Airport landing videos

Page 1 of 212>
February 12th, 2016 at 6:58:31 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I don't know why, but I can't get enough of these airport landing videos. Here is just one example of a west bound landing in Las Vegas.

I think it would be very cool if planes let the passengers see on the little TV screens a cockpit view of where they were going. It would certainly help kill the boredom of flying.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 12th, 2016 at 7:37:05 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
I think it would be very cool if planes let the passengers see on the little TV screens a cockpit view of where they were going. It would certainly help kill the boredom of flying.

Interjet has a take-off/landing camera on too few of their planes. The video is displayed on the ridiculously small overhead screens.

Many long-haul flights on European and Mid-east airlines, on their newer planes, have a tail camera which is accessible on the seat-back screens. This is particularly so on the A380. IMO something like that should be standard on all planes.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 12th, 2016 at 8:27:58 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
They should have wing cameras -- tip of wing.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 13th, 2016 at 9:45:41 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Wizard, have you ever flown a small plane? If not, you should consider taking flying lessons. It really isn't very expensive and doesn't take long until you are able to fly the plane solo. I had 9 hours of flight instructor time in the plane before they allowed me to fly solo.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 13th, 2016 at 10:57:57 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: DRich
Wizard, have you ever flown a small plane? If not, you should consider taking flying lessons. It really isn't very expensive and doesn't take long until you are able to fly the plane solo. I had 9 hours of flight instructor time in the plane before they allowed me to fly solo.

Yes. I've flown in small planes several times. Indeed, I have thought about taking up flying lessons. One thing that holds me back is I get a bit motion sick on small slow planes like Cesnas.
February 13th, 2016 at 11:15:33 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Yes. I've flown in small planes several times. Indeed, I have thought about taking up flying lessons.

http://www.lasvegassailplanes.com/las-vegas-discovery-flights.php

Try a sail plane.Usually another small prop tows you up in the air and you learn how to glide her down. They are much more willing to hand over controls of a sail plane, as the guy behind you can take over whenever he wishes. Many people are less likely to get airsick once they get control of the vehicle. A lot of people get carsick when they are not driving.

You may be surprised how insubstantial a sail plane can seem. It is just fabric stretched over a tubular frame.

http://skydivelasvegas.com/
Or just dispense with the plane altogether.
February 14th, 2016 at 9:11:05 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
Try a sail plane.

I've read troops transported into battle using gliders during WWII had an awful time of it, even by wartime standards. Allegedly they had a song with these lines:

Gory, gory
What a horrible way to die!

But then people were likely shooting at their wood and fabric not-quite-planes.

Seriously, gliding is one of those pursuits that tend to invoke my inner Sheldon Cooper: "But we've spent decades perfecting aircraft propulsion."
February 14th, 2016 at 4:00:51 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Nareed
I've read troops transported into battle using gliders during WWII had an awful time of it, even by wartime standards.

Is that why there those huge things that looked like jacks all over the beach -- to keep gliders from landing on the beach? Same thing with those things that looked like blimps with a cable between it and the ground?
February 14th, 2016 at 4:06:32 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6

Is that why there those huge things that looked like jacks all over the beach -- to keep gliders from landing on the beach? Same thing with those things that looked like blimps with a cable between it and the ground?

Yes, I think that's exactly what they were for.

I would echo the recommendation you take flying lessons. It's the most wonderful thing to fly yourself, especially during take-off and landing. Very different than being a passenger in the same aircraft.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 14th, 2016 at 4:56:58 PM permalink
Nareed
Is that why there those huge things that looked like jacks all over the beach -- to keep gliders from landing on the beach?

No.

Those are obstacles for landing craft. The Nazis expected the invasion to come at high tide. Those things would be under water then. The landings came between low and high tides, though, rendering the obstacles visible.

Quote:
Same thing with those things that looked like blimps with a cable between it and the ground?

That photo is after the landing. The blimps belong to the allies. The cables are obstacles for low-flying fighters.
Page 1 of 212>