No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
2 votes (15.38%)

13 members have voted

March 10th, 2016 at 5:29:45 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: kenarman
I also passed. Are we actually that above average? Maybe one of the math guys can calculate the odds of us all being 4 percenters.

I recall doing this quiz from an FB link recently. As I recall, I thought it far too easy. I also recall not sleeping during geography in junior high school, even if I wondered why it had to be a three-year subject.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 10th, 2016 at 6:15:35 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
Okay, here are my answers. They may not be right.

I remember that there are more than 3 people in European portion of Russia to 1 in Asian portion. It is part of the argument that Russia should be considered a European nation. That would be bigger than Germany.
March 10th, 2016 at 6:22:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I passed, but that could mean I got 11 out
of 20 right.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 10th, 2016 at 6:35:14 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Smells fishy. What if you retake it and just put in random responses? Maybe it's time to check for malware.
March 10th, 2016 at 7:31:45 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Did I miss something? I thought there were five oceans but it wasn't an even an option. Antarctica does have a permanent population. I believe Argentina even has a post office to establish legal standing in the future. All in all if only 4% pass that silly test its got to make you wonder about the 96%ers.
March 10th, 2016 at 7:37:55 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: pew
Did I miss something? I thought there were five oceans but it wasn't an even an option.

That's what I was thinking too -- Pacific, Atlantic, Indian, Southern, and Arctic. I went with the closest of seven. Also, isn't there a song about something to do with the "seven seas"?

Quote:
Antarctica does have a permanent population. I believe Argentina even has a post office to establish legal standing in the future. All in all if only 4% pass that silly test its got to make you wonder about the 96%ers.

I have to challenge you on that. I'll grant you there are always people at McMurdo, and probably other bases, but they are people that rotate in and out. Nobody, that I am aware, resides there permanently. The post office doesn't carry much weight with me. There is probably a post office at McMurdo as well. I want to see a settlement were at least one person counts it as his permanent home.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 10th, 2016 at 9:41:33 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Yeah, I'm a four percenter too. Big deal. Quiz was too slow.
Kardashians? OJ killed Nicole. Wore a blue/black outfit. Had a sweat shirt in the laundry machine. Crime scene examiner failed to seize it. Kardashian was lawyer suspected of taking it out of the house after the search.
Apparently his daughters milked the publicity with the help of press agents and boob exposure.
One of the Kardashians is rumored to have made an intelligent utterance once.
They all bought big houses in Calabasas.
Its known as socking away the royalties.
March 10th, 2016 at 9:46:13 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Nope, Seven Seas.

Antartica ... by treaty sovereignty claims were waived in favor of scientific research. Argentina more interested in the Malvinas (Falklands) than in the Southern Ocean and Antartica.

Russia is European since the dividing line is the Ural Mountains and while there is great territory in Asia its sparsely populated and often Moslem which means Russia ignores it as much as possible.
March 10th, 2016 at 10:52:49 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
That's what I was thinking too -- Pacific, Atlantic, Indian, Southern, and Arctic. I went with the closest of seven. Also, isn't there a song about something to do with the "seven seas"?

The "seven seas" is an ancient idiom appearing in writings as many as four thousand years ago, long before mankind had any idea what the world actually looked like.
It was an offshoot of the seven visible planets (Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn), the "seventh heaven" and had more to do with the magical properties of the number 7 in ancient Mesopotamia and in later cultures.

"Sea" is an ancient word, whereas "ocean" is a Latinate word, brought into English with all the other French words.

"sea" is from Old English sæ "sheet of water, sea, lake, pool," from Proto-Germanic *saiwaz.

"ocean" late 13c., from Old French occean "ocean" (12c., Modern French océan), from Latin oceanus, from Greek okeanos, the great river or sea surrounding the disk of the Earth (as opposed to the Mediterranean), of unknown origin. Personified as Oceanus, son of Uranus and Gaia and husband of Tethys. In early times, when the only known land masses were Eurasia and Africa, the ocean was an endless river that flowed around them.

To connect the modern thinking of 5 oceans with 7 seas a qualifier N/S is put in front of the Pacific and Atlantic.

Also, the concept of North and South America as two continents is very British and Germanic. The French, Italians, and Spanish usually teach that it is one continent called "The Americas".

Just out of curiosity I took the test again and tried to get every question wrong, and I got an invitation to join their facebook page, so it seems the quiz was just a lame attempt to collect names for advertising.
March 11th, 2016 at 5:42:19 AM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Damn, Paco....do you edit Wiki pages in your spare time? You're a walking encyclopedia.
Page 2 of 4<1234>