2 votes (25%)
1 vote (12.5%)
1 vote (12.5%)
3 votes (37.5%)

8 members have voted

April 27th, 2016 at 10:24:32 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Is this Geico commercial even-handed on the issue of why men don't ask for directions enough to suit women?

Clearly, the female side of it is handled sympathetically. And it suits the type of humor to do that, since most of us have seen it played out exactly like that. But notice that 'Jane' decides to ask just any old ignorant ape for directions. Tarzan is rightly insulted by the implied contempt at his own ability to get back on track, seems to me.

And, yes, all women will smile at the last joke, but isn't Tarzan thinking "when we were courting you never complained about that!"

Vote in the Poll

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 27th, 2016 at 11:59:39 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Is it fair?

I know I don't ask. Won't ask. If I can't figure out how to get there, I don't deserve to go there. And is asking a random on the street that much different than asking a random monkey? (Chimps aren't apes =p)

I'm more offended he called himself the King of the Jungle. That would be the lion (though they are neither the strongest cat nor live in the jungle =p)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 27th, 2016 at 12:09:47 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: Face
Is it fair?

I know I don't ask. Won't ask. If I can't figure out how to get there, I don't deserve to go there. And is asking a random on the street that much different than asking a random monkey? (Chimps aren't apes =p)

I'm more offended he called himself the King of the Jungle. That would be the lion (though they are neither the strongest cat nor live in the jungle =p)

I'd say they just throw in a few things to make it more balanced, it doesn't get to 'fair', men are the butt of the joke here. What I wonder about: is the fairness accidental? just my perception?

And guys my age are used to the ridiculousness of King of the Jungle and all that.

(Chimps aren't apes =p)

They aren't?
April 27th, 2016 at 12:49:27 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
(Chimps aren't apes...)

Quote: odiousgambit
...They aren't?

PACOOOO.... Bring the Britannica!
April 27th, 2016 at 12:59:39 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
If that was Tarzan, then the chimp was a Cheeta. (h)

: )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheeta
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 27th, 2016 at 1:01:05 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

They aren't?

Sh...

Went too fast, now you got me thinking. Great apes, lesser apes, old/new world monkeys... no tail, swinging shoulder... nvm. I retract my correction.

That's the official answer, anyway. Real talk, everything but orangutans are monkeys, and all monkeys should be hunted to extinction.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 27th, 2016 at 5:03:41 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Making fun of men in ads has been allowed for decades. The woman in an ad will always come out on top. Nothing different here.
The President is a fink.
April 27th, 2016 at 5:39:33 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
Making fun of men in ads has been allowed for decades. The woman in an ad will always come out on top. Nothing different here.

Women can be mean and nasty, like
in Everybody Loves Raymond and
Modern Family. But the men are
always clueless dopes and that's
fine. In I Love Lucy, she was the dopey
one and Ricky was smart and dependable.
That's was before women's lib changed
the dynamic in the 70's. It was kind
of approaching that with Bewitched and
other 60's shows anyway.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 27th, 2016 at 6:20:07 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: rxwine
If that was Tarzan, then the chimp was a Cheeta. (h)

: )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheeta

actually, naming that chimp Cheeta never made since to me when I was a kid, it bothered me, since a Cheetah was an African animal and the chimp shared no characteristics of speedy predator.
April 28th, 2016 at 12:15:13 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188

Clearly, the female side of it is handled sympathetically.

Really? I saw it as a parody of a woman complaining.

Had it been sympathetic, she would have been playing as a smart woman in a preposterous situation.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 1 of 212>