The God Awakens

February 8th, 2016 at 1:23:28 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Simple premise:

One fine day in a small bronze-age kingdom, not on Earth, a gold statue of a god, which looks really odd and alien, appears in the capital's forum. People gather around it in wonder, and then it speaks:

"The radius of a circle," the god says," runs around the circumference 3 and 1/7th times. If you add the radius to itself three and 1/7h times, you will know the circumference." This is accompanied by graphics projected in holograms in front of the god. He adds, "When you figure out how to obtain the area of a circle, come and show me. If you are right, I will tell you more."

Over a few years these people learn lots of things, many of them practical, each time the god gets his right answer and awakens.

Laughable? believable? a bit of both?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 8th, 2016 at 1:44:13 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
A real god doesn't work that way. A real
god is more worried about himself and
issues rules like: No gods before him, no
images of him, no swearing using his
name, set aside one day a week where
all you do is kiss gods ass. This is all
a real god wants, for you to put his
arrogant persona above everything else.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 8th, 2016 at 5:17:56 PM permalink
Nareed
I could develop a full story, but I thought I'd make a vignette instead. Only a few pages, taking up just one scene.
February 8th, 2016 at 6:02:47 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed
I could develop a full story, but I thought I'd make a vignette instead. Only a few pages, taking up just one scene.

It sounds like your god in this story is science.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 8th, 2016 at 6:59:15 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: FrGamble
It sounds like your god in this story is science.

The god in my story is not a god.
February 9th, 2016 at 4:56:27 AM permalink
ChesterDog
Threads: 0
A book like that would teach math to children and adults step-by-step without boring them. Advanced math ideas could be covered, too. One of the science communicators (maybe Tyson) pointed out that people complain about science being hard to learn but they can watch a soap opera day-to-day and recite all the complex plots.
February 9th, 2016 at 5:37:33 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
If you add the radius to itself three and 1/7h times, you will know the circumference."

Archimedes great discovery was that "If you add the radius to itself three and 1/7th times, you will slightly overestimate the circumference."
February 9th, 2016 at 6:23:31 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: ChesterDog
A book like that would teach math to children and adults step-by-step without boring them. Advanced math ideas could be covered, too.

Perhaps it could.

But it would take someone with a better knowledge of science, and better science popularization skills than I have.