Explanation Missing ?

April 7th, 2016 at 1:39:56 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Neanderthal Y chromosomes did not make the cut - they no longer exist, while other Neanderthal DNA has been found.

Either I am missing something, or an obvious explanation is not being mentioned.

Quote: link
It may be, Bustamante said, that genes in the Neanderthal's Y chromosome were incompatible with human genes

Well, seems to me that Neanderthals may have been captured and enslaved by other humans, while the reverse did not happen. Even if it did, it turned into a dead end. The Neanderthals as a distinct gene pool vanished.

In the former case, the enslaved men would not be allowed to breed. It was probably a type of enslavement not similar to the 19th century. Slaves would be taken after defeating these people in war, but there was little thought of having a set of breeding slaves in order to produce more slaves. Hybrid children may have been kept, however.

In the latter case, same thing, but the gene pool was doomed.

Am I missing something?

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2016/04/07/Modern-male-DNA-without-Y-chromosome-genes-from-Neanderthals/3451460053267/
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 7th, 2016 at 8:46:05 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: odiousgambit
The Neanderthals as a distinct gene pool vanished.
That is because a Neanderthal was nothing but an ordinary human deprived of sufficient iodine for generations.
April 8th, 2016 at 5:04:27 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Fleastiff
That is because a Neanderthal was nothing but an ordinary human deprived of sufficient iodine for generations.
Vitamin D.
April 8th, 2016 at 6:36:03 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Iodine
Vitamin D
Starbuck's Frapacinnos
April 8th, 2016 at 8:53:32 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
sometimes you see a guy who is stocky etc. in a way that calls up an image of what a Neanderthal might look like, not just looking like just any big guy, but like the artist's renderings. And they are finding Neanderthal dna in us now to some degree.

Makes you wonder sometimes.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]