Stay at home vacation...

Page 1 of 212>
March 28th, 2016 at 8:13:36 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
For the first time since 2011, I'm unable to go on vacation. I'm still taking the time off, naturally. I mean, I won't get paid more if I don't take it, nor would I be given extra time next year.

The reason is the poor exchange rate between the dollar and peso. It's just too damn high right now. It was borderline high last year. So going to Vegas is just too expensive, even if I went a shorter time. I'd rather save that money and use it next year if rates change.

Could I go somewhere else? Sure. But why would I want to? Domestically there are three basic destinations: ancient ruins, beaches, and colonial (ie historical) spots. I don't care for beaches. There are several Aztec, Olmec and assorted other sites within a few hour's drive (and I've been to them all). And I don't care at all for Mexican history (the parts that aren't depressing are made up), plus I've been to most of those places already.

So again, I'm better off saving my money.

Instead here's what I'll do:

1) Work out regularly. Between longer hours at work and flu/cold season, plus the wave of injuries and disease that plagued our department from December onwards, I've pretty much been unable to even walk to the bank on weekdays, much less exercise regularly. It will be good to dedicate two and a half weeks to that and get in half-decent shape for more exercise later on.

2) Write. See above. Even on a three-day weekend, I'm too mentally exhausted to write. Oh, I can think of what to write, but when I set it down on "paper" it comes off awful. A couple of days with good rest and enough sleep will do wonders. I plan to finish the short story I started last year, plus at least two more. Even better, I want to revise the first chapter of a novel and add a second one.

3) Check out online courses. Learning history and science through podcasts and audio books is fine, but there are things available I lack the time for. I really need to earn some things about Word, for example (I get murderously mad when I have to handle tables). There are several online courses available, many with free extended trials.

4) Sleep. This ends up being a major goal in all my vacations. My regular work hours are from 8 am to 7 pm. But leaving at 7:45 or 8:30 pm is rather common. Staying til 9 or 10 pm is rather frequent. This gives me at best 7 hours sleep, sometimes less. Achieving a regular cycle of 8 hours sleep per night is rather invigorating.

5) Daily cooking. This is something I rarely get to do for more than a few days at a time. Solid weeks will be fun! And I get to test my ingenuity in coming up with different dishes every day.

Maybe I'll do some local sightseeing, but I doubt it. I know all the museums worth visiting already (I live here, remember?) So there's not much I want to look at. Also I want to keep driving to a minimum.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 28th, 2016 at 10:56:28 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Nareed

5) Daily cooking. This is something I rarely get to do for more than a few days at a time..

I cook every day from scratch. Between 7-8pm.
It's the only thing I really look forward to and
plan out. Yesterday I had pan fried chicken breasts
stuffed with spinach and cream cheese:

I have half the stuffing left so it's stuffed
hamburgers tonight sauteed in butter,
topped with carmelized fried onions.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 28th, 2016 at 11:06:06 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Surely there must be some part of Mexico you haven't seen yet. Aren't the butterflies still in Michoacan?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 28th, 2016 at 11:29:35 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Wizard
Surely there must be some part of Mexico you haven't seen yet.

There are several parts. If I were religious I'd thank the one true god Athena for it ;)

I wouldn't mind seeing the Maya ruins in the southeast, but: 1) travel there tends to be expensive due to the prevalence of high-end(ish) resorts, and 2) despite my interest in history, there's little to be learned by the untrained layperson from the actual remains of any civilization.

I've seen the ruins nearby several times. Not for years, but it's unlikely they've changed much in that time <w>. If I feel restless enough, I might drive to Tula one day. It's under 90 minutes.
March 28th, 2016 at 12:21:35 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
You could vacation at a health spa where they give massages and put hot rocks on your skin. (and whatever they do there.)

Got to be something nearby.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 28th, 2016 at 12:27:19 PM permalink
rxwine
Also, what about a 2 day weekend cruise ship? You can write while you lounge.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 28th, 2016 at 12:53:09 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: rxwine
Also, what about a 2 day weekend cruise ship? You can write while you lounge.

Not a bad notion. But I can lounge, and write, for free at home :)
March 28th, 2016 at 1:19:31 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Living in Las Vegas I can't even imagine having a two week vacation and staying home. If I didn't get out of town I would end up drinking and gambling everyday and that would end up costing more than a planned vacation.

I am thinking about trying a weekend camping. First of all, I don't camp, I have no camping gear, and I think staying at a Holiday Inn is roughing it. But I am really trying to find something different to do that is inexpensive and adventurous.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 28th, 2016 at 1:44:24 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: DRich
I am thinking about trying a weekend camping. First of all, I don't camp, I have no camping gear, and I think staying at a Holiday Inn is roughing it. But I am really trying to find something different to do that is inexpensive and adventurous.

Oh inexpensive...don't know about that.

I've been trying to convince someone to sign up for the only official camping area in the bottom of the Grand Canyon. (that has a lodge)

But you also have to get on a waiting list of up to a year.
March 28th, 2016 at 1:50:15 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Nareed
Not a bad notion. But I can lounge, and write, for free at home :)
Have you considered being a tour guide? With your mastery of english, I would think your knowledge of the area would be in demand? Get paid to go back and visit the ruins and museums.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
Page 1 of 212>