And now for sometrhing light-hearted

May 23rd, 2016 at 4:21:00 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Have you ever wondered how much food some superheroes would need to consume in order to exercise their powers?

I don't know how to make the calculation, but let's try a simplistic shortcut:

Walking for 45 minutes on the treadmill at an average speed of 5 kilometers per hour (kph), I use up about 320 calories. Let's say someone with a lower amount of bodily mass would use up only 290 calories. Ok? Well, the Flash running at 100 times that speed, 500 kph, for that long (way slower than a commercial jet) would expend 29,000 calories.

Assuming he only needed to run that fast for, say, two minutes, which means about ten miles, he'd still use up around 1.290 calories.

The recommended caloric intake for a grown adult is under 2,500 calories, or twice what the Flash uses up at a light jog for two minutes.

I recall one animated Justice League ep when Flash was asked how he took coffee. He answered "cream and 27 sugars." That's about 540 calories, which falls far short of the energy requirements, but at least addresses them. It would also ruin any cup of coffee.

Also, the extreme speeds would either drain his body of all moisture through sweat, or overheat him to death. But that's another issue.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 23rd, 2016 at 10:21:46 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Okay...so Star Trek writers invented the Heisenberg Compensators for all that beaming up; now you can invent the Metabolism Machine.
May 25th, 2016 at 1:35:26 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
As I recall, the Flash's abilities allow him to "vibrate" his atoms, thus allowing him to pass through solid objects (or vice-versa). He is also able to project a "bubble" like force field that protects him from the heat generated by atmospheric friction when he is moving super fast. There have been multiple versions of the Flash in the comics, and not all of them operated by the same mechanics. Some had to consume huge amounts of food to use as fuel. Others draw their super power from another dimension, thus saving the writers from having to explain how the hero had the time to consume the equivalent of a billion Chicken McNuggets in order to run at the speed of light...
May 25th, 2016 at 2:17:37 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Ayecarumba
As I recall, the Flash's abilities allow him to "vibrate" his atoms, thus allowing him to pass through solid objects (or vice-versa).

The real trick would be to keep the atoms from vibrating :)

Quote:
Some had to consume huge amounts of food to use as fuel.

IMO, the Flash would spend so much time eating, he'd mostly run between and inside grocery stores. But it's nice to at least acknowledge the situation. Think about how much food a professional football player or body-builder, or weight-lifter eats. Consider they have to maintain an above-average weight for their height, plus they exercise an awful lot to maintain their musculature.

Quote:
Others draw their super power from another dimension, thus saving the writers from having to explain how the hero had the time to consume the equivalent of a billion Chicken McNuggets in order to run at the speed of light...

If you believe super speed, you may as well buy extradimensional energy sources.

IMO Flash should eat lots of pancakes and bacon, as they provide a nice balance of carbs, protein, fats and pack lots of calories.

Now, if we consider how much energy it would take to propel an NFL running back to hypersonic speeds for a sustained period of time, we get a glimpse of Superman's energy use. Maybe Kryptonian cells contain zero-point energy sources, but are inaccessible under a red sun? :)
July 25th, 2016 at 8:14:42 AM permalink
Nareed
Not exactly related....

Yesterday there was a mini-marathon of OK Batman and Superman movies (only one with both in it). In one, Lex Luthor steals Superman's recipe for a 24-hour superpower serum (Superman made it as a birthday gift for Lois Lane). This allows Luthor to avoid execution, to escape from prison, and to fight the Man of Steel (BTW, do you know that is more or less the meaning of the name "Stalin"? Creepy!)

During the fight, Superman uses a "gravity gun" on Luthor, at one point increasing his personal gravity (?) to 50 times normal (or 500 times? I forget). Luthor's powers expire well short of the 24 hour guarantee. Why? Well, he himself says "Gravity affects time."

This is very true, and has been confirmed empirically. But gravity slows down time. This means the stronger the gravitational field, the slower time passes in relation to lower gravitational fields. So increasing Luthor's "personal gravity" (??!) would have extended his super power time , not decreased it <roll-eyes>.

That was the least among all the preposterous things that happened din this rambling movie, but the one thing they tried to "explain" using actual science. So I made a note of it.
July 25th, 2016 at 11:06:54 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Nareed
That was the least among all the preposterous things that happened din this rambling movie, but the one thing they tried to "explain" using actual science. So I made a note of it.
For a moment that sounded as if you were commenting on one of those Bible related movies they air around Christmas and Easter.