test miplets clue dispover

Page 1 of 212>
February 19th, 2016 at 8:24:54 AM permalink
miplet
Threads: 8
I need some volunteers test my clue programs. Here are the 3 links that you need:
http://miplet.net/clue/log.php is a current log of the game.
http://miplet.net/clue/cards.php needs the player and password (a for Scarlet, b for Mustard ect) and then it will list the cards you have. It lists a number for each player. The higher number will be used if more than one card can be shown. Change any numbers and click update to modify. Underneath the table lists all cards that you have shown or been shown.
http://miplet.net/clue/move.php starts the moving/suggesting process. The current player is listed at the top.
1. Enter password and where you want to go. Only available moves are shown.
2. If you moved to outside a room, it will display your move. Click confirm to confirm, or go back and start over. It will then display your move and an updated board.
3. If entered or stayed in a room, you then choose a weapon and suspect. click submit.
4. Confirm your suggestion ,or go back.
5. The program will then display the entire move and disprove text and current board. Under the board it will tell you the card shown. If there is more than one card it will show you one you have already seen first followed by whatever has the highest number in cards table.

Any questions, comments, suggestions, errors, please let me know.
"...remind me of clue: Colonel Mustard in the billiard room with the candlestick."- Derek Morgan
February 19th, 2016 at 8:58:05 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: miplet
I need some volunteers test my clue programs.
I re-affirm I will help test.

Expect puzzlement from everybody at first. We don't use passwords yet, leave the field blank?

Quote:
Here are the 3 links that you need:
http://miplet.net/clue/log.php is a current log of the game.
http://miplet.net/clue/cards.php needs the player and password (a for Scarlet, b for Mustard ect) and then it will list the cards you have. It lists a number for each player. The higher number will be used if more than one card can be shown. Change any numbers and click update to modify. Underneath the table lists all cards that you have shown or been shown.
http://miplet.net/clue/move.php starts the moving/suggesting process. The current player is listed at the top.
so, to begin, we wait for scarlet I guess?

Quote:

1. Enter password and where you want to go. Only available moves are shown.
2. If you moved to outside a room, it will display your move. Click confirm to confirm, or go back and start over. It will then display your move and an updated board.
3. If entered or stayed in a room, you then choose a weapon and suspect. click submit.
does the program know when you can't stay?
Quote:

4. Confirm your suggestion ,or go back.
5. The program will then display the entire move and disprove text and current board. Under the board it will tell you the card shown. If there is more than one card it will show you one you have already seen first followed by whatever has the highest number in cards table.
I take we are waiting for volunteers before we really get to use the programs?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 19th, 2016 at 10:41:07 AM permalink
miplet
Quote: odiousgambit
I re-affirm I will help test.

Expect puzzlement from everybody at first. We don't use passwords yet, leave the field blank?

so, to begin, we wait for scarlet I guess?

does the program know when you can't stay? I take we are waiting for volunteers before we really get to use the programs?

Use the 1 letter password (scarlet =a , mustard =b, ... Brown =g). After testing I'll change the password.
I started a testing game. It is round 2 Mustards turn. Maybe I should start a fresh game?
Yes the program only shows valid moves. No staying in the same room you made a suggestion from last round( unless you were transported to a different room and re-transported back).
We can start testing anytime. I did a lot of testing myself. I really am just looking to see if I missed something and that no error messages show. I gave most players 1 of each card type to check that it shows the right card if there is more than one.
"...remind me of clue: Colonel Mustard in the billiard room with the candlestick."- Derek Morgan
February 19th, 2016 at 12:36:42 PM permalink
odiousgambit
OK, I think you need to lay out more information as you play

so, when someone even does something as simple as looking at the log of play, it needs to say "this is the log of what happened so far" ... you really couldn't possibly over-spell-it-out. Suggest the next step right there.

