Tires

Page 8 of 10« First<5678910>
April 3rd, 2019 at 11:36:03 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich
I was shocked the first time i ordered a tire from Tirerack. It was about 12 years ago for my daughters car. I got home from the office and the tire is just sitting on my porch. No box,no packing material, just a tire with a Fedex sticker on it. I don't think I have ever received anything else that didn't come in a box.

Makes sense. Next to impossible to damage during shipment. Other than wrapping in paper, not much packaging needed. Save resources.
The President is a fink.
April 3rd, 2019 at 12:00:52 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: JimRockford
Tirerack.com
They have everything. You'll get it in a couple of days. They will drop ship it to an installer or to your house. Since you have a pickup it's probably easier to have it shipped to your home. Just take it to a tire shop and have it mounted and balanced.

I checked it out
Tirerack - Power King Towmax STR II ST175/80R13 $56.77, no tax and no shipping charge, can have it tomorrow
Costco - Greenball Towmaster SS ST175/80R13 $46.99 plus tax for 50.98 but will take 2 weeks
I was on a festival message board and they recommended not riding on RV tires over 5 years old
hmm
One of my RV tires I am riding on is 6 years old. Thinking about replacing that one now
The festival I normally tow my camper to (Spirit of the Suwanee Music Park and camp ground) is only 3 hours away so I did not pay much attention to my tires, just short tows.
Now I have this long Tampa to Virginia tow planned, better make sure all my tires are good

added edit. Costco called, tire ready, only took a few days, not 2 weeks. , Tire, taxes, balance, installation and disposal, $68.26
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 3rd, 2019 at 1:14:16 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: terapined
I checked it out
Tirerack - Power King Towmax STR II ST175/80R13 $56.77, no tax and no shipping charge, can have it tomorrow
Costco - Greenball Towmaster SS ST175/80R13 $46.99 plus tax for 50.98 but will take 2 weeks
I was on a festival message board and they recommended not riding on RV tires over 5 years old
hmm
One of my RV tires I am riding on is 6 years old. Thinking about replacing that one now
The festival I normally tow my camper to (Spirit of the Suwanee Music Park and camp ground) is only 3 hours away so I did not pay much attention to my tires, just short tows.
Now I have this long Tampa to Virginia tow planned, better make sure all my tires are good

added edit. Costco called, tire ready, only took a few days, not 2 weeks. , Tire, taxes, balance, installation and disposal, $68.26
What # on that tire size is making the tire difficult to acquire, the 80R part? Can't be the 175 or the 13? Or is it the bolt pattern? Is it way out of line to think of a slightly different size, as long as it fit your rims? I'm not a tire pro.

Can you change the wheels, to then be able to use a really common size tire? It's not like it would effect the odometer, just a thought, to be done messing with this oddball size.

After more consideration, I completely agree about just changing that tire out rather than save what is actually a very small amount of money, and for that price and peace of mind, I would have all new rubber. It's not the cheap stage of our lives anymore. And, you will soon be towing it all over the place. I always have kept excellent tires under me, since I became an adult. As Face said, it is easier to pull some things within 30 miles of home, that aren't wise on long trips.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 3rd, 2019 at 1:36:52 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
I checked it out
hmm

If you go with Tirerack you'll pay your local shop about $15 per tire for mounting and balancing. I believe Costco includes mounting and balancing in their quote.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
April 3rd, 2019 at 2:06:27 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: petroglyph
What # on that tire size is making the tire difficult to acquire, the 80R part? Can't be the 175 or the 13? Or is it the bolt pattern? Is it way out of line to think of a slightly different size, as long as it fit your rims? I'm not a tire pro.

