1 vote (12.5%)
1 vote (12.5%)
3 votes (37.5%)

8 members have voted

April 28th, 2016 at 2:31:25 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: rxwine
Really? I saw it as a parody of a woman complaining.

Had it been sympathetic, she would have been playing as a smart woman in a preposterous situation.

Interesting.

At the moment she asks a stupid ape for directions - it resonated for me - that I can say.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 28th, 2016 at 7:32:16 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: odiousgambit
At the moment she asks a stupid ape for directions - it resonated for me - that I can say.
You see anything else around that she could have addressed her question to? She spoke in English; the chimp/ape responded "Your place or Mine". Geico just airs it hoping it gets a response from the target audience.
April 28th, 2016 at 8:16:59 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Tarzan was raised by the apes, so it makes sense in the context of the commercial parody that she would ask a local, clueless or not; part of their legend is that the chimps and apes are fellow travelers. He's rightly frustrated that she would ask, just like men get when a woman gets frustrated driving in circles while it would be easy to ask someone local but the man refuses.

I think it's funny, and demeaning of neither one (they demean each other, and the commercial captures that). I do think she has a great moment when she mocks him, though it makes her look just as bad as he is; I don't believe in public arguments (as in demeaning the other party with others present) between a couple when it degenerates to insults and mocking, and they capture that awfulness really well. She's just funny. The commercial itself puts that behavior from both of them into a parody that might actually help (subconsciously) those who find themselves trapped once again in a familiar spousal argument.

Overthinking it, I'm sure, but seems to be the level you're trying to dissect.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
April 28th, 2016 at 12:16:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
My take on the commercial is it's portraying the
woman as how men see them, always complaining
and mocking in some way. Men do get
lost sometimes, and we don't like asking for
directions. Every man has had a wife or GF just
like in the commercial, that treats us like we're
children. Their tone and demeanor constantly
reminds us that we're not performing up to
their expectations, it gets real old after awhile.
It's why Ace of Spades is in business.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 28th, 2016 at 12:38:04 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: beachbumbabs
Tarzan was raised by the apes, so it makes sense in the context of the commercial parody that she would ask a local, clueless or not; part of their legend is that the chimps and apes are fellow travelers. He's rightly frustrated that she would ask, just like men get when a woman gets frustrated driving in circles while it would be easy to ask someone local but the man refuses.

I think it's funny, and demeaning of neither one (they demean each other, and the commercial captures that). I do think she has a great moment when she mocks him, though it makes her look just as bad as he is; I don't believe in public arguments (as in demeaning the other party with others present) between a couple when it degenerates to insults and mocking, and they capture that awfulness really well. She's just funny. The commercial itself puts that behavior from both of them into a parody that might actually help (subconsciously) those who find themselves trapped once again in a familiar spousal argument.

Overthinking it, I'm sure, but seems to be the level you're trying to dissect.

I was hoping BBB would respond! We need more women here just like at WoV.

I see your point, when she asks a clueless ape the writers may merely have been thinking "who would happen to be in the neighborhood of Tarzan of the Apes?" ... but it turns out to be perfect!
April 28th, 2016 at 7:47:34 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
My take on the commercial is it's portraying the
woman as how men see them, always complaining
and mocking in some way.

https://www.geico.com/about/commercials/#.VyLIuXUrIu8 (16 Geico commercials)

Tarzan know, where Tarzan go
Tarzan does not know, where Tarzan go (mockingly)

Actually in my experience it's not subtle mocking, it's shouting and throwing things and complete mayhem.

The most recent common ancestor of all (great apes) orHominidae lived roughly 14 million years ago, when the ancestors of the orangutans speciated from the ancestral line of the other three great apes (gorillas, chimpanzees, and various types of human beings).

The chimpanzee line split from the last common ancestor of the human line around six million years ago. Because no species other than Homo sapiens has survived from the human line of that branching, both chimpanzee species are the closest living relatives of humans. The chimpanzee's lineage diverged from the gorilla's about seven million years ago.

Family Hominidae: (members are called great apes)
>Subfamily Ponginae
>>Tribe Pongini
>>>Genus Pongo
>>>>Bornean orangutan, Pongo pygmaeus
>>>>>Pongo pygmaeus pygmaeus
>>>>>Pongo pygmaeus morio
>>>>>Pongo pygmaeus wurmbii
>>>>Sumatran orangutan, Pongo abelii

>Subfamily Homininae
>>Tribe Gorillini
>>>Genus Gorilla
>>>>Western gorilla, Gorilla gorilla
>>>>>Western lowland gorilla, Gorilla gorilla gorilla
>>>>>Cross River gorilla, Gorilla gorilla diehli
>>>>Eastern gorilla, Gorilla beringei
>>>>>Mountain gorilla, Gorilla beringei beringei
>>>>>Eastern lowland gorilla, Gorilla beringei graueri
>>Tribe Hominini
>>>Subtribe Panina
>>>>Genus Pan
>>>>>Chimpanzee (common chimpanzee), Pan troglodytes
>>>>>>Central chimpanzee, Pan troglodytes troglodytes
>>>>>>Western chimpanzee, Pan troglodytes verus
>>>>>>Nigeria-Cameroon chimpanzee, Pan troglodytes ellioti
>>>>>>Eastern chimpanzee, Pan troglodytes schweinfurthii
>>>>Bonobo (pygmy chimpanzee), Pan paniscus
>>>Subtribe Hominina
>>>>>Genus Homo
>>>>>Human, Homo sapiens
>>>>>>Anatomically modern human, Homo sapiens sapiens

I know it is confusing that have subtribes with only a single genus, but that's the way it is.
April 28th, 2016 at 8:13:23 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Pacomartin
https://www.geico.com/about/commercials/#.VyLIuXUrIu8 (16 Geico commercials)

Why no Camel commercial?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 29th, 2016 at 2:31:12 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: Pacomartin
The most recent common ancestor of all (great apes) orHominidae lived roughly 14 million years ago, when the ancestors of the orangutans speciated from the ancestral line of the other three great apes (gorillas, chimpanzees, and various types of human beings).

At the time Burroughs wrote Tarzan, 1912, the possible existence of other Great Apes was more seriously considered. Although the existence of the Gorilla was scientifically confirmed by 1847, you can hardly say Science knew much more than that they were real, or could say what else might be out there; Wikipedia says the Gorilla was not systematically studied until the 1920s.

Tarzan's creator imagined a species he called "The Mangani", "described by Burroughs as approximately man-sized, and appear to be a species intermediate between chimpanzees and gorillas." [wikipedia article again]
Page 2 of 2<12