Robots are getting scary

Page 2 of 3<123>
March 2nd, 2016 at 4:52:28 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Face
But think, as Aye alluded to they're being asked to perform in a human world. You ever watch, say, an automotive assembly line? Pin point perfect welds on a unibody, one that is held completely off the ground and spun this way and that as the welder rapid fires off each and every one. On to paint where it's blasted perfectly over and over. In the robot world, they do a pretty good job.

Luckily there aren't many that are all that... locomotive. If they want to go after you, you pretty much just have to move over there.

I don't dispute that robots can do the same programmed task over and over very well. However, it will be a long day before you can tell a robot, "Go upstairs, open my bedroom door, get my red tie from the closet, and bring it back to me."
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 2nd, 2016 at 6:23:06 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Wizard
I don't dispute that robots can do the same programmed task over and over very well. However, it will be a long day before you can tell a robot, "Go upstairs, open my bedroom door, get my red tie from the closet, and bring it back to me."

No need that are what wives are for ;-)
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 2nd, 2016 at 6:37:37 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: kenarman

When you talk that way, keep in mind your wife knows ties have multiple uses, and they're designed to fit the neck ;)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 2nd, 2016 at 6:51:30 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239

I would be quickly reminded of the legal status of slavery of I said that.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 2nd, 2016 at 6:56:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I don't dispute that robots can do the same programmed task over and over very well. "

Ever see the orig Stepford Wives? I thought
it was appalling when it came out. Now
that I'm older I'm not so sure. Wives are
so, well, wife-ish. If you catch my drift..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 2nd, 2016 at 7:06:08 PM permalink
kenarman
I would be quickly reminded of the legal status of slavery of I said that.

She will gladly do it Wiz, just come down with a green tie when you need the red one to match her outfit.
March 2nd, 2016 at 7:54:49 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188

Well, then you'll need a robot to block the blow from a frying pan after you say stuff.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 2nd, 2016 at 8:30:16 PM permalink
kenarman
Quote: rxwine
Well, then you'll need a robot to block the blow from a frying pan after you say stuff.

Naw. I have had 50 years to learn how to duck. I know all her moves.
March 3rd, 2016 at 11:39:17 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Bruce Willis starred in the 2009 movie "Surrogates" that was about a near future where the majority of real people spend their days laying in "Stim" chairs at home experiencing the world through their avatar robots. The extra features on the DVD include a short bit on how all the technologies demonstrated in the film exist in rudimentary forms today. This article contains an interview with some of "futurist" folks, including consultants to the film.

The fake skin and hands are amazingly lifelike. They even have "fingerprints".

I can easily imagine this technology refined and functioning to the point that we interact with it in the normal course of life within the next 50 years. Some hotels already have robot staff. I can imagine fast food joints adding them in the near future too.
March 4th, 2016 at 3:04:44 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Ayecarumba
Bruce Willis starred in the 2009 movie "Surrogates" that was about a near future where the majority of real people spend their days laying in "Stim" chairs at home experiencing the world through their avatar robots.

The idea of people living alone and meeting via holographs idea was explored in an Asimov novel, the Naked Sun from the 1950's. Surrogates was not very scary, but the collective virtual reality world of Caprica seems more of a possibility. Game playing is quickly replaced by obsessive teens, who use it to get drunk, have sex, fight, and even kill one another. Caprica is a prequel to Battlestar Galactica.

Page 2 of 3<123>