I would indicate "you haven't finished unless you see the board with the new status" right there in plain English every time someone is to do something and get it confirmed. Expect people to forget to hit 'confirm'. Then you can ask them "did you get the board with the new status". Again, next steps should be suggested

Lastly, I suggest players not use the function that allows the player to re-order how cards are to be shown to other players until they master the rest of it. That will probably mean you have to help them with that, at first.
February 19th, 2016 at 3:52:15 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
I don't understand the function of the 3, 6, 9 numbers under other people's names. Or what might be updated there to my benefit (I signed in as White, since it had my name)

I also see little use (my misunderstanding, I'm sure) to the move thing (3rd link) at the moment. I moved Green just to see what it would do, probably not in accordance with the script you're using - sorry if that messed you up. If I recall correctly, I think he gets called in somewhere before it's an issue, but I could be wrong.

So, this doesn't seem to do your thinking for you, but I'm not sure what it does do for you. Could you pretend I'm stupid and explain in more detail what you're going for, please? :)
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 19th, 2016 at 5:17:16 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: beachbumbabs
I don't understand the function of the 3, 6, 9 numbers under other people's names. Or what might be updated there to my benefit (I signed in as White, since it had my name)
I'll pipe in when I think I get it. In this case, *each other player* can have a separate order to be shown cards. Is that necessary? In any case, I think that is the function to skip and learn the others first

Quote:
I also see little use (my misunderstanding, I'm sure) to the move thing (3rd link) at the moment. I moved Green just to see what it would do, probably not in accordance with the script you're using - sorry if that messed you up.
Well, Green was next. I had just taken Mustard's turn and White's turn before you. Normally, you wait for your turn, and no one else has the password. It is critical to realize the drop down menu is to be accessed

Quote:
If I recall correctly, I think he gets called in somewhere before it's an issue, but I could be wrong.

So, this doesn't seem to do your thinking for you, but I'm not sure what it does do for you. Could you pretend I'm stupid and explain in more detail what you're going for, please? :)

Yes, I think Miplet has been so involved with it he has the problem the person fluent in a language has with those first encountering it. Even if not learning the language as a child, the former has no memory of what it was like for the latter at the point of first encounter, and often no patience. We'll have to try to help him help us I think.

PS: in your first question, by default or whatever, 3,6,9 is the order to be shown cards. In other words, a suggestion is made, but say it includes 3 and 6, both cards you have. The player making the suggestion will be shown #3 unless #6 was shown to that player before.
February 20th, 2016 at 2:33:02 AM permalink
odiousgambit
just waiting for a response from you, Miplet. It seems to me what you've got is user friendly, however, ironically manages to puzzle at first.
February 20th, 2016 at 4:27:28 AM permalink
miplet
Quote: odiousgambit
just waiting for a response from you, Miplet. It seems to me what you've got is user friendly, however, ironically manages to puzzle at first.
more info coming soon. I've been busy since I posted last.
February 20th, 2016 at 11:28:33 AM permalink
miplet
I've made some changes.
http://miplet.net/clue/log.php now states its a log of the game. Formatting errors should be fixed.
http://miplet.net/clue/cards.php was redone. It lists cards shown to you, cards you have shown, and the order your cards will be shown. The reorder function is now a separate page.
http://miplet.net/clue/cardorder.php Shows your cards and their priority number. Higher priority number will be shown first. I've removed the ability to customize the order for each player. Click update to change or go back to go to the cards page.
http://miplet.net/clue/move.php is used when its your turn. I've added some text. Nothing gets finalized until you get the "Your turn has been finalized." text with the current board. If you are shown a card, it will be under the board.
February 20th, 2016 at 12:38:31 PM permalink
odiousgambit
why aren't the priorities for showing cards just 1, 2, and 3?

should there be a link in the "move" function to go back to the game log?

let's see if BBB has questions.

testing whether the board displays. I used Mustard's password and made a move:

PS: if this was a game, I should say what my move is in the thread. So I will:

Mustard (odg)
Enters Lounge
Suggests Dr. Brown with Poison in Lounge
White (bbb) can't disprove
Green (mip) can't disprove
Peacock (azd) can't disprove
Plum (wiz) disproves

Page 1 of 212>