Newtown, Conn

December 19th, 2012 at 1:03:25 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Speaking of the Constitution, I figure the Constitution is either living for all purposes or not. Why not be happy with the guns of our founding fathers? Yes, you can have a 6 hundred lb cannon even, I really don't care about that. (You'll get prosecuted if you blow in your neighbor's walls.)

If the Constitution is living we can regulate you to less efficient weopontry that way too.

Because the founders just said "arms." Not "muskets." By your logic we woe not be allowed free speech except in writing or in the town square.
The President is a fink.
December 19th, 2012 at 1:10:43 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
Because the founders just said "arms." Not "muskets." By your logic we woe not be allowed free speech except in writing or in the town square.

So why not an rpg then?

Obviously, we can choose to whittle down what you possess without a single word change.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 19th, 2012 at 1:38:09 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
So why not an rpg then?

Obviously, we can choose to whittle down what you possess without a single word change.

Even with a conceal carry permit a rpg is going to ruin the line of my suit.
The President is a fink.
December 19th, 2012 at 3:54:32 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: FarFromVegas
This would be hilarious if it weren't just...sad.

It is called "demonstrating absurdity by being absurd."

Every time there is a gun-crime we get the same absurd statements from the same groups of people:

1. They act as if the gun itself was responsible
2. They state that if only we didn't have guns we would all just get along and violence would decrease
3. They blame the NRA more than the actor in the crime

Yes, this is absurd thinking. We have had guns since the 1600s yet lately is when we get these crimes. What has changed is not the guns but our society. Our society has been falling apart since the 1960s and perhaps now we are seeing the end result of the "if-it-fells-good-do-it-hold-nobody-accountable" generation. We have politicians campaigning on the right to kill your unborn child up until the minute of birth. We show assisted suicide live on 60 Minutes. We have people demanding a "right" to free health care and all other kinds of "free" goodies based on the fact someone else has more money than they do. We can have kids get in more trouble in school for talking about God than dropping an F-Bomb to their teacher. We have all manor of celebrities commit all manner of crimes then be brought right back to their gigs as if nothing happened, but hopes of better ratings! We bash women who choose to stay home with the kids as "not fulfilling themselves" and suggest they are better in daycare. We have a drug problem of the first order. We have an illegitimate childbirth problem of the first order. We have all of this and more.

Yet instead of face our problems, the same people blame the guns, blame the NRA, and keep their heads in the sand.
The President is a fink.
December 20th, 2012 at 4:25:25 AM permalink
FarFromVegas
Threads: 3

Every time there is a gun-crime we get the same absurd statements from the same groups of people:

2. They state that if only we didn't have guns we would all just get along and violence would decrease

Yes, this is absurd thinking. We have had guns since the 1600s yet lately is when we get these crimes. What has changed is not the guns but our society. Our society has been falling apart since the 1960s and perhaps now we are seeing the end result of the "if-it-fells-good-do-it-hold-nobody-accountable" generation. We have politicians campaigning on the right to kill your unborn child up until the minute of birth. We show assisted suicide live on 60 Minutes. We have people demanding a "right" to free health care and all other kinds of "free" goodies based on the fact someone else has more money than they do. We can have kids get in more trouble in school for talking about God than dropping an F-Bomb to their teacher. We have all manor of celebrities commit all manner of crimes then be brought right back to their gigs as if nothing happened, but hopes of better ratings! We bash women who choose to stay home with the kids as "not fulfilling themselves" and suggest they are better in daycare. We have a drug problem of the first order. We have an illegitimate childbirth problem of the first order. We have all of this and more.

Yet instead of face our problems, the same people blame the guns, blame the NRA, and keep their heads in the sand.

Yes the guns have changed! And the Navy has fewer ships and horses and bayonets, BTW.

Things. Change. And not always for the better. Believe me, we'll be holding people accountable for letting these types of weapons proliferate so irresponsibly. I've heard a lot of anger lately, but last night I heard a word I hadn't and it summed up how most people I actually know feel. The basketball coach from Winthrop who said he was disappointed. People have let us down because they were trying to save their political careers and not their constituents.

