No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
3 votes (37.5%)

8 members have voted

March 24th, 2016 at 6:19:15 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
As you may recall, I made a challenge for my last birthday to ride a unicycle 50 miles in one day. My 51st birthday is coming up and I think I'm going to keep the challenge theme going. I'm going to change things up just a little this year. My challenge this time will be to do a "century." This is bike-riding lingo for a 100-mile ride. In particular, I will be doing the Tour of Long Beach on May 14.

I did a century before in the Simi Valley area a looooooooong time ago, in 1993 I think. This one will be mostly flat, but will have a very steep section in the hills of Irvine. According to the Strava map of the course, there will be 1,307 meters of elevation gain over the course -- almost all of which are in the Irvine part.

The question for the poll is do you think I'll be successful?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 24th, 2016 at 7:10:57 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
I think you will probably make it. I would bet against you if you said you were going to walk 100 miles in one go.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 24th, 2016 at 7:19:07 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Good for you Mike! This is a real challenge. The weather could be rainy or super windy or dry and hot. I think you can do it, since you crushed the unicycle 50 last year, but what is the target for your elapsed time? This could be a fun exercise in line setting.

What kind of bike will you be using?
March 24th, 2016 at 7:29:56 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: rxwine
I think you will probably make it. I would bet against you if you said you were going to walk 100 miles in one go.

Don't be surprised if a future challenge is to do the John Muir trail, which is over 100 miles. However, I admit that it will take me at least a week.

Quote: Ayecarumba
Good for you Mike! This is a real challenge. The weather could be rainy or super windy or dry and hot. I think you can do it, since you crushed the unicycle 50 last year, but what is the target for your elapsed time? This could be a fun exercise in line setting.

Thanks! Hopefully it won't be windy, which is a distinct possibility, having lived in the area much of my life.

About the time, let me say that my goal is to finish it in a respectable time. All things considered, I'm going to set my over/under line at 9 hours.
March 24th, 2016 at 7:38:14 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Ayecarumba

I think you will do it
Also curious about the bike.
I ride but not as serious as you.
Lets see a picture
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 24th, 2016 at 8:11:12 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: terapined
I think you will do it
Also curious about the bike.
I ride but not as serious as you.
Lets see a picture

I'll be using a nice Scott carbon fiber bike. Probably one of their lower end models, but I like it. I don't have a picture of mine at hand, but here is a similar one from their web site.

March 24th, 2016 at 9:06:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Ride 51 miles and eat 51 nuggets right after.
That's a real challenge for a 51 year old.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 25th, 2016 at 7:47:46 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Evenbob
Ride 51 miles and eat 51 nuggets right after.
That's a real challenge for a 51 year old.

I would reverse the order. Eat 51 nuggets and then try to ride the 51 miles with all that grease and fat in your stomach.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 25th, 2016 at 9:22:56 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Wizard
About the time, let me say that my goal is to finish it in a respectable time. All things considered, I'm going to set my over/under line at 9 hours.

Is there a meal break or two built into the ride, or is it a non-stop race to the finish? I note on the website that there are family fun ride and other medium distance options that conclude at a "fair".

When I watched the Tour de France, each team had a support car following them. Will you have similar?

I don't want to influence your performance, so please do not look a my prediction until after the event. If there are no breaks scheduled, I think a fair line would be:
7:45
March 25th, 2016 at 11:00:55 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Wizard
I'll be using a nice Scott carbon fiber bike. Probably one of their lower end models, but I like it. I don't have a picture of mine at hand, but here is a similar one from their web site.

Real nice bike
light
I prefer straight handle bars rather then curved downward
I ride for fun and a little more comfortable upright rather then bent over uncomfortable for less wind resistance
Have also become a fan of disc brakes
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
Page 1 of 51234>Last »