Tires

Page 2 of 10<12345>Last »
May 23rd, 2016 at 1:50:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Nareed

Never. It's 150 million kilometers away. have you any idea how long it takes to walk back from there??

Such a literalist..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 23rd, 2016 at 1:51:43 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
The Costco's in El Norte have deals when you buy four tires. I think I just saw $70 off a set of four Michelin's.

I assume you do not have a full size spare that could be rotated out. They are fairly rare nowadays. Some manufacturers only give you a can of "Fix-a-Flat".

The rule of thumb on wear is that if you put a a penny into the deepest part of the tread, you should not be able to see the top of Lincoln's head.
May 23rd, 2016 at 1:56:42 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I see there is good information here, and I am pleased ;)

I especially like petro's comment about the age. Rubber is always curing, becoming more brittle as it ages, and the heat cycling (warming and cooling from use) accelerates this. UV is also wreaks havoc on rubber, and you're closer to the equator than any of us.

The date of manufacture is one good piece of info. You can find it stamped on the tire, in quite small font, usually very close to the rim. It'll be a bunch of gibberish like this...

It tells you many things, from the manufacturer all the way to the very factory it came from, but it's the numbers you want. "1709" in this case refers to "17th week, 09th year". This tire was made, and began its curing, in May of 2009.

While it's info, it's not perfect. Temperature and light affects these things greatly, and temp and light vary hugely across the world. The BEST test you can do with your own self is just what petro said. Let some air out until the tire begins to bulge, then visually inspect that bulge. If there are cracks, you've only got some twine and about .01" of adhesive keeping the air in.

This probably doesn't help right now, but it's something you should keep in mind when purchasing. You don't want a dealer trying to pawn off some stale tires onto your Corolla.

I personally run tires until they're bald and then put another 5k on them. Unless I got inspection upcoming, I just run it. Water does become pretty dangerous then, as the lightest scrim becomes almost snow-like, but I can't say I've had any other problems. I've never had normal debris like a rock or pebble puncture any of my bald tires.

Don't worry about replacing them as a set. Shop around. I got a full set of used tires for my truck for $50. New they would've been $1,000 minimum, and the tires I got were perfectly fine. I get my race tires online for $44 each, rather than $75 at the store.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 23rd, 2016 at 1:59:32 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Ayecarumba
The Costco's in El Norte have deals when you buy four tires. I think I just saw $70 off a set of four Michelin's.

The only deal here was if you bought 4 tires on the website. but I've no idea what tires I need. I do now, but only after I drove there and the mechanic looked it up. Anyway the deal was 1,000 peso discount, that's about US$50-60 (depending on the exchange rate)

Quote:
I assume you do not have a full size spare that could be rotated out.

Oh, if I did I wouldn't have needed a new one :) Or at least not urgently. I could have just changed it, then shopped around and get a new one on the weekend.

The thing is the wheel on the spare tire does not support a regular tire. It's narrower.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 23rd, 2016 at 3:01:17 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Face
It tells you many things, from the manufacturer all the way to the very factory it came from, but it's the numbers you want. "1709" in this case refers to "17th week, 09th year". This tire was made, and began its curing, in May of 2009.

<rolleyes> by now you'd think we'd have a standardized way of stamping dates on products....

I'll check the new tire if/when I go home today. I'll check the old tires, too.

Quote:
The BEST test you can do with your own self is just what petro said. Let some air out until the tire begins to bulge, then visually inspect that bulge.

Oh, no. the best I can do is take it to a tire repair shop (we have literally dozens in each neighborhood) and ask them to look them over.

Quote:
I personally run tires until they're bald and then put another 5k on them.

I'm a bit less reckless than that, unless I need the money for more urgent things. I wouldn't worry too much as it is right now, except the rainy season is fast approaching. We've had some previews of it already.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 28th, 2019 at 7:07:11 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Just bought a 2016 Ford F-150 XL Super cab pickup truck
The Truck actually monitors tire pressure
How does it do that?
I am real big on keeping my tires properly inflated because I tow a RV camper so important with all that weight on the tires, they are inflated properly.
Its real nice the truck monitors this but should I trust it and how does it do it
Is it monitoring the height of the suspension and if it drops a bit, system thinks tires underinflated
I can't imagine sensors are connected to the tires
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 28th, 2019 at 7:13:26 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: terapined
Just bought a 2016 Ford F-150 XL Super cab pickup truck
The Truck actually monitors tire pressure
How does it do that?
I am real big on keeping my tires properly inflated because I tow a RV camper so important with all that weight on the tires, they are inflated properly.
Its real nice the truck monitors this but should I trust it and how does it do it
Is it monitoring the height of the suspension and if it drops a bit, system thinks tires underinflated
I can't imagine sensors are connected to the tires

Sensors are connected inside the tires and wirelessly send the data.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
January 28th, 2019 at 7:18:29 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: kenarman

And has been a requirement on all new cars for years now.
The President is a fink.
January 28th, 2019 at 7:19:29 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
The other way is to measure tire pressure indirectly, by measuring the rotation rate of each wheel.

For example, if the rate of rotation of the front left wheel isn't the same as the rate of the front right, then they are likely not equally inflated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire-pressure_monitoring_system
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 28th, 2019 at 7:20:37 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: kenarman

Are these sensors now common in replacement tires?
Are these sensors standard across all car models
This is real neat how the tires are monitored
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
Page 2 of 10<12345>Last »