4 million NRA members ain't nothing compared to how many moms and dads are out there.
This space for rent
December 20th, 2012 at 5:28:28 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: FarFromVegas
Yes the guns have changed! And the Navy has fewer ships and horses and bayonets, BTW.

Things. Change. And not always for the better. Believe me, we'll be holding people accountable for letting these types of weapons proliferate so irresponsibly. I've heard a lot of anger lately, but last night I heard a word I hadn't and it summed up how most people I actually know feel. The basketball coach from Winthrop who said he was disappointed. People have let us down because they were trying to save their political careers and not their constituents.

4 million NRA members ain't nothing compared to how many moms and dads are out there.

And yet again you want to blame the gun, the gun seller, and of all things the NRA (for whatever reason I have no idea.)

How many more freedoms ate you willing to give up for an illusion of safety?
The President is a fink.
December 20th, 2012 at 6:42:04 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
And yet again you want to blame the gun, the gun seller, and of all things the NRA (for whatever reason I have no idea.)

When someone killed people by tampering with Tylenol, the company took steps to tamper-proof the pills ( why we got seals and caplets)

No reason to let gun proponents sit on their hands either.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 20th, 2012 at 7:25:22 AM permalink
MidwestAP
Threads: 1

Obviously the gun itself is not responsible, but it's part of the equation (and yes they have changed). It's a weapon that is used much more frequently with more destructive force than any other kind of weapon. Thinking otherwise is burying your head in the sand.

I'm have no preconception that all violence would cease nor that all gun violence would go away. Bad people will still find ways to do bad things, but if we can make it more difficult, shouldn't we try? And if we can decrease the amount of deaths through ANY and ALL measures that are effective, wouldn't that be progress? You can't say for 100% certainty that it wouldn't have an impact nor can I say with 100% certainty that it would. But putting controls on weapons (limiting firepower, restricting access) in my opinion is part (and only part) of the solution.

As far as the commentary about society and lack of self-accoutability, I couldn't agree more. And addressing those issues, along with mental health issues are all parts of the equation that need to be addressed.
December 20th, 2012 at 7:38:37 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: MidwestAP
Obviously the gun itself is not responsible, but it's part of the equation (and yes they have changed). It's a weapon that is used much more frequently with more destructive force than any other kind of weapon. Thinking otherwise is burying your head in the sand.

I'm have no preconception that all violence would cease nor that all gun violence would go away. Bad people will still find ways to do bad things, but if we can make it more difficult, shouldn't we try? And if we can decrease the amount of deaths through ANY and ALL measures that are effective, wouldn't that be progress? You can't say for 100% certainty that it wouldn't have an impact nor can I say with 100% certainty that it would. But putting controls on weapons (limiting firepower, restricting access) in my opinion is part (and only part) of the solution.

As far as the commentary about society and lack of self-accoutability, I couldn't agree more. And addressing those issues, along with mental health issues are all parts of the equation that need to be addressed.

My and anybody's chances of dying by a gun are minimal. We cannot remove all risk in life. Our risks in the USA are so few the human brain tries to find something to worry about.
The President is a fink.
December 20th, 2012 at 8:02:13 AM permalink
FarFromVegas
Threads: 3
Quote: MidwestAP

My and anybody's chances of dying by a gun are minimal. We cannot remove all risk in life. Our risks in the USA are so few the human brain tries to find something to worry about.

My brain doesn't have to find something to worry about. You're the one who had to find something as ludicrous as a window to worry about to try to make your darling gun appear to be safe by comparison. My chance of dying by a gun is greater than dying by a car (another one of your straw men) in this state now. I do not need to manufacture a worry.

I won't waste any more time on you--you have no power. We've already sent out letters to the people who can actually do something.

Enjoy being on the minority side once again.
This space for rent