's had some disturbing mental health issues that permeated their existence.

Many appologies needed here, I was posting under the original as last response, I guess the topic was so busy, it did not line up.

I would be very careful with your last paragraph, you might be called upon for factual evidence.
There are four things certain in life... Death, Taxes, the Resistance to them, and Stupidity.
December 18th, 2012 at 10:51:59 AM permalink
FarFromVegas
Quote: 98Clubs
I would be very careful with your last paragraph, you might be called upon for factual evidence.

Without quotes, we don't know who you're talking to.
This space for rent
December 18th, 2012 at 11:27:02 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Yeah, well my not homeschooled son just got 100 on his latest exam in college. The college that was the scene of the worst school shooting in US history, coincidentally. He lives one floor up from the first shooting. When I was there, I lived one floor down.

All schools aren't failing. All working moms aren't terrible parents. All Obama voters aren't looking for handouts (I just found out I'm in the 1%--lucky me!).

But you're turning the discussion away from the guns. I'm waiting for the government to "do something" about those, that's for sure.

I thought the government already made schools "gun free zones?" So didn't the government do something already? Murder is also illegal, more the government has done.

Congrats on making tho top 1%. Be sure to smile when you give back the tax break you didn't ask for next month.....
The President is a fink.
December 18th, 2012 at 11:30:31 AM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
Quote: MidwestAP
No disagreement that we need to minimize the amount of collateral damage. If 2% accuracy rate is correct, then we have to find a way to get better, so more terrorists are killed and less civilians and children. But, I don't have any disallusion that there will be some innocent individuals killed in a war zone under the circumstances I previously mentioned.

As far as our servicemen, regardless if they are on the ground in a fire fight, or at a control panel directing the drones, they are still part of the defense chain, protecting us and our freedoms, therefore I do think it's offensive to compare them to the shooter in Newtown.

Let me apologize for implicitly comparing our servicemen to this guy - I did not do it explicitly or intentionally but I do realize the comparison was there, and I have great respect for anyone who puts their life on the line to defend our freedom. I take issue with how our current government is pursuing terrorists under the auspices of national defense, and I believe the current drones strikes are unnecessary and unethical.

Good lord. You're comparing an elementary school to a war zone??? That's the sad part! So let's outlaw drones at the same time we outlaw assault weapons, if that makes you happy.

Perspective:

The current gun laws worked as they were designed to do. The kid tried to buy a gun at Dick's, and was rightfully turned away.

The school security worked as it was designed to do. The door was locked so no one could walk in unnoticed and take a child.

The gun worked as it was designed to do. It fired off round after round quickly and efficiently, blasting a hole through the front door and killing 27 of the 29 people it hit.

What didn't work was the notion of the gun keeping its owner safe. Maybe that's the part that needs to be rethought.

Yes, it is fucking sad. I agree with everything in your post, except perhaps the phrase "war zone" as the US has not officially declared war since 1941. The current actions in the middle east are being undertaken under the 2001 "Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Terrorists." It may sound like I'm nitpicking but it is a serious distinction in my mind.

I bolded the last part because I agree with it wholeheartedly. In my opinion, the biggest failing was the mother allowing her son, who clearly had mental issues, unlimited access to her guns.
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
December 18th, 2012 at 11:57:31 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: reno
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

You can keep your guns. But I don't see the word "bullet" in the Constitution. I don't see the word "ammunition."

So let's tax bullets.

Bullets are part of arms. Nice Rey at an end run

This shows why Obamas reelection is so dangerous. His scotus appointments might believe as you do and. An tax bullets to prohibition. His ag would if he could.
The President is a fink.
December 18th, 2012 at 12:00:59 PM permalink
FarFromVegas
Quote: AZDuffman
Bullets are part of arms. Nice Rey at an end run

This shows why Obamas reelection is so dangerous. His scotus appointments might believe as you do and. An tax bullets to prohibition. His ag would if he could.

You and I have such opposite ideas of what constitutes dangerous. Can you at least admit guns and bullets are dangerous, too?
This space for rent
December 18th, 2012 at 12:21:06 PM permalink
MidwestAP
Threads: 1
Quote: AcesAndEights
Let me apologize for implicitly comparing our servicemen to this guy - I did not do it explicitly or intentionally but I do realize the comparison was there, and I have great respect for anyone who puts their life on the line to defend our freedom. I take issue with how our current government is pursuing terrorists under the auspices of national defense, and I believe the current drones strikes are unnecessary and unethical.

Fair enough, I applaud you for acknowleging the unintended comparison. Blaming policy is one thing, blaming the individuals who protect us is another. I never get too worked up with different opinions about national policy, after all, being able to express different opinions is one of the freedoms we all enjoy.

I think the death of innocent children anywhere is tragic, yet unfortunately there are circumstances in this world that put kids in danger. I think terrorists who recruit kids and hide among the kids are much more culpable than our govenment's efforts to fight terror. I guess we can disagree on this point.
December 18th, 2012 at 12:55:24 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
People (who not right in their minds) have been perfectly happy (so to speak) to go on rampages with knives, axes, swords and even other stuff when they are easiest to obtain and guns are not. It you google around the news you find such attacks

So, pretending that gun culture doesn't matter in our society is simply ignoring reality.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?