RIP Scalia

Page 6 of 9« First<3456789>
February 19th, 2016 at 4:04:15 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: beachbumbabs
Yeah, that was a laugh, given that he criticized Obama so strongly for not attending. But oh, no, Cruz has campaigning to do, couldn't possibly be there. Much more important than duties any random President might have that day, doncha know....

As POTUS Obama would be more expected to attend the funeral. He always finds time for his NCAA brackets.
The President is a fink.
February 19th, 2016 at 5:57:03 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: AZDuffman
He always finds time for his NCAA brackets.

It amazes me
If the President is a Republican, conservatives know the Prez needs some down time to avoid burnout and do a good job
But a Dem, well , see the comment above.
kind of sad
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 19th, 2016 at 6:16:37 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: terapined
It amazes me

Why?

The first principle of politics states: It's only wrong when the other party does it.

Corollary: it's only right if our party does it.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 20th, 2016 at 7:16:09 AM permalink
AZDuffman
It amazes me
If the President is a Republican, conservatives know the Prez needs some down time to avoid burnout and do a good job
But a Dem, well , see the comment above.
kind of sad

What is kind of sad is that Obama is such a partisan hack that he will not attend the funeral of a justice he disagreed with.

Same guy who filibustered a SCOTUS justice yet demands it not be done when he appoints him

Same guy who voted against raising the debt limit yet demanded the GOP raise it for him.

Sad, indeed.
The President is a fink.
February 20th, 2016 at 10:01:05 AM permalink
terapined
What is kind of sad is that Obama is such a partisan hack that he will not attend the funeral of a justice he disagreed with.

Same guy who filibustered a SCOTUS justice yet demands it not be done when he appoints him

Same guy who voted against raising the debt limit yet demanded the GOP raise it for him.

Sad, indeed.

Funerals are meaningless
Funerals are overpriced BS.
Watch the Big Lebowski Funeral home scene where they try to rip off the guys, its a hoot :-)
Its all over priced BS

The point I was making is I know Presidents need down time regardless if Dem or republican
If a republican president needs some down time, I will not criticize.
If Mitch Mconnell needs some down time, I will not criticize
But of course Obama does a bracket and AZ is offended

If the President was a republican, of course the conservatives would say he should pick a replacement and I would agree with the conservatives in this case.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 20th, 2016 at 10:20:43 AM permalink
AZDuffman

But of course Obama does a bracket and AZ is offended

Uh, no.

It was stated here that Obama might need some down time and is busy which is why he would be probably the first POTUS to skip a funeral of a sitting Supreme. I stated that was a BS excuse because he finds time for his bracket every year.

He is skipping it because he cannot accept anyone who does not share his radical, liberal viewpoint.

He has no class.

I could care less about his bracket, I could care less about basketball. I do a bracket when a pool is going on to be sociable mostly and just pick Duke every year to go all the way.
The President is a fink.
February 20th, 2016 at 10:45:44 AM permalink
terapined
Uh, no.

It was stated here that Obama might need some down time and is busy which is why he would be probably the first POTUS to skip a funeral of a sitting Supreme. I stated that was a BS excuse because he finds time for his bracket every year.

He is skipping it because he cannot accept anyone who does not share his radical, liberal viewpoint.

He has no class.

I could care less about his bracket, I could care less about basketball. I do a bracket when a pool is going on to be sociable mostly and just pick Duke every year to go all the way.

A funereal is a total waste of time
This is the leader of the free world
He can be doing all kinds of important things instead of attending some BS over priced ceremony that accomplishes nothing.
Syria civil war, Isis, crazy North Korea, US airstrike Libya, China Phillipines dispute escalating, Zika virus ect
Last thing I want my President to do is wasting time at a BS ceremony that accomplishes nothing and is not enjoyable down time for him.
If he is to have down time, I want him to enjoy it so his performance improves. Don't want burn out.
Its a total waste of time and the Presidents time is valuable

Duke, grrr
I'm a Maryland fan :-)
February 20th, 2016 at 12:58:45 PM permalink
AZDuffman
A funereal is a total waste of time
This is the leader of the free world
He can be doing all kinds of important things instead of attending some BS over priced ceremony that accomplishes nothing.
Syria civil war, Isis, crazy North Korea, US airstrike Libya, China Phillipines dispute escalating, Zika virus ect
Last thing I want my President to do is wasting time at a BS ceremony that accomplishes nothing and is not enjoyable down time for him.
If he is to have down time, I want him to enjoy it so his performance improves. Don't want burn out.
Its a total waste of time and the Presidents time is valuable

He is not going to be doing anything important. As bad as he has messed up Syria, Libya. et al the last thing he needs to do is spend more time on any of them. Many things are "a waste of time" but if you have class you show up. I had an employee die, I made sure to show up at his funeral as did my boss. I had an employee's father die, I showed up to the wake. It is what you do. Obama is likely still ticked at the Citizen's United decision and I would not be surprised if that weighed on his decision as I believe he is that petty.

Quote:
Duke, grrr
I'm a Maryland fan :-)

Meh, I don't care about or even know who their rivals are. I just pick them because they are pretty much always invited, they are the first team I remember winning it all, and it is somewhat a good academic program that plays more white boys than most teams. As far as basketball goes if I needed to know the difference between the center and power forward or even how many minutes in a college game I would have to go and ask someone. Mark Cuban is not going to buy me a beer to talk the game but really I just cannot watch it at all except maybe a few minutes during March Madness.

Still, if I play for fun I move Duke to the championship first thing and fill the rest in from there.
The President is a fink.
February 20th, 2016 at 2:03:34 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Uh, no.

He has no class.

This is a lot of nonsense, AZD, as to why he's not there. I don't know why and neither do you. He and the First Lady were there for the wake/viewing on Friday. I don't know about sitting justices particularly, but the President in the past has not attended SCOTUS funerals with any regularity; the numbers I glanced at were maybe 1/2 of them POTUS attends. The VP, who often represents the White House at state funerals both domestic and international, will be there; it's kind of his job.

I just think it's disingenuous for you to put all this hostility and ulterior motives into the President's motives. He's shown a great deal of respect towards Scalia all week.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 20th, 2016 at 2:19:06 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: beachbumbabs
This is a lot of nonsense, AZD, as to why he's not there. I don't know why and neither do you. He and the First Lady were there for the wake/viewing on Friday. I don't know about sitting justices particularly, but the President in the past has not attended SCOTUS funerals with any regularity; the numbers I glanced at were maybe 1/2 of them POTUS attends. The VP, who often represents the White House at state funerals both domestic and international, will be there; it's kind of his job.

I just think it's disingenuous for you to put all this hostility and ulterior motives into the President's motives. He's shown a great deal of respect towards Scalia all week.

Oh, I may not be inside his head, but I know how liberals think about Scalia. Obama could have shown respect and shown up. He could have shown up in the spirit of working across the aisle. He does not want and has never wanted this. As I said, he is a partisan hack and always has been.

Obama never learned a basic rule of acting like a man:

EDIT: Lets put this a second way. A smart leader when he has the advantage would show up and be magnanimous. He would do this because it is both the right thing to do and because he wants to have a chit when confirmation comes up.

A weird parallel is when Neil Dellacroce died and Paul Castellano did not show for his funeral. He had a faction of his people that disliked him then he showed zero respect by not showing up. Had he shown John Gotti might not have gotten enough backing to take him out. Obama will not be killed over this, but he makes no friends and instead gives his enemies ammunition to show he has no interest in cooperating.
The President is a fink.
Page 6 of 9« First<3456789>