No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
3 votes (37.5%)

8 members have voted

May 4th, 2016 at 6:28:01 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
If anyone is interested in this, send me a PM here or on the WoV forum, and we'll see if we can all agree on some terms. Weather could be a factor...
May 10th, 2016 at 4:28:11 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
The weather forecast is looking good.

If anyone else is interested in the contest, send me a PM. The interest list will close tomorrow at noon, then we can negotiate terms.
May 10th, 2016 at 4:49:09 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
My over/under should move up. I had an awful stomach bug Saturday night and am still getting over that. Between still recovering from that and the recent heat in Vegas, I don't see any big rides this week to prepare. I did an 85-mile ride about three weeks ago, but nothing really big since then. I think just one 55-mile ride.

I'm still confident I'll complete the 100 miles, but my time may be less than impressive.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 10th, 2016 at 5:40:22 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: Wizard
My over/under should move up. I had an awful stomach bug Saturday night and am still getting over that. Between still recovering from that and the recent heat in Vegas, I don't see any big rides this week to prepare. I did an 85-mile ride about three weeks ago, but nothing really big since then. I think just one 55-mile ride.

I'm still confident I'll complete the 100 miles, but my time may be less than impressive.

Stomach bugs and your birthday seem to run close together. Have you been eating at sketchy central american taco stands again?
May 10th, 2016 at 7:26:21 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Ayecarumba
Stomach bugs and your birthday seem to run close together. Have you been eating at sketchy central american taco stands again?

My compliments on your good memory! No, events leading up to a very explosive Saturday night in the bathroom were pretty boring. No exotic food at all. It must some fluke thing I touched with germs on it and then I touched my nose or mouth.
May 10th, 2016 at 8:47:02 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
No, events leading up to a very explosive Saturday night in the bathroom were pretty boring. No exotic food at all. .

It's either undercooked chicken, or unwashed fruit or
veggies, or something with bad bacteria in it. I knew
a guy who was a county food inspector years ago. He
flat out refused to eat restaurant food. He'd seen too much,
he didn't trust even the high end ones. He said salad
bars are the worst, buffets are next. But all of it has way
more potential for food poisoning than anything you
make at home. I did get salmonella once at home, I
undercooked a frozen chicken. Never again, you think
you're dying.

Did you see Bridesmaids? There's a funny scene where
half a dozen women get food poisoning, it's hilarious.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 11th, 2016 at 6:12:34 AM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Don't be surprised if a future challenge is to do the John Muir trail, which is over 100 miles. However, I admit that it will take me at least a week.

What a great idea! I'm hiking half dome in August and when looking at a few maps of it recently I happened to scroll around looking at where the John Muir Trail ends up. It's a decent hike alright. Not sure if it would be a positive or negative for you but it's actually just over 200miles. Looks like a great challenge though.
May 11th, 2016 at 6:43:47 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Aussie
What a great idea! I'm hiking half dome in August and when looking at a few maps of it recently I happened to scroll around looking at where the John Muir Trail ends up. It's a decent hike alright. Not sure if it would be a positive or negative for you but it's actually just over 200miles. Looks like a great challenge though.

I hope you have your permit. I desperately wanted to do that when I went to Yosemite last summer, but was rebuffed because I couldn't get a coveted permit. I'm still mad at myself over it.

Okay, I did my final training ride today. With the big day three days off, I didn't want to push too hard. I saved all my rides into my Garmin bike GPS. Here is a summary:

Date Miles Avg. Speed (MPH) Ascent (feet)
5/11/2016 60.1 13.7 3,297
5/3/2016 55.5 14.0 3,123
4/19/2016 84.6 13.6 4,583
4/12/2016 53.5 14.3 3,149
3/27/2016 80.3 14.3 4,088
3/19/2016 69.5 13.5 3,674
3/10/2016 60.3 13.8 3,133
3/5/2016 54.0 11.6 2,933
Total 517.8 13.6 27,980

The average speed does not factor in breaks. The GPS automatically pauses when I'm not moving for more than a second or so.
May 11th, 2016 at 6:57:27 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
I hope you have your permit. I desperately wanted to do that when I went to Yosemite last summer, but was rebuffed because I couldn't get a coveted permit. I'm still mad at myself over it.

Yep permit secured in the lottery last month so all sorted there. Have accomodation in half dome village (the old curry village) as well. I originally wanted to camp but coming from Australia I realised that having to carry a tent and other camping equipment was going to be too much of an inconvenience.

Regarding the permits, It's so cheap to apply and then confirm your permit if you get one that I would recommend entering the lottery each March even if you think there is only a small chance you will do the hike. Just select a number of preferred dates that you think would suit and go from there. You can cancel the permit anyway so would not be denying anyone else an opportunity if you ended up not doing it.
May 11th, 2016 at 7:24:49 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Aussie
Yep permit secured in the lottery last month so all sorted there. Have accomodation in half dome village (the old curry village) as well. I originally wanted to camp but coming from Australia I realised that having to carry a tent and other camping equipment was going to be too much of an inconvenience.

It is will be a long time for me to accept the new name. For me, it will always be Curry Village. They really changed the name of the Ahwahnee too. Lawyers. For what it's worth, I thought the company that used to run all the concessions did a pretty lousy job, with long lines for everything. Seeing them go is worth it.

You'll still have a good time in the former Curry Village. I wouldn't have wanted to lug a bunch of camping gear either. You made the right call.

Quote:
Regarding the permits, It's so cheap to apply and then confirm your permit if you get one that I would recommend entering the lottery each March even if you think there is only a small chance you will do the hike. Just select a number of preferred dates that you think would suit and go from there. You can cancel the permit anyway so would not be denying anyone else an opportunity if you ended up not doing it.

Frankly, I get angry when I read that. In my opinion they should simply charge more, to give the people who really want to go a better chance at getting a permit. More money for Yosemite too. Same thing with the campground reservations. Don't even get me started on that. They are pretty much controlled by a black market that buys up most of the sites as soon as the lottery opens.
Page 3 of 5<12345>