President Obama foreign travel very different from Bush

April 11th, 2018 at 11:29:28 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
I completely agree with Paco on this Nareed. You have made some of the best and most creative posts on this forum. You going down to Trump's level with the stamping your feet and name calling just brings down the image of you as intelligent and thoughtful person.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
April 11th, 2018 at 12:55:55 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: kenarman
I completely agree with Paco on this Nareed. You have made some of the best and most creative posts on this forum. You going down to Trump's level with the stamping your feet and name calling just brings down the image of you as intelligent and thoughtful person.

In a world where the President can be called chaotic, corrupt, incurious, infantile, and grandiose in the NY Times, it does seem simplistic to call out someone for calling President Trump a name.

I for one think that for Trump to visit Lima and Bogota would give him a rare chance to look outside of his shell. I assume he has been to Panama, given the size of the complex bearing his name in that city, but I don't think he has ever traveled to Latin America.

I see that Trump's name is being removed from the sign on the complex in Panama City, while the majority owned played a Greek anti-fascist tune on the piano.

Quote: January 15, 2018 New Yorker: The Increasing Unfitness of Donald Trump

The West Wing has come to resemble the dankest realms of Twitter, in which everyone is racked with paranoia and everyone despises everyone else.

What made the Emperor Nero tick, Suetonius writes in “Lives of the Caesars,” was “a longing for immortality and undying fame, though it was ill-regulated.” Many Romans were convinced that Nero was mentally unbalanced and that he had burned much of the imperial capital to the ground just to make room for the construction of the Domus Aurea, a gold-leaf-and-marble palace that stretched from the Palatine to the Esquiline Hill. At enormous venues around the city, he is said to have sung, danced, and played the water organ for many hours—but not before ordering the gates locked to insure that the house would remain full until after the final encore. Driven half mad by Nero’s antics, Romans feigned death or shimmied over the walls with ropes to escape.

Chaotic, corrupt, incurious, infantile, grandiose, and obsessed with gaudy real estate, Donald Trump is of a Neronic temperament. He has always craved attention. Now the whole world is his audience. In earlier times, Trump cultivated, among others, the proprietors and editors of the New York tabloids, Fox News, TMZ, and the National Enquirer. Now Twitter is his principal outlet, with no mediation necessary.
April 11th, 2018 at 1:10:37 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
In a world where the President can be called chaotic, corrupt, incurious, infantile, and grandiose in the NY Times, it does seem simplistic to call out someone for calling President Trump a name.

Well, in my estimation 99.9% of politicians are lower than slime mold.

Trump makes slime molds seem as glorious as Zeus.

Quote:
I for one think that for Trump to visit Lima and Bogota would give him a rare chance to look outside of his shell.

And risk being booed and having his outsize Orange ego damaged? Why do you hate America?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 11th, 2018 at 1:27:23 PM permalink
Nareed
Take this, for instance:

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/trump-weighs-options-in-syria-while-his-twitter-taunting-foolishly-risks-escalation/

And ask yourself whether these are the actions of a person worthy of any respect.

All because he fears being booed, and wants to take the Cohen scandal off the news cycle. Your life is nothing compared to such lofty goals, yes?
April 17th, 2018 at 10:11:46 PM permalink
Pacomartin

With President Trump dodging flying to Lima Peru to deal with angry citizens, his next trip will probably be to Canada in June for the G7 in a remote location about 7 hour drive from Ottawa.

The question is, if a hotel has seven suites, for a G7 meeting, then who gets the Presidential Suite?

Everywhere Trump Traveled Before Air Force One for six year period August 2010 to November 2016
Not a lot of exotic trips.
April 18th, 2018 at 10:39:22 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Why the hell would Trump go to Leredo?

Edit: Ah, the time period is pre Airforce1, but includes the campaign. That explains it. Border photo opp.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
April 18th, 2018 at 2:49:28 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: JimRockford
That explains it. Border photo opp.

His pre-campaign flights do not include the Border. As a matter of fact he seems to go primarily where he owns the resort, or if he is pursuing a business venture. There does not seem to be any flights to places to indulge intellectual interests.

The longest flight on their seems to be NYC to Dubrovnik Croatia (3920 nm) which is about the limit of the aircraft. The B757 must stop in UK or Ireland to refuel in order to fly to the Middle East.

757-200
Max. takeoff weight: 255,000 lb
Range 3,915nmi

Normal businessmen would not spend $100 million on an old B757 as they can get a business aircraft that can fly much further for a lot less money.

President Winfrey is the owner of a Gulfstream G650 private jet with registration N-540W. The jet was built in 2015 and delivered to Winfrey in 2016.
Capacity: 11–18 passengers
Payload: 6,500 lb
Max. takeoff weight: 99,600 lb
Range: 7,000 nautical miles

Winfrey's plane can easily fly from NYC to Tokyo
April 19th, 2018 at 12:32:12 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

I'm not a big Trump fan, but simple courtesy means you should minimize direct name calling of heads of state (past or present). I have a difficult time believing that Carlos Salinas is not guilty of taking large amounts of money during his Presidency, as both his brothers were in serious trouble with the law. But I do not refer to him as a thief.

Why not save the respect for people who you think deserve it? How can respect be worth anything when you use it when you think you probably shouldn't?

Common courtesy, imo, is for people you don't otherwise know anything about, because you give someone the benefit of the doubt when you know nothing about them.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 20th, 2018 at 6:56:46 PM permalink
Pacomartin
The British Royal family frequently flies to Belfast from London (280 nm)

Now I imagine the royal helicopter is a pain to fly 280 nm as it probably takes over 2 hours each direction. So they normally charter a plane to do the flight. In particular Prince Charles takes home prizes from all over the world for his environmental protection stand.

But I think that if you are a good environmental steward you could at least charter a turboprop to fly 280 nm. Why would you spend upwards of $50,000 on a luxury fuel sucking jet. It's not like you are in real danger of a dogfight. I don't expect him to fly commercial, but I don't see why he can be happy with flying at 300 knots.

Charter flight to Belfast 2010-2011
£ 18,078 The Prince of Wales 12-14 May | NHT - Belfast - NHT
£ 20,714 The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh 21-22 Octv NHT - Belfast - NHT
£ 12,441 The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall 4 Feb| NHT - Belfast City - LYN
£ 10,530 Prince William 8 Mar | NHT - Belfast - NHT

Charter flight to Belfast 2016-2017
£ 21,147 The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh 27-28 Jun | NHT - Belfast, Derry - NHT
£ 34,388 The Prince of Wales 23-25 May | RAF Brize Norton - Belfast City - Londonderry - Brize Norton

Prince William and Katherine only spend slightly more to fly to India two weeks later than Charles spends for a charter jet to Belfast.
£ 35,372 The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Scheduled Flight (9-17 April) LHR - Mumbai, Delhi - LHR

Quote: rxwine
Common courtesy, imo, is for people you don't otherwise know anything about, because you give someone the benefit of the doubt when you know nothing about them.

A good friend of mine also called President Trump a "coward" when he cancelled the Lima trip. The exact same insult that Nareed used.

While I am critical of Prince Charles for spending that kind of money and carbon footprint to fly 280 nm over his own kingdom, I generally don't call him a hypocrite or worse names out of respect for Brits. If they want to call him names, that is their business.
April 21st, 2018 at 6:02:44 AM permalink
Nareed
While I am critical of Prince Charles for spending that kind of money and carbon footprint to fly 280 nm over his own kingdom, I generally don't call him a hypocrite or worse names out of respect for Brits.

Well, he is a hypocrite, who probably even buys indulgences. That neither says nor implies anything about any other Briton past or present.