Corporate Death Watch

Page 4 of 7<1234567>
June 18th, 2018 at 7:30:54 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich
I would say that I buy the majority of my casual clothes at Kohl;s. Their prices always seemed good to me for the quality. I use Kohls.com, I do not go into the store.

I rarely go there, but I rarely buy clothes. But they do have some nicer stuff than Wal-Arget has. And they always have good coupons somewhere.
The President is a fink.
June 18th, 2018 at 10:54:42 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Evenbob
By 1975 there were 16,400 malls making up 33% of all retail sales and by 1987 there were 30,000 malls accounting for 50% of all retail dollars spent. The mall had taken over America.
Mall culture had truly arrived in the United States. Films and TV shows proliferated the idea of the “valley girl,” and the “mall rat.” In 1992, at the height of mall culture, The Mall of America, not too far from the first mall in Edina, Minnesota, opened its doors. The Mall of America occupied 78 acres making it the largest mall in the United States. On opening day The Mall of America had 330 stores, an amusement park, and employed 10,000 people. By the mid-1990s, however, the concept of "the mall" had hit its peak. 140 malls were being built a year, creating too much competition.

The first two big malls opened
here in 1967. It was a huge deal.
Gigantic. The big one even had
a movieplex, no more going into
the city for a movie. I remember
going to the mall every day in
1990 to walk. There were walkers
everywhere, I wonder if they
still do that in the winter.

The house I was born in, in Bloomington, is now a parking lot for Mall ofor America.

I shopped there once, a few years ago. Way too big.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
June 18th, 2018 at 10:58:31 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: AZDuffman
I rarely go there, but I rarely buy clothes. But they do have some nicer stuff than Wal-Arget has. And they always have good coupons somewhere.

Kohls, at least the one here, does deceptive pricing. They mark an artificially high price on something, then slash it via coupons or whatever gimmick that week to make you think it's a deal. A lot of furniture stores do the same thing.

I think it's crap merchandising, so I generally don't shop at stores that structure that way.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
June 18th, 2018 at 11:27:19 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

The Phillipsburg Mall is featured in this "Dead Mall Series" which was shot 2.5 years ago when the Kohl's, Sears, and Bonton's. Now it just has a Kohl's and an antique store. This video is pretty dull so I would only watch a few seconds.
June 18th, 2018 at 12:00:32 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
The Phillipsburg Mall is featured in this "Dead Mall Series" .

I think the Walmart superstore concept
that started around 1990 had a lot
to do with killing malls. You can buy
everything but lumber at a Walmart,
why would you want or need to go
to a mall. Just this weekend I bought
paint, underwear, bird suet, tomato
plants, a new keyboard, and all my
groceries at Walmart.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 18th, 2018 at 7:16:56 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: beachbumbabs
I think it's crap merchandising, so I generally don't shop at stores that structure that way.

I ordered a knife set online and it
was such utter crap, so embarrassingly
bad, I took it back to the store for
a refund. First and last time I was
ever in Kohl's.

It was all minorities and old people,
like me. All the stuff I looked at was
hugely overpriced compared to
Target and Walmart. There has to be
a gimmick to shopping there. The
knives were the quality of a carnival
prize, shoddy, like they were toys.
And there was a huge line at the
service dept of people returning stuff,
and it was in March, not the week
after Xmas.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 19th, 2018 at 3:37:20 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
I ordered a knife set online and it
was such utter crap, so embarrassingly
bad, I took it back to the store for
a refund. First and last time I was
ever in Kohl's.

The knives were the quality of a carnival
prize, shoddy, like they were toys.

The President is a fink.
June 19th, 2018 at 6:17:21 AM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: beachbumbabs
Kohls, at least the one here, does deceptive pricing. They mark an artificially high price on something, then slash it via coupons or whatever gimmick that week to make you think it's a deal. A lot of furniture stores do the same thing.

This was my experience too, and I'll never go back.

I was searching for a particular brand of comfy T-shirt, and had just been to Walmart, where I bought a 5-pack of boxer-briefs for $9. Kohl's had the exact same package priced at $35, but "everything in the store" was on sale for 20% off. I could save another 10% by applying for the Kohl's credit card.

I didn't buy anything.
June 19th, 2018 at 12:09:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: zippyboy
I was searching for a particular brand of comfy T-shirt, and had just been to Walmart, where I bought a 5-pack of boxer-briefs for $9. Kohl's had the exact same package priced at $35,

That's what I said. I was looking at
a freezer online and Kohl's had
exactly the same freezer as Amazon
and Target, only it was 30% more.
All their stuff is like that. Fingerhut
is the same way, but they market
to people who can't get credit
anywhere. Kohl's must be the same.
June 19th, 2018 at 1:51:06 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I worked in a small department store after high school for the summer, and even though we had lots of stuff marked discounted there were only a few items at a time which were really a good sales price. They hope people pick up some other items while buying the one item they came in for.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 4 of 7<1234567>