No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
3 votes (37.5%)

8 members have voted

May 15th, 2016 at 3:38:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 111
No video?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 16th, 2016 at 9:08:10 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 85
Quote: Wizard
Thank you!

Here is my Strava entry for the ride.

Key statistics:

Distance: 102.33 miles
Average (moving) speed: 14.5 MPH
Calories burned: 5,574
Moving time: 7:00:11
Total elapsed time: 7:59:25
Elevation gain: 3,226
Temperature range: 57.2 - 82.4 (average of 65.6)

Really nice weather for the ride. Couldn't have asked for much better. Cloudy and cool for the first six hours of it and then the sun finally burned off the marine layer.

The ride itself was smaller than I had envisioned. In the 100-mile group there were about 200 riders. Lots of middle-aged men like me. There seemed to be few solo riders but many were riding as part of a group. While this may make it more fun, a downside in riding in groups is that if one person has a mechanical problem or flat tire, everybody has to stop. Plus, you have to go at the slowest persons pace. Overall, I'd say it was 75% men and the average age about 45. I guess I'm not the only man going through a mid-life crisis by immersing myself in exercise.

I'd like to give the organizers due credit for an efficient check-in, many and well-staffed and -stocked rest stations (there were eight of them on the 100-mile course), and a festive finish line (with lots of people selling micro-brews and live music).

My biggest complaint was a poorly marked route. Granted, there were a lot of turns (click here for the route directions). I'll concede that about 90% were properly marked with signs. However, making a wrong turn at one of the other 10% can lead to over-riding and getting lost. Fortunately, through luck and just following others, I managed to never get off-route, but did have to stop at some intersections and wait to confer with other riders where to to. I did hear complaints of getting lost from other riders.

So, that is another thing to cross off my bucket list. Time to think about my next challenge.

Congratulations Mike! I am surprised to learn that the ride was actually more than 100 miles. I think if it was only 100, I would have won the prediction contest. Pending confirmation, the winning prediction was only 11 minutes off your actual time.
May 16th, 2016 at 2:26:32 PM permalink
jml24
Threads: 0
Yup there are a lot of MAMILs on these rides (Middle Aged Men In Lycra.)

I am not surprised by the lack of a clock. Traditionally in cycling a century ride is not a race. Of course some riders are trying for a fast time but it's a little different than running where most organized events are races and assign everyone a time. A lot of riders are just doing it for the experience.
May 16th, 2016 at 3:40:23 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 163
Quote: Ayecarumba
I am surprised to learn that the ride was actually more than 100 miles. I think if it was only 100, I would have won the prediction contest. Pending confirmation, the winning prediction was only 11 minutes off your actual time.

Me too. I had no idea until half way through the event it was over 100. What I don't get is they made us do two laps around El Dorado Park (which is where I learned to ride a bike). I think it would have still been over 100 without that extra lap.

I hate to potentially start an argument, but by linear interpolation I figure I passed the 100-mile point in 7:48:30.

Quote: jml24
Yup there are a lot of MAMILs on these rides (Middle Aged Men In Lycra.)

Yeah. I don't think I'll be posting any pictures. Normally I wear comfortably fitting clothing over bike shorts but I wanted to give myself every advantage on the big day. Hopefully nobody cared because I was surrounded by so many other MAMILs all day. I don't know what it is about lyrca-spandex but women look great in it and men just look hideous.

Quote:
I am not surprised by the lack of a clock. Traditionally in cycling a century ride is not a race. Of course some riders are trying for a fast time but it's a little different than running where most organized events are races and assign everyone a time. A lot of riders are just doing it for the experience.

I think it would be unsafe to put too much emphasis on time because then riders would start running red lights and generally riding in an unsafe manner.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 16th, 2016 at 5:40:13 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 85
...I hate to potentially start an argument, but by linear interpolation I figure I passed the 100-mile point in 7:48:30...

Arrrggg.... I would have killed it. hehe

Amongst the 200 who did the big ride, where do you think you finished? Was it windy in the second half?

I think for 52, the Ironman in Hawaii would be a worthy goal.
May 16th, 2016 at 5:46:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 111
I don't understand participating in events like this.
We had the annual huge marathon here this weekend.
It was 42, raining, and windy. Yet 1500 people showed up.
I don't get it. I'm just not a crowd person, it's why I
don't go to sporting events. I don't even go to movies
anymore. I'm an extreme individualist and go out of
my way to do things the way I want to do them. People
watching bores me to death, I'd rather be on a deserted
beach by myself.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 16th, 2016 at 10:11:03 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Nice riding, Mr Wizard!
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
May 17th, 2016 at 1:35:32 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 753
I guess I'm not the only man going through a mid-life crisis by immersing myself in exercise.

Congratulations Mike. There are certainly much more destructive ways to work your way through mid-life.
Page 5 of 5« First<2345