What is money anyways?

Page 4 of 11<1234567>Last »
March 22nd, 2016 at 8:54:17 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Pacomartin
Good trivia question is what four states were formed from territory that formerly belonged to other states. One of them is extremely difficult IMO.

Let me clarify the trivia question. People frequently talk about breaking up states like California, Texas and New Jersey and making them into multiple states. It is possible to do that with the agreement of the other states, but there have been only four states created out of land that once belonged to another existing state.

They were declared their own states in 1791, 1792, 1820, and 1863 (the last two were created because of slavery questions).

A different trivia question would be which single territories were used to create multiple states.
March 22nd, 2016 at 9:00:59 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Good trivia question is what four states were formed from territory that formerly belonged to other states. One of them is extremely difficult IMO.

West Virginia from Virginia is easy; Ohio also from Virginia, as is Kentucky from VA; and I'll go with Arizona from New Mexico [that last might be vice versa]
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 22nd, 2016 at 9:06:39 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346

Texas, California, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado and Utah from Mexico ;)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 22nd, 2016 at 9:07:12 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Evenbob

another trivia question might have been what this other picture of Cleveland is about, but as soon as you hit 'quote' the answer is revealed

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 22nd, 2016 at 10:58:53 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Maybe it is a harder question than I thought. People are getting one or two of the 4

North Carolina claimed Tennessee , but they ceded their claim 6 years before Tennessee statehood. So Tennessee is not one of the four answers.

The Missouri Compromise of 1820 admitted Missouri as a slave state, but to keep the balance even between slave and free states another free state had to be created.

The balance of slave and free was kept even up to 15 free and 15 slave states. The admission of California as a free state #31 convinced the confederacy that they were on a sliding scale as no new slave states would be created.

The 1863 state at the height of the civil war is probably the easiest to guess of the four states ripped from another state.

Texas maintained the right to break up into as many as 4 states when they entered the Union, and the idea has been discussed ever since.

Nareed's point is really a different issue.
March 22nd, 2016 at 1:55:48 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
...Texas maintained the right to break up into as many as 4 states when they entered the Union, and the idea has been discussed ever since...

Circling back to the original topic, Texas had their own money for a time.

West Virginia, Idaho?, the Dakotas. What about Washington D.C.? if it doesn't count as a state for this question, what is it?
March 23rd, 2016 at 7:34:18 AM permalink
Nareed
Obscure trivia:

1) Has there ever been a state or colony in the US with the word "East" as part of its official name?

2) What was its capital?

Bonus question: how come I even know this?
March 23rd, 2016 at 9:30:06 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Ayecarumba
spoiler=My Paco Trivia Guess

I gave the years on admission, and these states were much later

November 2, 1889 Dakota Territory admitted as two states
North Dakota
South Dakota

Idaho Territory admitted as one state, Idaho on July 3, 1890

Everyone got West Virginia correct, so that is one of the four.
March 23rd, 2016 at 12:03:23 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
Obscure trivia:

1) Has there ever been a state or colony in the US with the word "East" as part of its official name?

2) What was its capital?

Bonus question: how come I even know this?

That's an excellent trivia question, but since I had to look it up, I put my answer in a spoiler. I have no idea why you would know that, but you do know a lot about history.

Capital St. Augustine
March 23rd, 2016 at 12:19:48 PM permalink
Nareed
That's an excellent trivia question,

Thanks!

Quote:
but since I had to look it up, I put my answer in a spoiler.

Actually, that was not what I had in mind. I also can't make out whether it says "east" anywhere. So you may as well repost without the spoiler tags.

Quote:
I have no idea why you would know that, but you do know a lot about history.

In this case it's because I read a lot of Asimov's fiction.
Page 4 of 11<1234567>Last »