No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
3 votes (37.5%)

8 members have voted

March 24th, 2016 at 6:19:15 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 133
As you may recall, I made a challenge for my last birthday to ride a unicycle 50 miles in one day. My 51st birthday is coming up and I think I'm going to keep the challenge theme going. I'm going to change things up just a little this year. My challenge this time will be to do a "century." This is bike-riding lingo for a 100-mile ride. In particular, I will be doing the Tour of Long Beach on May 14.

I did a century before in the Simi Valley area a looooooooong time ago, in 1993 I think. This one will be mostly flat, but will have a very steep section in the hills of Irvine. According to the Strava map of the course, there will be 1,307 meters of elevation gain over the course -- almost all of which are in the Irvine part.

The question for the poll is do you think I'll be successful?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 24th, 2016 at 7:10:57 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 117
I think you will probably make it. I would bet against you if you said you were going to walk 100 miles in one go.
No one has ever proven I am not God.
March 24th, 2016 at 7:19:07 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 81
Good for you Mike! This is a real challenge. The weather could be rainy or super windy or dry and hot. I think you can do it, since you crushed the unicycle 50 last year, but what is the target for your elapsed time? This could be a fun exercise in line setting.

What kind of bike will you be using?
March 24th, 2016 at 7:29:56 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: rxwine
I think you will probably make it. I would bet against you if you said you were going to walk 100 miles in one go.

Don't be surprised if a future challenge is to do the John Muir trail, which is over 100 miles. However, I admit that it will take me at least a week.

Quote: Ayecarumba
Good for you Mike! This is a real challenge. The weather could be rainy or super windy or dry and hot. I think you can do it, since you crushed the unicycle 50 last year, but what is the target for your elapsed time? This could be a fun exercise in line setting.

Thanks! Hopefully it won't be windy, which is a distinct possibility, having lived in the area much of my life.

About the time, let me say that my goal is to finish it in a respectable time. All things considered, I'm going to set my over/under line at 9 hours.
March 24th, 2016 at 7:38:14 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 35
Quote: Ayecarumba

I think you will do it
Also curious about the bike.
I ride but not as serious as you.
Lets see a picture
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 24th, 2016 at 8:11:12 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: terapined
I think you will do it
Also curious about the bike.
I ride but not as serious as you.
Lets see a picture

I'll be using a nice Scott carbon fiber bike. Probably one of their lower end models, but I like it. I don't have a picture of mine at hand, but here is a similar one from their web site.

March 24th, 2016 at 9:06:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 106
Ride 51 miles and eat 51 nuggets right after.
That's a real challenge for a 51 year old.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 25th, 2016 at 7:47:46 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 18
Quote: Evenbob
Ride 51 miles and eat 51 nuggets right after.
That's a real challenge for a 51 year old.

I would reverse the order. Eat 51 nuggets and then try to ride the 51 miles with all that grease and fat in your stomach.
March 25th, 2016 at 9:22:56 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 81
Quote: Wizard
About the time, let me say that my goal is to finish it in a respectable time. All things considered, I'm going to set my over/under line at 9 hours.

Is there a meal break or two built into the ride, or is it a non-stop race to the finish? I note on the website that there are family fun ride and other medium distance options that conclude at a "fair".

When I watched the Tour de France, each team had a support car following them. Will you have similar?

I don't want to influence your performance, so please do not look a my prediction until after the event. If there are no breaks scheduled, I think a fair line would be:
7:45
March 25th, 2016 at 11:00:55 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 35
Quote: Wizard
I'll be using a nice Scott carbon fiber bike. Probably one of their lower end models, but I like it. I don't have a picture of mine at hand, but here is a similar one from their web site.

Real nice bike
light
I prefer straight handle bars rather then curved downward
I ride for fun and a little more comfortable upright rather then bent over uncomfortable for less wind resistance
Have also become a fan of disc brakes
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
Page 1 of 51234>Last »