Cell Phone Plan Suggestions

Page 1 of 3123>
May 14th, 2016 at 2:57:31 AM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
For any of you who might know, I have an iphone 6s bought in Australia. I will require a US sim to use in it when I visit in August. Calls not so important but will need sufficient data for a 2.5wk stay primarily in Vegas, Yosemite & New York City (also driving LA-Vegas-Yosemite-SF). Good coverage is important so looking for something that will give me internet access in most areas. Any suggestions on provider, plan and where I would likely go to get one when arriving in LA?
May 14th, 2016 at 4:07:02 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Aussie
For any of you who might know, I have an iphone 6s bought in Australia. I will require a US sim to use in it when I visit in August. Calls not so important but will need sufficient data for a 2.5wk stay primarily in Vegas, Yosemite & New York City (also driving LA-Vegas-Yosemite-SF). Good coverage is important so looking for something that will give me internet access in most areas. Any suggestions on provider, plan and where I would likely go to get one when arriving in LA?

Go with Ting. I use them, just switched phoned again. They will send a little SIM cad you can pop in and activate. No contracts, yoiu could probably put you card for, OZ on your dresser and pop it back in upon your return. Ting is on the Sprint network but the pricing is tiered by month, so you pay for the level you use. No messy termination fees, either.
The President is a fink.
May 14th, 2016 at 4:49:30 AM permalink
Aussie
Thanks for the suggestion. I will take a look.

I have just realised I wasn't particularly clear. Not looking for a plan as such but something prepaid with a set amount of data and calls etc. But your suggestions sounds like it would be suitable too.
May 14th, 2016 at 4:55:09 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Thanks for the suggestion. I will take a look.

I have just realised I wasn't particularly clear. Not looking for a plan as such but something prepaid with a set amount of data and calls etc. But your suggestions sounds like it would be suitable too.

This could work out the same or better. With prepaid you risk either running out or stranding cash, even minimal cash. This would not lock you but give flexibility, probably cheaper also. Just remember to cancel when you get home.
The President is a fink.
May 14th, 2016 at 5:50:21 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
You could try this:

https://www.zipsim.us/
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 14th, 2016 at 8:02:49 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
. Good coverage is important so looking for something that will give me internet access in most areas.

Ting is a Sprint Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO). You will always get the lowest prices using SPRINT network, but you get little or no coverage in most rural areas especially Yosemite and driving to Yosemite.

Sprint is now owned by Softbank, a Japanese company, and T-Mobile is owned by Deutsche Telekom. Verizon and AT&T are children of the old Bell Telephone which was broken up into independent companies by a U.S. Justice Department mandate on December 31, 1983. Even though the breakup occurred before wireless phones became common, the offshoot companies had more money to purchase frequencies to get a better network.

Quote: Yosemite Q&A
Will my cell phone work in Yosemite?

AT&T: Voice and 3G (4G HSPA+) data service are available in parts of Yosemite Valley Voice and EDGE data service are available at Tuolumne Meadows.

Verizon Wireless: Voice and 3G data service are available in parts of Yosemite Valley and El Portal. Voice and 1x data service are available in Tuolumne Meadows, Crane Flat, and Wawona.

Lee Vining California is the entrance to Yosemite
http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?ECID=SEM:Google:p:2016_Q2_PT:Brand_Core_BMM_GEOA:Coverage_Map:sprint_coverage_map:Broad&gclid=CjwKEAjwmdu5BRCg1O3a-tDY0AQSJACKPgRKWwW9m56FvTIgQ_pOcx_GXY0VbPWYTd6bl_Otixjn9RoC5bDw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

If the coverage in remote areas is really important, than you should pay more money. Verizon Prepaid is $50 for SIM plus 1 month unlimited talk and text and 1 GB of data. Additional data is $10 per GB.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/verizon-wireless-prepaid-bring-your-own-phone-sim-kit-airtime/4331711.p?id=1219731653503&skuId=4331711&lsft=ref:212,loc:1&ksid=033e354d-f2f8-4291-bd99-7bb07961475d&ksprof_id=10&ksaffcode=pg10345&ksdevice=c&ref=212&loc=1

Ting is inexpensive if you don't use the phone much. Moderate use as defined below is $48 (about same as Verizon Prepaid), and heavy use on Ting will cost more ($15 per GB instead of $10 per GB on Verizon Prepaid)
1) Devices $6 each
2) Minutes Nationwide 1000 $18
3) Text Messages 1000 $5
4) Data 1GB $19

You will have much better coverage on the drive from Vegas to Yosemite, although I don't think anything but a satellite phone will give you coverage right in the park.
https://vzwmap.verizonwireless.com/dotcom/coveragelocator/
May 16th, 2016 at 2:23:42 AM permalink
Aussie
Thanks for these suggestions guys. I will look into them. Another option I have been recommended is to get a T-mobile sim through a site like simcorner.com which could be shipped to me before I travel. Have been told I can get something like 6GB 4G data with adequate calls/texts for a fairly reasonable price. Any thoughts on this provider?
May 16th, 2016 at 9:22:34 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Thanks for these suggestions guys. I will look into them. Another option I have been recommended is to get a T-mobile sim through a site like simcorner.com which could be shipped to me before I travel. Have been told I can get something like 6GB 4G data with adequate calls/texts for a fairly reasonable price. Any thoughts on this provider?

Featured $50 Unlimited Talk, Text* & Data on our network with up to 5GB 4G LTE Data*
+$5 for Mexico + Canada Unlimited For just $5 per month/per line, you can get unlimited calling to and from the U.S. to any number, including mobile phones, in Mexico and Canada. And when you travel throughout the U.S., Mexico, & Canada your phone works the same with 4G LTE data and unlimited calling and texting. To top it off, this service includes unlimited texting from the U.S., Mexico, and Canada to virtually anywhere.

Many kids who are not really interested in talk or text like the T-mobile data only plans
Pay as you go. $3 Get any combination of 30 minutes of talk or 30 texts. (emergency covered)
$10 Weekly pass—up to 1GB of 4G LTE data (expires at 1 GB of data or 1 week, whichever comes first)

Once again, the coverage is going to be much spottier than Verizon or AT&T when driving through the desert or near Yosemite.
July 11th, 2016 at 3:57:00 AM permalink
Aussie
Have decided to go with either AT&T or Verizon for the better coverage in remote areas as recommended above. Probably a simple question and one I'd be able to find myself with a bit of time but where would be the nearest place to buy a sim from one of these providers upon landing in LAS? Either in the airport itself or close to Venetian would be ideal.

EDIT: Not a huge deal as I'll only be there a few days but am I likely to get any coverage in Canada? 1 night in Niagara Falls (guessing being so close to the border would improve the chances) & 2 nights in Toronto.
July 11th, 2016 at 5:00:22 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Have decided to go with either AT&T or Verizon for the better coverage in remote areas as recommended above. Probably a simple question and one I'd be able to find myself with a bit of time but where would be the nearest place to buy a sim from one of these providers upon landing in LAS? Either in the airport itself or close to Venetian would be ideal.

EDIT: Not a huge deal as I'll only be there a few days but am I likely to get any coverage in Canada? 1 night in Niagara Falls (guessing being so close to the border would improve the chances) & 2 nights in Toronto.

I had fine coverage in Canada. You will get a "Welcome to Canada" text after you cross the border and leave the USA networks. Said text will be a friendly reminder that all texts and calls cost extra. Not Mexico type rates but I would not text for fun as it might add up.
The President is a fink.
Page 1 of 3123>