same god?

Page 1 of 3123>
March 26th, 2016 at 2:20:28 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Dr Larycia Hawkins was suspended without pay from Evangelical Wheaton College for " her recently expressed views, including that Muslims and Christians worship the same God", which appear to be in conflict with the College’s Statement of Faith.

Pope Francis washes the feet of Muslim migrants, says we are "children of the same God".

One could easily argue that the Pope was making a statement of fact, and his comment does not imply that Muslims and Christians worship the same God.

NOTE: If you are unfamiliar with the pope washing feet of someone, it is a traditional Easter ritual based on John 13:1-17 where Jesus washes his disciples' feet as a show of humility. The pope traditionally washed the feet of seminary students who were probably chosen based on hygiene. This pope has stretched this ritual to washing the feet of all sorts of people.
March 26th, 2016 at 5:33:57 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Does it really matter if one group of delusional people believe in the same imaginary deity as another such group?

It's like arguing what Captain Kirk really looks like. He's a fictional character in a visual medium. He looks like the actor who plays him.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 26th, 2016 at 5:43:57 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I'm guessing all are told to show up with clean feet
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 26th, 2016 at 7:29:51 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Same imaginary god (lower case g because I am an atheist)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 26th, 2016 at 9:25:16 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
That very question is one of the most touchy that divides liberal from conservative Christians. I find the liberal ones to be much more likeable. However, I think a literal reading of the bible is on the conservative's side.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 26th, 2016 at 10:19:53 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Wizard
That very question is one of the most touchy that divides liberal from conservative Christians.

The pope is hardly liberal.

TEN COMMANDMENTS OPENING
I am Yahweh your God, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
You shall have no other gods before me.
You shall not make for yourselves an idol, nor any image of anything that is in the heavens above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: you shall not bow yourself down to them, nor serve them, for I, Yahweh your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and on the fourth generation of those who hate me, and showing loving kindness to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.
— Exodus 20:2-6 (WEB)
The conventional "the LORD" in English translations renders יהוה in the Hebrew text (transliterated "YHWH"), the proper name of the God of Israel, reconstructed as Yahweh. The translation "God" renders אֱלֹהִים (transliterated "Elohim"), the normal biblical Hebrew word for "god, deity".

Establishing his identity through the use of the proper name, Yahweh, and his mighty acts in history distinguishes Yahweh from the gods of Egypt which were judged in the killing of Egypt's firstborn (Exodus 12) and from the gods of Canaan, the gods of the gentile nations, and the gods that are worshipped as idols, starry hosts, or things found in nature, and the gods known by other proper names. So distinguished, Yahweh demands exclusive allegiance from the Israelites.
“I am the LORD your God” occurs a number of other times in the Bible also.

I think that when the pope said "We are Children of the same God" he meant Yahweh created everyone, but not necessarily that when you worship Allah you also worship Yahweh. We need a priest to weigh in.
March 26th, 2016 at 10:27:01 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
The pope is hardly liberal.

Water is hardly dry :)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 26th, 2016 at 10:57:15 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67

I think that when the pope said "We are Children of the same God" he meant Yahweh created everyone, but not necessarily that when you worship Allah you also worship Yahweh. We need a priest to weigh in.

I would agree with what Paco writes above as my preferred interpretation. It might also be acceptable to think that if a Muslim says they believe in the same God as Christians they are referring to YHWH, "The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob". However, there obviously are very different conceptions of who this God actually is through the person of Jesus Christ. I do remember John Paul II praying with a stadium full of Muslim youth once and referring to God as Allah, which is no big deal because it is simply the Arabic word for God.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
March 26th, 2016 at 11:12:35 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: FrGamble
I do remember John Paul II praying with a stadium full of Muslim youth once and referring to God as Allah, which is no big deal because it is simply the Arabic word for God.

That is interesting. I found this quote.

Rome declared in its 1994 Catechism of the Catholic Church (paragraph 841) that Muslims are included within God’s plan of salvation because they 'acknowledge the Creator,...profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with [Christians]...adore the one merciful God [Muslims and Christians hardly 'adore' the same 'one merciful God'].'

In his weekly general audience in late May of 1999, Pope John Paul II addressed Muslims in a series discussing "interreligious dialog." He quotes from the 1994 Catechism of the Catholic Church, (paragraph 841) which states, "... together with us they (Muslims) adore the one, merciful, God."

There are hundreds of references to this (paragraph 841) on the internet, but most of them are attacks by Protestants against the Catholic church for making this statement.
March 26th, 2016 at 11:18:42 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
NOTE: If you are unfamiliar with the pope washing feet of someone, it is a traditional Easter ritual based on John 13:1-17 where Jesus washes his disciples' feet as a show of humility. The pope traditionally washed the feet of seminary students who were probably chosen based on hygiene. This pope has stretched this ritual to washing the feet of all sorts of people.
Who is supposed to be humiliated, the Pope or the disciples?

Down here at WM a pedicure can be had for twenty bucks. Who should be ashamed, the person who can't reach their feet or the person earning a living? The pope is doing this because it makes him feel better, not for the disciples.

The guy in the pic if he is Muslim, shouldn't be sporting a tat? http://www.muslimconverts.com/cosmetics/tattoos.htm Same for the guy next in line wearing flops.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
Page 1 of 3123>