Famous acress when she was young

March 29th, 2016 at 4:23:19 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

She had her big hit when she was age 16, and a famous campy performance at age 21, but people remembered her for these performances all of her life. RIP at age 69!
March 29th, 2016 at 4:28:01 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin

She had her big hit when she was age 16, and a famous campy performance at age 21, but people remembered her for these performances all of her life. RIP at age 69!

In high school our reader book had a pic of her from "The Miracle Worker" which at the time was already before our time. I thought it was because our books were way old. So last year I casually mention to my sister-in-law who was covering it with her students. She said the new books have the same pics now. Even as an adult I guess I never realized how big that performance was. I just remembered her from a couple 1980s sitcoms that never made it.
The President is a fink.
March 29th, 2016 at 7:56:29 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Okay guys..... I'll go to gooogle or something and find out who this is, but I think the least you could do is post her name rather than just her photo in a costume.

ON EDIT: Okay, I googled it.... Patty Duke. Portrayed a teen aged Helen Keller who probably would have been a millionaire if the disability laws we have now existed then. Also had some syrupy tv sitcom show later on. A role in Valley of the Dolls, perhaps, not sure.

All actresses 'were somebody when they were young'.... its a field that favors the young. Roles dry up as women age.... staring roles particularly become few and far between. Even Helen Mirren fears unemployment.
March 30th, 2016 at 12:00:40 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Fleastiff
Okay guys..... I'll go to gooogle or something and find out who this is, but I think the least you could do is post her name rather than just her photo in a costume.

Sometimes I wonder how many of the iconic black and white scenes in film people remember.

March 30th, 2016 at 4:34:03 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Pacomartin
Sometimes I wonder how many of the iconic black and white scenes in film people remember.
I don't even know if one is supposed to remember scenes from films... aren't all Oaters the same? Maybe it was a trend that started in the sixties... when films started focusing on Catholics, Jews, Cripples, Alcoholics, Druggies and the like and TV started to depict White women as using the toilet or depicting Blacks in staring roles instead of Steping Fetchets with a natural sense of rythm. It was a continuation of the focus of the Warner Brothers in the late thirties and early forties when "American" films started focusing on China, Jaypan or European troubles instead of being mere entertainment.
March 30th, 2016 at 7:51:00 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
"sepsis from a ruptured intestine" ... there must be several ways this can happen, I'd be suspecting untreated tumor or diverticulitis. But I wonder how often nothing can be done to avert death. Perhaps she collapsed and no one knew for a period. We may never know.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 30th, 2016 at 9:42:45 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
I'll go out on a limb and say that her performance as Helen Keller led directly to the ADA and advancements in funding and research for deaf and blind remediation and alternatives. So she changed the world for the better. It might've been just another movie if she hadn't made that audience connection that brought true empathy and insight to millions about the isolation of sensory deprivation. She transcended the fact that it was Patty Duke PLAYING Helen Keller and became Helen in a way that really reached people, made THEM see things differently. Not many people have done that.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
March 30th, 2016 at 10:29:42 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Well, now you should all remember that it is Fleastiff's "persona" that supposedly helps two blind people half way across a road.

In truth, I used to walk past both the NY Assn for the blind and the Jewish assn. for the blind. Guiding them in the right direction was usually easy but once I came across a young girl panicking because she could not find a door knob since there was a glass window and then a door. I calmed her but didn't say anything but there is a door handle there and you will find it shortly. There are just too many similar doors in NYC and opening it for her would have counterproductive.

One actor in Oater, Bad Day at Black Rock, took lessons and walked around for weeks with his hand tied so he could play the role of a crippled ex-soldier.