List of music artists you have seen live that have passed away

Page 2 of 4<1234>
February 8th, 2016 at 12:02:58 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Best concert I've ever attended, by leaps and bounds, was when we went way up to Barrie, ONT to catch the Beastie Boys. Talk about energy. It was 93* all day and I slammed my ass of from start to finish.

Had tickets for the Holy Grail- Beastie Boys again but this time with RAtM. Mother of God, was I pumped. Just weeks before the date, one of the Boys broke a leg or arm on BMX. Date postponed. A month later, RATM split. And now, of course Adam "MCA" Yauch is dead.

Sad stuff. I wrote a paper on the Boys. Got glowing reviews despite my reputation as a hopeless waste.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 8th, 2016 at 4:33:48 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: zippyboy
Since I grew up in Austin, I saw Stevie Ray Vaughan countless times before he was famous because he played the little dive bars near the UT campus that I could get into without an ID when I was still in high school. I also saw him in a big auditorium on his last trip through Austin when he toured with Jeff Beck the summer of 1990, SRV died in August that year. Austin was in mourning for days

Wow, you saw SRV. I never got a chance to see him
I made it to Austin once about 7 or 8 years ago. Attended Willie Nelson July 4th Picnic. The lineup was Leon Russell, The Dead and Willie. The Dead came out all wearing bandanas in honor of Willie.

I also saw Muddy Waters at Antone's in early 80s.

I saw The Cars twice in Austin in late 70s-early 80s (Benjamin Orr died in 2000).

I'm impressed you caught Muddy. I love the blues and Muddy.
I also saw the Cars, just once at the Cap Center in MD.

I had tickets to see Led Zeppelin for the In Through the Out Door tour in Dallas when we all got the news Bonham had died. But I later saw Robert Plant on his solo tour couple years later. He played no Zeppelin songs, but his whole encore was a 10-minute improvisational Whole Lotta Love-type thing.

Currently Robert Plant is playing in the band - Sensational Space Shifters.
The band he put together a few years ago, The Band of Joy, I saw live and was quite blown away. They did Houses of the Holy which is a Zep song I love but Zep rarely performed live.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 8th, 2016 at 5:09:02 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Hey terapined, have you lost any of your hearing? You've been to quite a few concerts. I still remember the effect when some loud live concerts ended -- you're kind of just shouting at your friends for awhile.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 8th, 2016 at 5:35:39 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: rxwine
Hey terapined, have you lost any of your hearing? You've been to quite a few concerts. I still remember the effect when some loud live concerts ended -- you're kind of just shouting at your friends for awhile.

I think I may have lost a little but overall I hear pretty well
I have seen a lot of small bar/nightclub performances. That's where it can get really too loud. That's probably where I have been damaged. Too many soundboard guys believe too loud is good. I have been in clubs where I had to step away because it was so loud I knew my ears needed a break.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 8th, 2016 at 6:13:59 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
The most memorable concert I went to was Janice Joplin's last concert with Big Brother and the Holding Company. Got lucky and ended up at the same club in Vancouver that they went to after the concert. They ended up taking over the stage from the house band that was playing and got pissed and played until the wee small hours. Joplin went through at least one bottle of Southern Comfort while on stage and could hardly stand by the end.

Probably the second most unique was seeing the Animals in a small supper club in Vancouver.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 8th, 2016 at 6:25:33 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: kenarman
The most memorable concert I went to was Janice Joplin's last concert with Big Brother and the Holding Company. Got lucky and ended up at the same club in Vancouver that they went to after the concert. They ended up taking over the stage from the house band that was playing and got pissed and played until the wee small hours. Joplin went through at least one bottle of Southern Comfort while on stage and could hardly stand by the end.

Wow, what a historic show
February 8th, 2016 at 7:45:15 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: Face
Best concert I've ever attended, by leaps and bounds, was when we went way up to Barrie, ONT to catch the Beastie Boys.

I saw Beastie Boys in late-1984 when they opened for Madonna. I don't think anyone even knew who they were then, and I had won the tickets from a radio station.....so I went. Later they became big. Oh, and Madonna, she got more popular too.
February 8th, 2016 at 8:25:27 PM permalink
kenarman
Quote: terapined
Wow, what a historic show

They announced they were splitting during the tour and it just happened Vancouver was the last stop on the tour. Just shit house luck we ended up in the same club after. Word they were at the club spread like wild fire and they had to lock the doors shortly after Janis and the boys arrived.

Saw Hedrix play in a relatively small venue called the Retinal Circus too. It was one of the first psychedelic venues to open. First place I ever saw the oil and food dyes on an overhead projector trick.
February 8th, 2016 at 8:41:27 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: kenarman

Probably the second most unique was seeing the Animals in a small supper club in Vancouver.

That is such a trip, that you were there (in Vancouver). I was completely obsessed by JJ for a few years, and very upset when she died. I sang her music for years (her versions of Summertime, Bobby McGee, Piece of My Heart), and used her Mercedes Benz for several auditions.

I think it would be a real addition to the board (or even the larger legacy) if you wrote a detailed recollection of that night (both the concert and especially the nightclub afterwards). Might even get published if you shopped it around; I'm not aware that story was ever written.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 9th, 2016 at 7:29:52 AM permalink
kenarman
Not sure I am up to an article on that night BBB or that I have enough memories of that night :-) One on my clearest memories of a song is Mercedes Benz. We went to a true (in a barn barndance) and camped that night in the hay meadow after the dance. I was up early in the morning for a pee and trying to clear my head and someone but on Janice doing Mercedes. It just filled the whole valley with her voice and somehow seemed magical.
Page 2 of 4<1234>