As I Suspected, Quit Worrying

December 18th, 2012 at 12:15:17 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 153
Quit worrying about mercury in fluorescent bulbs [in case the safety nazis got to you]. Only caveat seems to be to watch out for youngster's exposure, or constant exposure [hard to picture]

http://www.aarp.org/politics-society/environment/info-08-2011/broken-fluorescent-bulb-ask-the-experts.html?cmp=BAC-OUTBRAIN-POLITICS_5782092_How-Dangerous-Is-a-Broken-Fluorescent-Bu
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 18th, 2012 at 1:17:38 PM permalink
FarFromVegas
Threads: 3
Quote: odiousgambit
Quit worrying about mercury in fluorescent bulbs [in case the safety nazis got to you]. Only caveat seems to be to watch out for youngster's exposure, or constant exposure [hard to picture]

http://www.aarp.org/politics-society/environment/info-08-2011/broken-fluorescent-bulb-ask-the-experts.html?cmp=BAC-OUTBRAIN-POLITICS_5782092_How-Dangerous-Is-a-Broken-Fluorescent-Bu

My kids broke a fluorescent and cleaned it up without telling me what they had done. I warned them to stop throwing balls in the house and let me know if they ever do it again so I can clean it up myself.

I won't minimize the danger of mercury exposure to young kids or pregnant women, though. I forced myself to eat healthily and had a lot of swordfish when I was pregnant with my second child, and then the studies came out warning against it. That child is the one with Aspergers. I had two more kids after that, including one when I was over 40 and they're both neurologically typical.

So, I wouldn't go nuts over a broken bulb every once in a while, but keep the kids away. Three of my kids are bigger than I am, anyway.
This space for rent
December 21st, 2012 at 10:23:13 AM permalink
98Clubs
Threads: 2
Quote: odiousgambit
Quit worrying about mercury in fluorescent bulbs [in case the safety nazis got to you].

I'm more worried about the UV radiation they emit.
There are four things certain in life... Death, Taxes, the Resistance to them, and Stupidity.
December 22nd, 2012 at 8:26:48 AM permalink
s2dbaker
Threads: 13
I once played with a little ball of liquid mercury in High School Science class, right there on my desk. Now I'm stupid.
December 22nd, 2012 at 5:30:38 PM permalink
digitaltim
Threads: 0
Quote: s2dbaker
Now I'm stupid.

I agree.