The End of Sex and the Future of Human Reproduction

Page 1 of 51234>Last »
March 30th, 2016 at 2:18:00 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674728967

Quote: About This Book

Within twenty, maybe forty, years most people in developed countries will stop having sex for the purpose of reproduction. Instead, prospective parents will be told as much as they wish to know about the genetic makeup of dozens of embryos, and they will pick one or two for implantation, gestation, and birth. And it will be safe, lawful, and free. In this work of prophetic scholarship, Henry T. Greely explains the revolutionary biological technologies that make this future a seeming inevitability and sets out the deep ethical and legal challenges humanity faces as a result.

Developments in genetics and stem cell research are giving rise to new techniques that will vastly improve preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD) and in vitro fertilization (IVF), making sexless reproduction not just possible but cheap and easy—what Greely coins “easy PGD.” The first child born using PGD is now 25 years old, and thousands more are born each year. Advanced by economic, social, legal, and political forces, the emerging science has made the concerns that were once the stuff of science fiction into real problems that our children and grandchildren will face routinely.

Deeply informed by Greely’s command of both science and law, The End of Sex and the Future of Human Reproduction is a book for parents, citizens, and all those, born and unborn, who will face the consequences of a new era of human reproduction.

#12 Looks just like you

I posted this article under 'religion' because I think we could have the makings of a religious war if this author is correct.
March 30th, 2016 at 2:53:00 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin
http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674728967

I saw this story. Dangerous stuff. Forgetting the moral argument, what my fear is about is that as we make designer babies we lose the benefits of random babies. People will be saying they want a kid with more of this and less of that. They want a daughter that looks like the Kardashians. They want a son with a predisposition for computer skills. Whatever. Then society gets out of balance.

Brave New World!
The President is a fink.
March 30th, 2016 at 7:53:38 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I posted this article under 'religion' because I think we could have the makings of a religious war if this author is correct.

Fat chance :)

After decades, IVF remains an expensive and difficult proposition. I've some second-hand knowledge of this. That's why it's confined mostly to women or couples who cannot conceive by other means (and this includes the use of surrogate mothers). I don't think it's widespread even in cases where the parents have high risk for passing on a genetic condition to their children.

It could become cheaper and more reliable, but it will always be more difficult and more expensive than the natural alternatives, including artificial insemination. Screening for genetics probably won't be a compelling argument for it.

And as far as I know, #12 was conceived "naturally."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 30th, 2016 at 12:47:31 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67

This is indeed very scary stuff. As we move more and more to separate sexual activity from procreation and make it more and more simply recreation we find ourselves more and more confused about not only the nature and purpose of sex, but who we are as human beings.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
March 30th, 2016 at 2:25:17 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
This is indeed very scary stuff. As we move more and more to separate sexual activity from procreation and make it more and more simply recreation we find ourselves more and more confused about not only the nature and purpose of sex, but who we are as human beings.

It's not confusing at all, except to the
Church, apparently. Men and women
have been pleasuring themselves
since they started walking on two legs,
it's hardly new. It's completely natural
and not confusing in the least. Unless
you try and make it confusing, like
the Church does.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 30th, 2016 at 2:34:33 PM permalink
Nareed
As we move more and more to separate sexual activity from procreation and make it more and more simply recreation we find ourselves more and more confused about not only the nature and purpose of sex, but who we are as human beings.

Right. This radical, evil idea of using sex as an expression of romantic love makes women think "Why not pump myself full of fertility drugs and hormones, undergo surgery to harvest ova, and plunk down thousands for a rather small chance at conception?"

You just have to be crazy not to do it, right?
March 30th, 2016 at 2:46:47 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3

Isn't the Catholic church, in approving a method to avoid pregnancy, so that married couples can have sex with a reduced chance of getting pregnant, separating sexual activity from procreation?

Isn't it also begging the question to suggest that people are deviating from what the church has declared as the purpose of sex? It is assuming that the catholic church is correct and anyone who disagrees is wrong.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 30th, 2016 at 3:09:37 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

+1.
The President is a fink.
March 30th, 2016 at 3:14:04 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Dalex64
Isn't the Catholic church, in approving a method to avoid pregnancy, so that married couples can have sex with a reduced chance of getting pregnant, separating sexual activity from procreation?

Not when you doublethink correctly.

Quote:
It is assuming that the catholic church is correct and anyone who disagrees is wrong.

Is there any doubt that's their central operational assumption? Big religions tend to become totalitarian. It's the smaller religions which can, indeed must, preach tolerance. For them it's a matter of survival.

We're fortunate to be living at a time when the larger culture favors tolerance overall. And we're even more fortunate to live at a time and a place when the separation of church and state is strong.
March 30th, 2016 at 6:59:02 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Dalex64

Not at all. They are using our natural and healthy cycles to attempt to postpone pregnancy for good reasons. They are also recognizing that the two goods of sex, the union of couples and procreation, are always intimately connected.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
Page 1 of 51234>Last »