I have no idea.
I figured tirerack with next day delivery, must have every tire in stock
I enter the size, just given 1 choice
Checking the tires on the RV, they are a little larger Carlisle Sport Trail ST185/80D13 manufactured 38th week of 2011 and a Transmaster ST185/80R13 manufactured 42nd week of 2017
I enter this size into tirerack, again, just 1 choice
To find the manufacture date, look for the DOT number. Last 4 digits refer to week(01 to 56) and year of manufacture. example my tires 3811 and 4217
I'm gonna replace the 2011 manufactured tire to be safe
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 4th, 2019 at 7:28:18 AM permalink
terapined
I was playing around with google search looking at tires
came across this website
simpletire.com
I enter my unusual tire size
It comes back with tons of choices. Just about every manufacturer out there that makes my size
cool
Now wondering how old the tire is if I buy one
The new spare tire replacement I just bought from Costco, the tire is already 1 1/2 years old :-(
In the simpletire web site, some tires have no reviews, some tires have tons of reviews
I'm thinking getting a tire that has tons of reviews and hopefully that tire I get is not very old since they must sell a lot due to the tons of reviews.
April 4th, 2019 at 10:15:00 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
In the simpletire web site, some tires have no reviews, some tires have tons of reviews
I'm thinking getting a tire that has tons of reviews and hopefully that tire I get is not very old since they must sell a lot due to the tons of reviews.
Clever thinking, but whatever 'aging' has taken place such as UV exposure or mere calendar aging, the aging comes off the back of its life and if you are so concerned about tire health then you are unlikely to be using old tires anyway.
April 4th, 2019 at 11:02:33 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: petroglyph
When you say you've had a blow out in each tire, were those catastrophic blow outs or just flats that may have went on to tear the tire to shreds? One axle or two?
I'm no expert, but have some experience with it. I like to deflate my tires occasionally if they have been on for a long time, because I can't see the weather checks in them when totally inflated? If that tire doesn't have cracks, I'd keep it, especially since it's a spare. imo

Another thing I do, is when the tires are off the rims, I have the valve stems changed out to steel valve stems that last forever. It sucks to lose a pretty good tire, because a stem blew out for lack of 3$. Prevents some accidents with stem damage from happening also. Sounds like you have respect for the might UV rays on your tires also. I have learned to put tire covers on my truck when not using it for more than a few days after going through 4 complete sets of truck tires in 70k miles from UV damage.

I also have a radial tire fix kit in each vehicle and have used them both several times over the years. Also a cheapo 12v air compressor that will reach the tire. I've had flats that I didn't have to remove from the vehicle by using that radial cord plug fix with glue, and just airing back up. Done that 3 times, while still on the vehicle. : )
I should have added, those blow outs were all on pretty new 10 ply tires, E load rated.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 12th, 2019 at 11:21:55 AM permalink
terapined
Getting ready for my 2 week trip living in my RV
Leaving Sat AM
Getting the RV tires properly inflated
Just 2 tires, 1 on each side
BUT
1 tire says 50 PSI, the other 65 PSI.
The 50 PSI pumped up to 50, looks good
The 65 psi was at 40 PSI when I attached my electric tire pump
I pumped it up to 50 PSI, seems fine and seems totally inflated, Its very hard, not soft. Afraid to take it to 65 PSI
Should I be OK with that tire at 50psi. seems fine. Or take it up to 65.
I will have my small electric air pump with me on the trip
August 12th, 2019 at 11:29:24 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Getting ready for my 2 week trip living in my RV
Leaving Sat AM
Getting the RV tires properly inflated
Just 2 tires, 1 on each side
BUT
1 tire says 50 PSI, the other 65 PSI.
The 50 PSI pumped up to 50, looks good
The 65 psi was at 40 PSI when I attached my electric tire pump
I pumped it up to 50 PSI, seems fine and seems totally inflated, Its very hard, not soft. Afraid to take it to 65 PSI
Should I be OK with that tire at 50psi. seems fine. Or take it up to 65.
I will have my small electric air pump with me on the trip

The pressure on the tires is the maximum. The RV manufacturer should have a recommended pressure. Vehicles have it on the door frame.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
Page 8 of 10« First<5678910>