13 votes (50%)
10 votes (38.46%)
3 votes (11.53%)

26 members have voted

April 13th, 2016 at 9:01:16 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: beachbumbabs
That is one distorted bubble you live in, azd. Businesses decide not to do business with bigots and for you, that makes them the bigot. Interesting twist.

You want to talk about a "twist?" A state makes a law saying men must use the men's room and women the women's room and that causes a boycott. We are truly in a bizarro world there. You (I assume) and they are calling someone who says you have to use the correct restroom a "bigot?" That they and their female customers must accommodate men who choose to live as transvestites and to hell with their comfort and safety? Really?

Quote:
People and businesses vote with patronizing or not Patronizing communities, states, other businesses. It's the most sincere form of support or not, when there's money involved. Those who don't want to do business in a climate that discriminates against customers, not as bad customers, but judging them to be unworthy customers due to the businesses' prejudices, deserve to go out of business. Boycotting bad business IS good business.

The thing is, nobody is being discriminated against. The proper bathroom is there to use. Like the gay marriage thing, a very small minority is demanding society change to suit their personal choices. First it was to re-define marriage. Now it is to redefine gender. Too many in power are afraid to stand up for common sense.

Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing.
The President is a fink.
April 13th, 2016 at 9:48:30 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: AZDuffman
But what can you do, the LGBT has always been an intolerant movement and no reason to see them change their tactics. That still does not make it an "anti-business" law. The law puts no constraints on business, it gives businesses more freedom.

You just don't get it
The majority of people and businesses are against the law
Its not just the small LGBT population against these laws
Its the MAJORITY OF THE PEOPLE
Most customers, suppliers , students, employees, employers ect are against this law in NC
Why
Most people are against discrimination, bigotry and hate.
When you pass laws the majority of employees and employers are against, its anti-business

The fallout continues from the anti-business law in NC

A study by Duke University placed the annual economic impact of the High Point market at $5.39 billion. The furnishings industry also generates more than 600,000 visitor days to the state each year and accounts for 37,000 jobs.
Already the High Point Market Authority reports that hundreds or thousands of the 75,000 retailers and designers who annually attend the market won’t be visiting this year because of HB2.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/bigotry-raises-its-hideous-head-in-north-carolina/2016/04/12/0093a590-00fd-11e6-b823-707c79ce3504_story.html
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 13th, 2016 at 10:44:52 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: terapined
You just don't get it
The majority of people and businesses are against the law

"Most People?" I highly doubt it. A loud minority is against it. I believe a silent majority is for it. If the former is the case then someone should run for assembly and governor under the platform "I SUPPORT ALLOWING MEN IN THE LADIES ROOM" and see how they do at the polls.
The President is a fink.
April 13th, 2016 at 12:10:11 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: AZDuffman
"Most People?" I highly doubt it. A loud minority is against it. I believe a silent majority is for it. If the former is the case then someone should run for assembly and governor under the platform "I SUPPORT ALLOWING MEN IN THE LADIES ROOM" and see how they do at the polls.

Put up pictures and you will get a different result from your polls
Businesses leaving NC because they are listening to their employees and customers, not extremists
Its not a loud minority, its a large majority
I am not LGBT and I am against the NC law
I stand with the majority against hate, biggotry and discrimination
Look at the list of gigantic corporations, they are not listening to a minority, they are listening to a majority against hate

Listen to Bob Dylan, the times are a changing
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 13th, 2016 at 12:15:18 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
There have been several times, especially at clubs where I could have chastised a young woman for being in the wrong bathroom.

Because I assumed she was a young woman. But possibly she was not she even.

But why bother, and for what reason would I want to bother to get her tossed just for being in there?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 13th, 2016 at 4:54:21 PM permalink
terapined
Ringo Starr and his all Star band has canceled his concert in North Carolina in protest of the state’s anti-gay law HB2
April 13th, 2016 at 5:05:57 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: terapined

I stand with the majority against hate, biggotry and discrimination

Seems to me that depends on who is the bigot doing the hating and discriminating based on previous discussions.
The President is a fink.
April 14th, 2016 at 11:28:28 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Question: I heard the North Carolina bill says one must use a public bathroom for the gender on his/her birth certificate. However, can't one petition to change the gender on that?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 14th, 2016 at 12:43:01 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Wizard
Question: I heard the North Carolina bill says one must use a public bathroom for the gender on his/her birth certificate. However, can't one petition to change the gender on that?

No idea though I would imagine you have to get the operation to do so and not just because of how you "identify." Changing without going under the knife would lead to all kinds of problems.
The President is a fink.
April 14th, 2016 at 1:06:17 PM permalink
miplet
Threads: 8
Quote: Wizard

From NC law
Quote:
A written request from an individual is received by the State Registrar to change the sex on that individual's birth record because of sex reassignment surgery, if the request is accompanied by a notarized statement from the physician who performed the sex reassignment surgery or from a physician licensed to practice medicine who has examined the individual and can certify that the person has undergone sex reassignment surgery.

Other States
"...remind me of clue: Colonel Mustard in the billiard room with the candlestick."- Derek Morgan