Poll
6 votes (66.66%)
2 votes (22.22%)
1 vote (11.11%)

9 members have voted

March 21st, 2016 at 2:50:30 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
The only reason I would go right now would be to get the "frozen in time" atmosphere of the place. I can no longer smoke cigars and really Cuban cigars are one of the most overrated things I have ever tried. It would have been nice to have tried out for the summer exchange program I saw in 1990 in college but when you work your way thru school that is an expensive vacation. Only 2-3 weeks IIRC working in the fields with Cubans and socializing at night.

For the most part, similar to cigars there is lots of competition nearby that is probably nicer but not as much mystique.
The President is a fink.
March 21st, 2016 at 3:15:22 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I would love to be in Cuba tomorrow
Tampa Bay Rays vs the Cuban National team
sold out 55k stadium
Go Rays
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 21st, 2016 at 3:26:24 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
That's a nice Wiki page, Paco. I think I asked about the first foreign trip by a US president in a former WoV challenge. Interesting that none had ever been in Canada before T. Roosevelt. I think it is now a tradition that Canada is the first foreign trip for a new president.

Trivia time! Who was the first president to visit all 50 states?

In answer to the question in the OP -- Cuba is definitely high on my list. I'd like to go before everybody starts going there.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 21st, 2016 at 3:40:44 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard

Without looking and as a SWAG I say Reagan. JFK, Ford, Carter terms too short. LBJ and Nixon just seem like they didn't do it. And iI am taking 50 "states" literal.
The President is a fink.
March 21st, 2016 at 4:02:32 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

A guess without looking it up
Nixon
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 21st, 2016 at 4:20:46 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89

Clinton. I seem to recall he was making a point of getting everywhere, not sure if he made it to South Dakota though.
March 21st, 2016 at 6:09:48 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
That's a nice Wiki page, Paco.

Thanks
The original version was rather crude as I was just curious who had more trips (Bush or Clinton). I spent a lot of time working on it for a while, and eventually developed the table format and the color coding. But in 7 years hundreds of people edited it.

Original version
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_international_trips_made_by_the_President_of_the_United_States&oldid=265882412

I think I asked about the first foreign trip by a US president in a former WoV challenge. Interesting that none had ever been in Canada before T. Roosevelt. I think it is now a tradition that Canada is the first foreign trip for a new president..

It was a tradition beginning with Ronald Reagan (and JFK and LBJ before. GW Bush pointedly broke tradition by going to see Presidente Fox at his ranch in Guanajato for the so called "cowboy summit". GW did go to Canada on his second trip for the Summit of the Americas. Obama promised to restore tradition and go to Canada first.

In answer to the question in the OP -- Cuba is definitely high on my list. I'd like to go before everybody starts going there.

Good for you.
March 21st, 2016 at 6:29:13 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
My sister and one of my best friends are both in Cuba right now (unrelated trips and not together). Of course Canadians have a million trips a year to Cuba.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 21st, 2016 at 11:31:22 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Paco,

That wiki page is phenomenal. Love all the interactive links and the beautiful format. What a gem.

I expect to visit Cuba within a couple of years, hopefully before it gets too commercialized.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
March 22nd, 2016 at 12:08:44 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: beachbumbabs
Paco, That wiki page is phenomenal. Love all the interactive links and the beautiful format. What a gem.

Thanks. It took dozens of revisions before other people started making changes

I had it looking like this before people started making their own changes
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_international_trips_made_by_the_President_of_the_United_States&oldid=270181483#Presidential_International_Trips_Pre-Aircraft

I put all Presidents who made international trips pre aircraft in one table (1900-1933). It made it easy to view them at once. But somebody didn't like that and they broke them up into individual sections.
Page 2 of 5<12345>