an unmarried woman who decides to have
sex outside of marriage. Then she decides
to have unprotected sex. The she decides to
have it more than once, the vast majority of
women do not get pregnant on just a few
sexual encounters. And finally, she decides
whether to have an abortion or not.

Too many choices.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 31st, 2016 at 6:13:31 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
It sounds like you are advocating for the position of the Catholic church, to practice abstinence until you are married.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 31st, 2016 at 6:38:37 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Dalex64
It sounds like you are advocating for the position of the Catholic church, to practice abstinence until you are married.

No, I'm saying if you're going to screw
around use protection. I know women
who've had abortions and it bothers
them decades later. It would bother me
if I was the father of an aborted child.
I was a real fetus at one time, I was a
real person in there. A darn fine looking
one, as well..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 31st, 2016 at 7:52:36 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Evenbob
No, I'm saying if you're going to screw
around use protection.

Heh, that reminds me. You would think someone who sees abortions as evil would be enthusiastic for condom use as a practical measure to reduce that evil instead of the importance of following a screwy doctrine, that seems to allow them (maybe) only in prevention of serious disease (if even that).

I ain't mentioning any names, but he works for the Pope.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 31st, 2016 at 9:52:41 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
Heh, that reminds me. You would think someone who sees abortions as evil would be enthusiastic for condom use as a practical measure to reduce that evil instead of the importance of following a screwy doctrine,

They don't like contraception because you
make more new Catholics by forcing them
to have as many kids as possible. And it's
working, the religion is growing by leaps
and bounds in Central and S America.

The problem is, these are poor countries
that tend to be a drain on the Church and
not a boon. The places where they need
grow, the rich EU countries, are becoming
more and more secular and want nothing
to do with the Church. For centuries they
have made the Vatican wealthy beyond
measure. Those days are long gone.
March 31st, 2016 at 10:05:23 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Wizard
I think you're absolutely right. I was going to challenge some pro-choice points, but decided against it, so am glad to see you doing it.

You should read more of the arguments of how we ended up in this position. Do you know how much of the law has been muddled by people with their own agenda in all camps?

For instance, when pro-lifers argue they are sponsoring legislation to protect the mother's health, when they are really are making another end run at stopping abortion the law gets increasingly muddled. Also, even if you can't get a doctor prosecuted for doing legal abortions, you can still get sympathy with a woman intentionally hurt. A jury might be more inclined to act on those penalties say, in an assault case of intentional injury not realizing the implications in other situations.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 31st, 2016 at 10:56:34 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: rxwine
You should read more of the arguments of how we ended up in this position. Do you know how much of the law has been muddled by people with their own agenda in all camps?

For instance, when pro-lifers argue they are sponsoring legislation to protect the mother's health, when they are really are making another end run at stopping abortion the law gets increasingly muddled. Also, even if you can't get a doctor prosecuted for doing legal abortions, you can still get sympathy with a woman intentionally hurt. A jury might be more inclined to act on those penalties say, in an assault case of intentional injury not realizing the implications in other situations.

rx...maybe I'm too tired tonight to parse this out, but even though it's likely I agree with you, what the heck are you saying? :)
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
March 31st, 2016 at 11:08:44 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: beachbumbabs
rx...maybe I'm too tired tonight to parse this out, but even though it's likely I agree with you, what the heck are you saying? :)

Hah ha. I'm also tired.
March 31st, 2016 at 11:30:31 PM permalink
rxwine
Here's a thought experiment.

I bought a brand new mail box for out front by the road. Tomorrow, I'm going to dig up the cement base and pole of the old one and put the new one in.

However, my neighbor veered off the road this evening and took out my old mail box in the process and even unearthed the base. My job is already half done.

So, in one case, if I had not been planning on replacing it, he would have caused harm. However, since I was replacing it he did not cause harm, in fact he helped me do half the job.

So, anyway, the mailbox is the same object -- but the circumstances can change whether an action is permissible or one can seek damages. It's not so clear cut that the same actions affect a party the same way.
March 31st, 2016 at 11:37:00 PM permalink
rxwine
I guess that last thing was an example of something that can both be claimed as a harm in one case, and a benefit it the other, yet the action was the same.
Page 7 of 10« First<45678910>