Plus size models

Page 1 of 212>
February 26th, 2016 at 1:05:08 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Should plus size models be on the cover of Sports Illustrated?

The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 26th, 2016 at 1:22:59 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
HELL NO!!!

Absolutely no models should be in the magazine. Keep it about sports, there are plenty of magazines dedicated to ogling women,
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 26th, 2016 at 2:47:30 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Sure, BBW's can be fun :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 26th, 2016 at 3:08:40 PM permalink
petroglyph
I have no opinion on peoples desires about their partners.

It struck me that with America suffering from an obesity epidemic, why a Sports magazine would put a rotund woman on the cover.

Another model in the issue is Rhonda Rousey, IMO she is an athlete. She has my respect.

Occasionally I go to a Yahoo page to check my email and will click a link. I did this one and read a few comments on Cheryl Tiegs opinion that women with over a 35 inch waste were obese. Most of the other commenter's lit into her for prejudice against big girls.
March 3rd, 2016 at 4:13:17 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: petroglyph
I did this one and read a few comments on Cheryl Tiegs opinion that women with over a 35 inch waste were obese. Most of the other commenter's lit into her for prejudice against big girls.

The 35" rule has been touted by medical doctors for at least a decade. It has proven to be as important as traditional measures like age, cholesterol, blood pressure, the presence of diabetes, and smoking status. CT was just citing the medical establishment.

Cheryl Tiegs made a major political error by citing that statistic while commenting on that particular model, who didn't even have a 30" waist.
March 3rd, 2016 at 9:15:07 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Put on the cover what sells to your customers.

Who buys SI Swimsuit issue? Do they want larger women on the cover?
The President is a fink.
March 3rd, 2016 at 10:16:35 AM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Pacomartin
The 35" rule has been touted by medical doctors for at least a decade. It has proven to be as important as traditional measures like age, cholesterol, blood pressure, the presence of diabetes, and smoking status. CT was just citing the medical establishment.

Cheryl Tiegs made a major political error by citing that statistic while commenting on that particular model, who didn't even have a 30" waist.
It depends on where you run the tape. From the cover photo it appears her narrowest point is near her navel and also that she is sucking it in. There is also a rapid taper to her hips.

It only occurred to me and I posted because, when I see "Sports" in the title for a magazine, I automatically think athletes. I am overweight now but have done core exercises for years and know how hard it is to have "six pack abs". The models and athletes and body builders that can show that taught of a midriff have done relentless exercise to achieve that. I don't want to lesson their dedication by calling this models body form athletic.

I never cared for Twiggy's body form, I don't consider an anorexic waistline athletic either [or attractive]. This woman is not unattractive but much of that attraction is because of her youth. There are a lot of 50-60+ year old women who are in good physical condition that are quite attractive and that is from a lot of effort. This gal is just young and was lucky enough to be born with a pretty face. Give it 15 years.
March 4th, 2016 at 4:59:19 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: petroglyph
It only occurred to me and I posted because, when I see "Sports" in the title for a magazine, I automatically think athletes.

I think there is some merit in that argument. This is a fashion issue, and not really about Sports. Cheryl Tiegs and Christie Brinkley were very athletic. If SI had made a minor move, back to an earlier standard of beauty, it would have been less political.

Kate Upton was a beauty with more of a Marilyn Monroe type body.

36-25-34 Kate Upton
36-24-34 Marilyn Monroe
March 4th, 2016 at 9:45:44 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I think the general figure is sixteen percent............ models and actresses tend to be sixteen percent less that "real women".

Or as Ogden Nash put it: Store Window mannequins have slender fanniquins.

With some women taking heroin for fun and some for weight management, displaying a more corpulent woman may be a boon, but its still a contrast in our society of youth and waif-like necklines.

Best is for a woman to consider her genes and her diet and let nature dictate what happens, not magazine covers or fan magazine fictions. Some models eat a great deal and work out regularly; some "split a grape" for lunch. Which are truly healthier is obvious but often which is richest is a strange mark on our society.
March 4th, 2016 at 11:25:38 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Fleastiff
Some models eat a great deal and work out regularly; some "split a grape" for lunch.

Uma Thurman does a great orgasm scene over a piece of cake in this 20 year old movie. There is a tiny bit of it in the trailer at about 1:20.
Page 1 of 212>